The Nicolas Batum translated blogs/interviews thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by number 10, Mar 16, 2009.

1. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
  2. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    March 16th

[​IMG]

I scored 20 points for the first time against New Jersey. There's something symbolic about reaching this mark. Doing it as soon as my first season makes a good impression. The most important thing was that I made the decisive shot, a three pointer, with 25 seconds left in the game. I was wide open so I took my chance. I didn't really have the time to reflect. Besides, on the replay you can see that I didn't hesitate. My teammates congratulated me but it stopped soon after. There are so many games during the season that you move on very quickly to the next one.

Dwyane Wade at the moment is playing at an unbelievable level. He scored 50 points once again against Utah. When I'm asked whom of Wade, LeBron James or Kobe Bryant will be chosen as MVP, I change my mind every five minutes. It is said that the fact that Wade is playing on a team a little weaker than the others should be counted against him. Personally, I think the opposite; it could help him.

Concerning the race to the playoffs, Phoenix is a bit behind but everything can change very quickly. I'm convinced that in Portland we will still be playing for our qualification the last week of the regular season. We still have big games against Denver, San Antonio, the Lakers, Houston, Utah, Cleveland... It's not over.

At the moment in the US, the only thing people talk about is March Madness. Before, I only followed the Final Four because I didn't really understand how it all worked before that point. The experts say that the level is less exciting this year. There was recently an unbelievable game that I watched on TV between Connecticut and Syracuse, who needed six overtimes to decide the game! Each time, Connecticut had easy shots to win at the buzzer but they never went in...

In France, the nomination of Vincent Collet at the head of the French national team must have made some headlines. I'm very happy about it, I know that it was a dream for him. He's the man of the hour. I know Vincent well, I know what type of basketball he wants to play. I had him on the phone recently and he told me that I wanted me on the "Bleus" this summer.

When I arrived in Portland, I told them that I wanted to play for France that summer. They agreed. But in the NBA, you have to be careful. They tell you one thing in June, and, a few months later, they've forgotten. But I got the impression that they were laying the groundwork [for arguing over whether he plays for France or not]. They know that I want to play for France. Besides, they know that Vincent is the one who had confidence in me at Le Mans. That could be in my favor. They're aware that if I go play for France, it will be to play, not to spend my time on the bench.

To be with the "Bleus" motivates me. I'm not afraid. On the contrary, it's a big challenge. The fact that we still have to qualify to make it to the Euros could be a good thing because we'll have some solid games under our belt beforehand. Provided that we qualify, of course. I talked about it with Tony [Parker] when we played against San Antonio. He already know that Vincent was going to be selected before it was official. He's very motivated. He has a very important place at the heart of the "Bleus." When you've won everything like he has, when you play 100 games every year and still you get your jersey dirty playing for France in the summer, you have the right to some influence. He doesn't have a big head, he doesn't act like the king. But he's a natural leader and I find it perfectly normal that he has his say.

3. BlazerBeliever

BlazerBeliever Active Member

So is Batum talking about playing this summer for some French team? I wonder if he is going to play in our summer league. I think he has proved enough that he doens't need to play.

4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Playing in summer league could only help him. He could learn how to create his own shot and maybe work on some post moves.

5. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    He'll be playing for the French national team, who have to qualify for EuroBasket 2009. He'll be in the same situation as Rudy and hopefully Sergio are with Spain in that the training camp for their respective teams starts in the middle of the summer league. Unless the Blazers switched to an earlier summer league (the Orlando one?), I really doubt that Batum will be playing in the summer league. See this post for more.

6. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    Nicolas Batum reçu avec mention playoffs

[​IMG]

NBA. The Sarthois has already succeeded in his first year in America. Next step: the playoffs, in which Portland has every chance of competing.

The kid from Le Mans is no longer a child. Nicolas Batum has become a man. His goal is made up of three letters: NBA. An acronym which, for the occasion, could be turned into: Nicolas Batum Adult. Portland’s #88 quickly learned that the North American league was “a business. You have to be ready for everything.”

During the draft in June, Houston offered him a Rockets baseball cap, which he had to exchange a quarter hour later for a Trail Blazers cap. The young Nicolas was disgusted. At the start of the season, Portland’s coach promised him a starting position. He began the season on the bench. Oops! Batum has had to put his feelings aside.

He's a quick learner. The proof: In February, he wasn’t even surprised when he discovered that Portland management, though satisfied with his performance, negotiated with his knowing a possible trade to Charlotte.

