The Official Atlanta Hawks Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by Buckets, May 23, 2005.

1. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">2005 Draft Prospect Report

By Chris Monter

The 2005 NBA draft has been weakened by the early defections of many of its top players. Imagine the draft if Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Ousmane Cisse, Eddy Curry, DeSagana Diop, Jamal Sampson, Dajuan Wagner, T.J. Ford, Josh Childress, Ben Gordon, Devin Harris, David Harrison, Kevin Martin, Emeka Okafor, Delonte West and Maurice Williams had not turned pro early. However, many of the top underclassmen, foreign players and high schoolers will likely elect to enter the draft to help that void.

The Atlanta Hawks will have a top four draft pick in what appears to be a deep draft. The Hawks had the third overall pick in 2001 NBA Draft when they selected Pau Gasol, who they dealt to the Grizzlies in the Shareef Abdur-Rahim deal. However, they have not had a top four pick that they kept since 1981, when they selected Al Wood from North Carolina. Wood lasted just 19 games with the Hawks before being traded to the San Diego Clippers,

The Hawks? front office is hoping that this year?s pick will add another building block to a team that features youngsters Josh Childress and Josh Smith. They also have the top pick in the second round (the 31st selection) and 59th pick.

On May 24, the franchise will learn if it is successful in getting the number one overall pick when the Draft Lottery takes place in Secaucus, NJ. Atlanta has a 25% chance of obtaining that selection. If the Hawks wil the rights to take that choice, it will mark the first time since 1975 they will have the opportunity to make the number one overall pick.

The following is a look at the top five players at each position.
    </div>

Read The Rest

-----------------------------

The top players were PG Chris Paul, SG Rudy Fernandez, SF Marvin Williams, PF Sean May and C Andrew Bogut. There were some other interesting players in the mix on the list(s), there was Jarret Jack, Hakim Warrick, and Monta Ellis.

2. Proof

Proof NFLC nflcentral.net Member

The Hawks will draft Paul. Mark my words.

3. Buckets

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">...The Nuggets continue to say the international route is more attractive than the prep route for financial and roster reasons.

With two picks, the Nuggets also could engage in interesting trade talks. Denver has been working the phones to see if it could move up in the draft and to see what possibilities are out there. There also is talk teams such as Atlanta would give up the top overall second- round pick (31) and cash for a late second-round pick. ..

</div>

Atlanta Trades up for another First Rounder?

--------------

I'd love it if we could get another first rounder, it'd be perfect. 22 or 22 would be a perfect spot where we could fill one of our needs take a point gaurd Jarret Jack, if he slips or take someone that can be an impact off the bench. We have no good bench players, Delk is inconsistent and Ekezie only brought his game at the end of the season.

4. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Jack won't get past Toronto or Boston, so I doubt he'd be there at 20.

5. Buckets

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Atlanta making a move on Ukic?

Reports out of Houston suggest that a deal is on the table which would see the Rockets trading out of the 1st round. The player that Houston is supposedly targeting, Luther Head, might not be on the board at 24 according to what his agent Mark Bartelstein told us earlier today. It?s his belief that Head will end up being selected ?in the teens,? which would mean that the Rockets would have to select from a crop of raw European small forwards and big men or reach for a college player who is a little bit lower down on their board. The Atlanta Hawks are interested in trading up from the #31 pick to #24 in order to secure the services of the Croatian PG Roko Leni-Ukic, should he end up slipping to that spot. The problem is that Ukic is receiving major interest from both the Toronto Raptors at #16 and the Phoenix Suns at #21. The Raptors have already filed for a visa for Ukic to live in Canada (this is necessary for non-EU or US citizens), which most likely means that he is at least on their board.
    </div>

Houstons Pick?

----------------------

I wouldnt mind having Roko-Leni Ukic as our starting PG, atleast he's a upgrade over Tyronn. I'd play Tyronn in the ending minutes of the game over him everytime though. I hope we do trade up and if we dont get a chance to, I still hope we take the best suited player for us at 31. I dont want to have a bunch of 'talented' forwards, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams will get the job done, and if Childress has to, he can do it too. We need big men and a Point Gaurd.

