The Nurkic effect...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by julius, Mar 20, 2017.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

correction they were looking at their own nuts and wondering why this dog has his nose in their crotch!!

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  2. Paulus

Paulus Member

TERMINER O PLANER IN Prevent Sarajevo
    I have serious question for u guys , You know I m from Bosnia and we dont have a lot of Nba , we need to find streams if we manage , witch makes u experts for me.
    Why Nurkic is so much better at Portland , they say numbers are not to different , but fack stats , he looks a lot better and he look like hes working on him self. and one more is what do u think if u had Nurk from start , where would Portland end up ?

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Motivation and to feel wanted can do ALOT to performing at optimal levels.
    He is young and emotional. Im sure in Denver he gave up on them just like they gave up on him.

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Opportunity + Motivation == Success

The talent was always there. He didn't fit well in DEN's system or their plans.

He has found a home here. Right now, he's just happy to be playing (and you just KNOW he'd LOVE to overtake his former club for the 8th and final playoff seed - even more motivation), but I think he will soon discover, what many former Trail Blazer players have learned - Portland is a GREAT place to live. The people of Portland, and not just the basketball fans, will welcome him into the community. Many former players still live in Portland year round, in spite of our rainy winter weather.

He is now one of us! Let the chanting begin...

JU-SUF-NURK-IC clap-clap, clap-clap-clap!

BNM

5. Paulus

Paulus Member

TERMINER O PLANER IN Prevent Sarajevo
    You did not answer me to my second question.

6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Impossible to say really. Probably better, but Plumlee was playing out of his mind to start the season too if I remember correctly.
    But does it matter? Thats the past and Nurk is the future my friend.

7. Boob-No-More

As OB said, impossible to say. Too many variables. I think all that sitting in DEN made Nurk hungry and provided additional motivation. I think it makes him appreciate the opportunity and new life he's been given in POR. Hard to say if he would be similarly focused and motivated if he'd been acquired last summer.

Plus, we were already trying to integrate one new player, Evan Turner, into our rotation. So, the transition may not have been as efficient as it ended up being.

In short, I think we got Nurk at exactly the right time - when we needed him the most and he needed us the most.

But OK, I'll play along: with Nurk from Day 1, best case we'd be challenging OKC and MEM for the 6th/7th seed. Worst case, we be right where we are now, fighting for the 8th seed.

However, I think having Nurk next season will make us much better right out of the gate. He loves us and we love him. I think this taste of success he has experienced will motivate him to continue to work on his game during the off season, He will come into training camp comfortable with his teammates and coach, and they with him.

So, here's to hitting the ground running in 2017-18!

BNM

8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I will have wet dreams all summer long if we here reports of Dame working with Nurk on P&R s in the summer and stuff.

9. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

what does people of Portalnd think about Bosnians, as I saw theres bosnian community there
    our biggest community is in the St. Louis

10. Po'sFinest

Po'sFinest Active Member

Yup that's where I'm at that's why I don't get why folks want that damn 8th seed so bad just to get killed by SA or GS

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Portland is a great place for being friendly and welcoming...generally in all my travels...good people find good people no matter where you're from.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  12. Mr. Robot

I can tell you from my experice thats not true.. Im serial killer

13. Boob-No-More

I'm one of those people who wants the 8th seed, and I want it now more than ever. Nurk is 22 and has ZERO post season experience. The post season is totally different environment - Dame talks about it all the time. Every first timer gets butterflies, Best get them out of the way as soon as possible.

It will be a learning experience for Nurk, and the rest of the team. It's something all young teams must go through to get to the next level. We're the youngest team in the league and have a lot to learn. Let them face a veteran team like the Spurs or the Warriors and see how champions go about their business in the post season.

Besides, at this point, the more Nurk plays with his new teammates the better. I think we may be forgetting it's only been 15 games, with only 12 regular season games to go. Anything extra they can learn now will give them a head start on next season.

BNM

RR7, Orion Bailey, Elton and 2 others like this.
  14. Boob-No-More

What a weird coincidence. I'm a cereal killer. I kill about a box of that stuff a day.

BNM

15. Mr. Robot

hahahahah.. that kinda makes us colleagues

16. Boob-No-More

Well, I don't speak for all of Portland, but Portland is the most tolerant, accepting place I've lived. In addition to the Northwest, I've lived in the Midwest and the Southeast. I've also spent a lot of time in California and the Southwest for business. Portland is just laid back, accepting and culturally diverse, which I think is a great thing.

I don't personally now any Bosnians, but I do know a lot of first generation immigrants from several countries (Poland, Russia, India, Vietnam, Mexico, Canada, England, Germany) that all call Portland their home. Most of these immigrants have active communities within the greater Portland community that allow them to practice their traditions.

My Polish friends attend a Polish church and have an annual Polish festival. Many of my Indian friends get together two nights a week at the park near my house and play cricket. A couple of them also play on my company softball team. They are honoring their traditions and participating in new ones, too.

Maybe with Nurk calling Portland his home, we will attract more Bosnians and the ones that are here may become a more visible presence. I love learning about other cultures - especially the food. So, a question for you, what are some traditional Bosnian food dishes that you would recommend for someone who is unfamiliar with Bosnian cuisine?

BNM

dviss1, RR7, Orion Bailey and 2 others like this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Somethings are less welcome than others I guess...

18. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Yes Nurk his stats are about the same but the little things he does for us what make a difference. Rim protection block shots and setting strong picks something we didn't have at the beginning season. Yes I like Plum for his hustle but know one was threaten when they drove to the basket. He block shots but not like Nurk and he diffently didn't set strong pick for our guards. With full training at beginning of season we would be properly around 5th maybe 4th.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  19. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Since Nurk has been an active Trail Blazer, the team is 12-6, a winning % of .667. Extrapolated over an 82 game season, it would be between 54 and 55 wins, or good enough for 4th place in the WC.

Of course it doesn't necessarily mean they WOULD win that (they could win more)...but that's a good sign.

Just hope next year they actually do build on this season...

20. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

I like your thinking on that. And if we don't get screwed on an out of bounds call, we'd be 13-5 which works out to 59 wins. Yeah, it is just something to give us hope during the summer though....