Head of family

Batum is aware that he is but a pawn in an NBA galaxy in which he has discovered its enormity and rigor. Fortunately, his lucky star is on the watch.

With Martell Webster injured, the ex-Manceau replaced him in the starting five that he has only left twice (last week, because of a problem with his left ankle). “I am aware that it has helped me” he admitted. Playing so much at 20 years old in the NBA isn’t so common. “It reminds me a bit of Tony Parker,” added his old associate, today the coach of Le Mans, JD Jackson.

The comparison is flattering. And a bit false. Parker developed at a position, that of point guard, where the responsibilities are more important. He took advantage of this exposure to rise very quickly. Batum, even if he has already crossed the 15-point mark six times, his foremost a defender in Portland. He knows it.

His case is thus more similar to a Boris Diaw, with a major difference: Batum is progressing in a competitive team. Ten days from the end of the regular season, the Blazers only have one game to win to reach the playoffs. Or wait for a faux pas from Phoenix, the only team still capable of denying them the final phase of the season.

“It will still be close the last week” predicted Batum. The Blazers will have to battle to the end in order to clinch a 4th place synonymous with home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. “Batman” (one of his nicknames) will therefore play a little more in his new town, in which he with his mother and sister. Adult, yes. Solitary, no. If Batum has metamorphosed, he holds on to his cocoon. His arrival in the NBA also allowed for a suppressed familial trauma to be reexamined.

In June, he affirmed, during medical tests, that his father, who he barely knew, died on the court from a heart attack. NBA teams panicked, his stock fell. The truth was reestablished (it was an aneurysm) and the incident was resolved. A silence of 18 years with his mother was broken. Without wanting to give him so much responsibility at a young age, she passed on to him the torch of the head of the family. Whether it's regarding an orange ball or his family life, Nicolas Batum has grown up. His development has yet to reach its peak.

Batum was also featured in an episode of Intérieur Sport (an "Outside the Lines" type of program). With many thanks to raph from the MSB forums for the upload, here's the link (in French). To briefly summarize it (keep in mind I had a hard time understanding Batum, there were some parts where I had no idea what he was saying):
    • As a kid, Batum was always around his father's team, he was "the mascot of the club"
    • talking about the history of his father dying of a heart attack on the court
    • the test raising concerns that he had heart problems before the draft
    • Batum had never really heard the full story before
    • in the end, nothing wrong
    • this program estimates that Batum lost 4-6 million dollars because of his slide in the draft
    • Batum practically lived at the practice facility over the summer
    • starter... was dreaming all week, telling himself that at 19 years old, first game would be against Kobe
    • was pissed off after not starting, turned his back to the coach
    • he's made a list of all the "stars" whose shots he's blocked... Prince, Chris Paul, Parker, Duncan, Allen Pearce, Shaq, Nash, Iverson, Wade...
    • his salary in Portland is 12 times bigger than it was in Le Mans
    • talking about the rookie handbook, which tells you how to do everything (eg. how to hold a fork)
    • they give you a yoga DVD to teach you how to relieve stress (which Batum hasn't used)
    • surprised by how much food-money (in addition to their normal salary) players are given on road trips
    • happy that Roy praised him

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  7. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

He said he is going back to France to play in the Euro tourney. Good for him, he can only grow as a player.

8. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    "Maintenant, on va chercher le titre !"

[​IMG]

I got hurt at the end of March. Against Indiana, 4-5 minutes from the end, I came down on Danny Granger. Immediately, my ankle hurt a lot. I couldn't go back to the locker room by myself. I was put on a wheelchair. I didn't really have the time to reflect. I told myself: "I'm going to have to go to the hospital..." But two minutes later, I was being x-rayed. There, every locker room is equipped with medical equipment. When I say two minutes, it's not just a figure of speech. It literally was two minutes, watch in hand.

I was a little disappointed because one of my objectives was to play in all 82 games of the regular season. And the following game, the next day, was against Cleveland. I didn't want to miss it. Next, against Milwaukee, I wasn't able to move laterally so we didn't take any risks. I carried the injury for almost two weeks but I was followed 24 hours a day by the kinesiologist [physical therapist], I had treatment four times a day.

"If LeBron James isn't MVP, it will be robbery."