6. Bobcats

Again Ukic won't get by Toronto or Boston so I don't see it happening.

7. Rider34

Rider34 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting HeadBussa:</div><div class="quote_post">The Hawks will draft Paul. Mark my words.</div>

hope u're right [​IMG] I would like to see Paul playing in Atlanta [​IMG]

8. Buckets

Bostons got Delonte West, Marcus Banks and I thought Gary Payton wanted to return as well. How are they going to do something with 4 pointgaurds, Delonte can play the 2, so what look at who boston's got at the 2. Ricky Davis, Tony Allen and sometimes Pierce. I can see toronto getting one of the two (Ukic/Jack) but I dont see both being taken before the 24th pick.

9. Bobcats

Boston doesn't have any glaring needs. Payton is most likely not coming back, Banks is not ready to be a full time starter, and West can play either the 1 or 2. Ukic is tall at 6'5 and quick drawing comparisons to Tony Parker. So I don't think he will be there at 24 unless Boston and Toronto decide to pass up on him.

10. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

wrong!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting HeadBussa:</div><div class="quote_post">The Hawks will draft Paul. Mark my words.</div>

The Hawks just drafted Marvin Williams from North Carolina

11. jbbgrizz101

jbbgrizz101 JBB Banned Member

marvin williams has been drafted

12. Buckets

Draft Summary:
    #2: Marvin Williams 6'9" 230lbs, SF-PF/UNC
    #31: Salim Stoudamire 6'1" 179lbs, PG/Arizona
    #59: Cenk Akyol 6'4" 195lbs, ???/Turkey

I think we got a big steal in Salim Stoudamire and a future superstar in Marvin Williams. Cenk, I do not know much about but the other two IMO were great picks for their respective spots. Salim should earn the starting job at PG some where before all-star break unless we bring in some ginormous free agents like Ray Allen, but I dont think their's a big PG in this years FA crop so Salim will have a huge impact on how the Hawks fair. Marvin will be good and I think he'll be learning from the bench for the first week or so then he'll get the starting nod over Smoove or Harrington if there both still here.

13. Bobcats

They picked Stoudamire over Taft, Ukic, and Blatche?? Not smart.

14. Buckets

I think it was a smart move by management because Stoudamire can shoot unlike most other people in the draft, Salim may not seem like a good point gaurd and more of an undersized two gaurd but with all the needs on the Hawks he's gonna have to get used to being the PG and he knows the Hawks arent going to be good right away so he's not gonna be scared to make mistakes. How do you learn? From your mistakes.

Taft should've gone higher IMO but he was almost the worst athelte at Chicago Pre-Draft Camp according to Hoopshype, the only guy he was better than was Luke Schenscher. Blatche is a highschool kid and very underrated at that, he could've been a good fit but I'm happy with Salim. Ukic is a foreign guy, which I dont know much about but he seems like he's NBA ready and he would've been good too for the Hawks. My point is Salim needs a chance, and on the Hawks he'll get his chance to do his thing and I'm sure he'll be a good player.

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

This is going to be an interesting off-season for the Hawks with the addition of Marvin and Salim. They must be confident Salim is capable of playing the PG position to take him ahead of Diener, Ukic and a few other PGs still on the board.

The Hawks have money to spend and a franchise-potential player to attract people to Atlanta now. The Hawks improved with this draft and should have an exciting, very athletic team on the floor next year.

16. lessthanjake

lessthanjake JBB JustBBall Member

thank you shape. good to know other people think we might not suck next year, instead of just hawks fans. anyway, time for my outlook....

i think marvin will be great for us THIS year. everyone say he has so much potential, and fails to point out the ability he's got now. i see him as a 12ppg 7rpg 1bpg kind of guy his first year...

as for salim, give the guy some credit. people, i think Jay Bilas, said that martell webster was the best shooter in the draft.. c'mon! salim is the best shooter in the draft, and plays underrated defense. i think he'll be a huge steal.