The Offical Allen Iverson Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by B.e., May 22, 2006.

1. MaxBallin

MaxBallin JBB JustBBall Member

Okay, so we all know the Atlanta Hawks are interested in Iverson for the purpose of selling seats. However, the reason doesn't really matter. What's important here is just that we have a taker. (NOTE: It really doesn't matter whether or not Iverson wants to go to Atlanta. That's not his call.)

Now if I were Billy King, I wouldn't push too hard for Marvin Williams. The Hawks will not budge on him. Though they were in desperate need of a point guard in the 2005 NBA Draft, the Hawks passed up two amazing players (Deron Williams and Chris Paul) because they were so enamored with his potential. In his first season Williams already showed flashes of brilliance. Why would the Hawks give up a player who could very well turn into a superstar? They won't.

With this in mind, I feel that King should instead target Josh Smith, the #5 pick in the 2006 NBA Draft, and the Hawks first round pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, unprotected.

I don't think taking back Al Harrington is the greatest idea. One huge benefit of dumping Iverson would be starting to clean up our horrendous cap situation. In such a week free agent pool Harrington will surely be receiving a large contract, and it would not be in the Sixers' best interest to take that on.

Please reply with any opinions or other comments you might have.

2. CMaTT

CMaTT JBB JustBBall Member

well how would that work when it comes down to salaries?
    Iverson makes over 16 million, and Josh Smith makes 1.6 million

That is why taking Harrington would be the only option, which techinically would be a new sign and trade contract.

3. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

dont you guys like the minny trade possibility better? it seems better to me on a non bias level as well.

4. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CMaTT:</div><div class="quote_post">well how would that work when it comes down to salaries?
    Iverson makes over 16 million, and Josh Smith makes 1.6 million

That is why taking Harrington would be the only option, which techinically would be a new sign and trade contract.</div>
    The Hawks are under the cap, and could absorb AI's contract...

5. MaxBallin

MaxBallin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Best Kept Secret:</div><div class="quote_post">The Hawks are under the cap, and could absorb AI's contract...</div>

Exactly. Thank you.

The Hawks need Iverson to earn back a decent reputation amongst their fans. So, if they want him on their team and are adamant about not giving up Marvin Williams, then they'll have to let the Sixers clear cap space at their expense.

6. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

The Hawks need a somebody who can sell s eats, but at what cost? Would it be worth breaking up a young, promising team, for an aging superstar?

7. B.e.

The Celtics have made a call about tha availibilty of Allen.....

I would die if he goes there [​IMG]

8. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">A source within the league said the Sixers have spoken to the Boston Celtics , checking to see whether the Celtics have interest in Allen Iverson, according to Philadelphia Daily News writer Phil Jasner.

That would fit the profile of Sixers president/general manager Billy King's statements about "trying hard" to make a trade; there were no details available, nor does it seem likely that anything will come of it</div>

Source

9. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

I hope to God that he doesn't end up in Boston....UNLESS ITS FOR PIERCE! Haha kidding guys.

10. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

How about this trade?

Boston recieves: Allen Iverson, #13 Pick
    Philadelphia recieves: Raef LaFrentz, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Kendrick Perkins

11. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">How about this trade?

Philadelphia recieves: Raef LaFrentz, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Kendrick Perkins</div>
    Add the Celtics pick in this years draft, and I would do that deal.

12. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Best Kept Secret:</div><div class="quote_post">Add the Celtics pick in this years draft, and I would do that deal.</div>

I wasn't sure about adding the Celtics pick, because you guys are already getting a lot of their young talent in that trade. But I guess the pick would have to be thrown in since AI is being traded within the division.

13. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">I wasn't sure about adding the Celtics pick, because you guys are already getting a lot of their young talent in that trade. But I guess the pick would have to be thrown in since AI is being traded within the division.</div>
    I think we have to have a first round pick this year. Doesn't the NBA have a rule where you can't go two years without having a first round pick? Because the 76ers didn't have a first rounder last year, so they would have to include their pick for the deal to go through.

14. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">How about this trade?

Philadelphia recieves: Raef LaFrentz, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Kendrick Perkins</div>

I don't see us trading out of this draft completely. I definitely love the deal though. Gomes and Gerald Green are two great young wing players that can help us down the road. I would prefer to get Jefferson instead of Perkins but hey if we can move up I think Billy would pull the trigger.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BestKeptSecret:</div><div class="quote_post">I think we have to have a first round pick this year. Doesn't the NBA have a rule where you can't go two years without having a first round pick? Because the 76ers didn't have a first rounder last year, so they would have to include their pick for the deal to go through.</div>

I'm thinking that rule is to prevent teams from trading back-to-back picks in the same trade. Pretty much helps out a team like the Knicks who would have no picks by now. I'm curious though, can Billy King trade out of this draft completely? I'd love for someone to look up the rule...

15. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting C.K.:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I'm thinking that rule is to prevent teams from trading back-to-back picks in the same trade. Pretty much helps out a team like the Knicks who would have no picks by now. I'm curious though, can Billy King trade out of this draft completely? I'd love for someone to look up the rule...</div>
    This rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2005-06 season, then teams can trade their 2006 first round pick without regard to whether they had a 2005 pick, since their 2005 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2006 and 2007 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

In addition, teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their first round pick. So teams may trade away their own future picks in consecutive years if they have another team's first round pick in one of those years.

16. B.e.

Trading him to Boston, the team that is in the Atlantic division with the Sixers would make no sense, P squared and Allen would be interesting though.

17. WhiteManCanJump

WhiteManCanJump Member

Trading him inside the division or not doesnt matter IMO, since if the Sixers want to rebuild they would probably suck anyway for a few years. I still don't think that Boston team would be too great if the Sixers got their pick in this draft.

18. B.e.

Well, this seems like the end of the line for AI in a 76ers uniform. At least according to rumors that we have been hearing, and now the Philly Inquirer. AI had a good run in Philly, but I just hope these rumors aren' true and that the Sixers will keep him, or at least trade him to somewhere where he can win.

19. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting B-22:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, this seems like the end of the line for AI in a 76ers uniform. At least according to rumors that we have been hearing, and now the Philly Inquirer. AI had a good run in Philly, but I just hope these rumors aren' true and that the Sixers will keep him, or at least trade him to somewhere where he can win.</div>
    Am I the only one that doesn`t want to see AI getting a ring anytime soon? I think simply I just don`t want to see Iverson win a ring with another team while we are rebuilding...

20. B.e.

Why wouldn't you want to see him get a ring, he has payed his dues and he deserves to at least be on a team that can contend.