This week, we clinched our spot in the playoffs. That's why we lost against Houston... In fact, we knew, half an hour before the game, that Phoenix had lost against Dallas. Which as a result meant that we qualified for the playoffs. We congratulated each other in the locker room. The warmup was bad, we turned it into a dunk contest... The concentration level wasn't sufficient enough to hope to win. We were kicking ourselves afterwards.

Now, all we talk about is the playoffs. We're telling ourselves: "We're going for the title!" The team is young so there is a euphoria. For three quarters for us these will be the first playoffs. The city has also been waiting for that for a very long time. When we came back to Portland, there were banners not far from the airport congratulating us. We have to try to finish in the top four to have homecourt advantage in the first round. If we play at home, I'm sure that it will be crazy! The crowd at the Rose Garden is one of the loudest in the NBA. However, I'm incapable of saying who I'd like to play against. I've asked myself that question every day and I don't have an answer.

With the regular season finishing, I would give the MVP title to LeBron James. If he doesn't get it, it will be robbery. I've often said that Dwyane Wade deserved it because he is on a team a bit weaker. He has less good players around him than Kobe Bryant with the Lakers or LeBron in Cleveland. The best rookie is Derrick Rose. There's also OJ Mayo, but he doesn't win enough with Memphis. Rose has the chance to play in the East whereas Mayo, in the West, has more competition. Finally, I should give my ideal starting five, I would choose Deron Williams at point guard. Chris Paul is also very good but I love Williams since he was in college. At the 2 and 3, Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant of course. I'd put LeBron James at the 4, with Dwight Howard at center.

9. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    Nicolas Batum: “In the NBA, everything is intensified”

[​IMG]

How would you judge your first NBA season?
    Very positively. I love the experience, I don't know how to explain it but in the NBA everything is intensified, crazy things are always happening. In the beginning, I wasn't even supposed to be on the bench, there was even talk of sending me to a secondary league [NBDL]. In the end, I started 75 out of 82 games. I took advantage of injuries, I put in two months to convince everyone. If I had missed this chance the season would have been over for me.

Compared to Le Mans, you're focusing a lot on the defensive end. Do you have to get past that in order to eventually have more offensive freedom?

Initially, the coach saw me as a defender, but now, if I forget to take an open shot I'm going to get yelled at. But I stay in my role, it's not up to me to ask for the ball to try a one-on-one. Maybe that will change with time, but for the moment I concentrate on what the coach asks of me.

You have defended some of the best NBA players. Who is the most impressive?
    I played my first NBA game against LeBron James. The guy's a “messiah.” He scored 34 points, which is routine for him. At the end of the game, the coach told me to not worry because he also had experienced difficult nights against Jordan in his time.

What type of coach is McMillan?
    He often keeps us in check (recadrer?). We're a team of kids, the youngest in the league. There were five, six games this season when we were in complete tailspin. We were a bit raw (On s’y était un peu crû ?). If you see McMillan on the court, you'd think that he's mean. But he's above all a winner, a great pro, it's not a coincidence that he's one of the four best coaches in the regular season.

Is there a big difference in mentality between an NBA team and a European team?
    I was expecting a world even more individualistic, especially with such a young team. But we have succeeded in creating a great team spirit. We often eat together whereas in the NBA it's more “room service” for everyone. It's also because of that that we work well on the court.

Have you experienced any especially tiring moments during the interminable regular season?
    Out of 82 games, I admit that I had twenty or so really difficult games. When you play five games in a week on the road, you have to have some [difficult games]. At the end of the year, my shoulder started to hurt, my ankle too and I caught the flu. But I'm happy with myself, I succeeded in playing 79 out of 82 games.

Do you have the time to see the United States?
    That depends on the schedule. Sometimes you can have a free morning where you have the time to wander. I was able to explore New Orleans, I liked it in particular the French Quarter that I had heard about.

Don't you get the impression that you spend your life in airports?
    No. We travel in a private jet. Generally, we take off from Portland at 3pm, we park our car on the tarmac 15 minutes before, we give them our bags and then we take off. Here, they take care of everything for you, you don't even have to carry your bags. Everything is done so that the player doesn't get tired, so that he only thinks about basketball.

10. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
  11. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Thanks again for another translation. Nicolas seems like a really interesting guy, hopefully we get to know him even more over the next few years.

12. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    "Next year, we'll challenge for the title"

[​IMG]

Portland wasn’t at all familiar with the playoffs. We missed the experience. We knew that we had the means to advance but losing the first game really hurt us. Despite the defeat (4-2 against Houston), we learned a lot. We learned that the regular season is nothing compared to the playoffs.

In the playoffs, everything takes on another dimension. Each possession is crucial; the game is raised up a notch. It’s exhausting. How does San Antonio or the Lakers manage to challenge for titles? After winning a game, we told ourselves that we had given so much. I didn’t think that it would be so hard.

I don’t grudge the coach for playing me less in the playoffs or for not starting the last game. It was necessary to adapt our game against Houston and my role changed a bit. There were a lot more touches for Aldridge and Roy. But it’s logical. When the pressure rises, the best take things into their own hands. Look at Kobe Bryant with the Lakers or Tony Parker in San Antonio.

After the first round, the Blazers’ staff told us that they were proud of us. We did finish 4th in the Western Conference, all while being one of the youngest teams in the league. We’ve already turned towards next season. I don’t think that the team is going to be changed. The objective, though, will be different: we won’t play to make the playoffs, but to win them.

I had a personal interview with the GM. He told me: “When we drafted you, we didn’t really have a plan for you. Today, we’re really proud of what you have done.” He added that he would stop by to see me this summer playing for France. Then I talked with the coach, Nate McMillan. He reassured me because I was a little worried. He confirmed that I would start next year, saying that it was up to Webster and Outlaw to knock me out of the starting five. And if I’m not the starter, I will be part of a second unit whose mission will be to play “small ball.” Both cases would suit me well.

These remarks were good for me. Just like the welcome we received when we came back from Houston. Even though we had been eliminated and it was 3 in the morning, there were 200 or 300 people there, waiting at the airport to congratulate us. The city follows our every move. These last days, in the street, I’ve only heard “thank yous” or “bring on next year!” Everyone is behind you, so when you play at home, you feel good, you’re even obligated to feel good. We have the biggest crowds in the NBA. Not a single game was played in front of a crowd of less than 20,200 people!

I didn’t do anything during the two days after we were eliminated. The third day I was itching to go work out. It’s not easy to stop a habit after getting used to such a rhythm. I haven’t yet managed to sleep in; my body pushes me to wake up at 9:00. When everything is over, the feeling is mutual. I told myself: “there you go, finally, I’ll be able to catch my breath.” On the other hand, you want it to continue. I know that it will hurt a bit to watch Houston playing against the Lakers.

I was also able to have a look at the first round between Boston and Chicago. In the US, the media consider this series as the best ever! Joakim Noah impressed me. He raised his game….a lot. He did a great job. I hear certain people say: “yeah, he scored 10 points and grabbed 12 rebounds but he played 45 minutes.” Maybe his stats aren’t exceptional given his playing time but he did a lot of things that don’t show up in the box score.

I hope with all my heart that he will be there with the French team. I didn’t talk about it with him but, through Vincent Collet, I know that he wants to. If he comes we can really have a great team.

I don’t know yet what exactly I’m going to do. I’m going to rest for a few weeks and get ready in June. I’ve had very good memories up till now with the French team and I hope that it continues. If we don’t qualify for the Euros, it will be a failure. There is no room for error, we know what we have to do. There will be a lot of pressure but if we succeed in doing something it could make an impact. July 12th, the day we meet up, I’ll be ready.

13. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Ah, the life of a basketball player :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

14. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Well they are at work until 11pm on game nights, so that is understandable. I know I don't wake up 10 hours after I get off work.

15. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I love his attitude about not starting, and his willingness to move to the 2nd unit if that's the best fit.

16. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I love the fact more that Nate told him it's his position to lose.

17. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

This surprised me, but I was glad to see it. I have a feeling Batum will find a way to hold onto it. He is one of the hungriest guys on the team.

18. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Ditto. That was the best part of the interview to me.

19. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

Yea, Batum will only continue to get better. If Oden or a vet PG can become that 3rd scorer for us, it will be less of a burden for Nic to score..just paly D and shoot 3's

20. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

That would be a terrible waste of his talent in my opinion.

My hope is that within 4 years he'll be good enough to be a consistent second or third option. Nic has enough court awareness, passing ability, and a smooth, effortless way of moving on the court that I'd like to see him really take advantage of his raw physical tools. Maybe see him really tone up (maybe add a tiny bit of bulk) drill on his pull up jumper and handle and slowly emerge as a Tayshaun Prince kind of wing -- a guy who might eventually be able to play a little point forward.

It's a total pipe dream, but I'd love to see him emerge as the second coming of Scottie Pippen.