The Official CJ McCollum Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Jade Falcon, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Not sure if it was even possible...... but I really wish we had somehow gotten Kawhi and Danny Green. God our team would be good.

Meanwhile the Spurs are in worse shape than us. I wouldn't trade rosters with them. I really don't understand the thinking of adding a 29 year old DeRozan to an aging team that has no shot at competing. LaMarcus isn't Duncan. They should have traded Kawhi for young talent and draft picks. That team is so overdue for a rebuild it's hilarious.

BonesJones and Rozay like this.
  2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

OH GOOD JOB, CJ HAS BETTER PASSING BY .6 ASSISTS, IT DOESN'T MAKE COMPARING THE TWO ANY LESS STUPID.

That's horseshit, and I will NOT be the bad guy in this thread. When he goes 1-13, or 3-24, he deserves any criticization at this point. He's not a rookie, and he's not some street bum. He's our starting SG, and he needs to become better and more consistent.

You can criticize someone and still like them. I don't understand why that's a foreign concept to some of you. I criticized Dame for that last play against Washington....but I still love the guy, and I blame that loss far more on Stotts than him. But yeah, driving into the paint against 3 defenders when there were clearly two shooters right there to pass to was pretty dumb.

That's not "hate". That's being rational.

Because he doesn't FIT here. We need LENGTH and Defense at his position if we want to take the next step in becoming a better team. And he isn't it.

That doesn't mean I hate the guy. I just don't think that he's going to get us to the next level. If we improve his position by adding a longer, defensive-minded SG with the same 3-point shot, then I think we'll be able to bang with the likes of GS and get deep into the playoffs.

Agreed.

3. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    In their defense they have a really good young defensive stud PG Dejounte Murray who tore his ACL in preseason. Then his backup Derrick White who looked really freaking good this summer got hurt too. They'd be a different team with those guys.

4. Natebishop3

I'm sure it would, but my thinking is still that it's a flawed plan to have a core of DeRozan and LaMarcus as your foundation. They dealt a top 5 player a top 15-top 20ish player and a 1st rounder. To me that's a shit trade because the pick is going to be garbage and DeRozan is 2 years older than Kawhi. So not only did they get a worse player, but they got an older player.

5. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I too thought the Spurs should trade Kawhi to rebuild but that isn't really what they do. Kawhi fucked them by sitting out the year and then someone in his camp telling everyone that he wants to play in LA. I don't think their return was that bad considering Kawhi would've just left next off season.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  6. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I know is say stupid Things sometimes and i apologize for that, but i become to emotional during Blazers Games. Sure CJ is good on offense, but what frustrates me is that he's not even looking to Pass his teammates, and this is unacceptable, you can not say "I want to become a better playmaker and Pass more often" and then allways Go Isolation. He hurts the Team with his style of play. If the shot isn't falling , fine, find a other way to help the Team, but you can not shot and miss shot after shot

Jade Falcon likes this.
  7. Natebishop3

It's funny to me because the Mavs and Spurs have both held on way too long because of nostalgia. Which I'm fine with. I'm glad those two teams will toil needlessly for a few extra years. I do think the Mavs have a very good player in Luka though. Regardless, the fact that they tried to stay relevant years after they should have thrown in the towel is really amusing to me.

BonesJones and hoopsjock like this.
  8. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

After a year they should trade him back to Toronto for Anunoby, Siakim, picks, and salary filler.

9. BonesJones

Ehh, Dallas is a few years away. Dennis Smith Jr. looks to be the Andrew Wiggins of PGs... He's so inefficient. Luka is solid but is he really going to be an all-star player in the next 5 years? I don't see it. Other than those two, they have a bunch of aging vets. If they don't get a top 7 pick this year then they may get stuck getting role players at the end of the lottery for years when they really need a star (or even a 2nd star if Luka develops into one).

Zion would be the best player for that team. Luka running pick n roll with him would be deadly. They have to hope Dennis Smith Jr. pans out but at this point, I'd be seeing what Pheonix would be willing to offer for him and I'd put Luka at PG (maybe with another ball handling wing to take the pressure off).

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  10. BonesJones

It's not about criticizing him for going 1-13... If you heard my Day After Recap for the Washington game, you hear me criticizing him too...

It's about criticizing him over 3 fouls at halftime when he's 6-8 and making the right passes because you're still hanging onto the game where he went 1-13. He adjusted from that 1-13 and played better the next game because of it...

hoopsjock likes this.
  11. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Yeah I feel bad for Spurs fans having to endure that 47 win season last year and all those rings. I think theyve been pretty brilliant in staying really competitive in the west all these years, they havent really had a reason to hit the reset button.

BonesJones likes this.
  12. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    I think CJ will improve later in the season and step up like he did last year when Dame was injured for a short spell.

13. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

He seems to be regressing. I don't know what his deal is. But it seems he is worried about his scoring average. You can just see when he decides it's his turn to shoot.

Gronk Brady likes this.
  14. Jade Falcon

I will say that I'm more concerned about Nurk regressing at this point. But 5 years in for CJ, and it's the same ol' CJ. I wouldn't say he's necessarily "regressed", but he hasn't improved either.

15. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    His PER has declined almost every year the last few seasons and so far this year, it is where he was in his 2nd season. His assist also continue to go down every year after his 3rd season.

He is scoring more....but it seems at the detriment to his teammates at times.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

CJ is what he is. Pretty sure just about everything has been covered. He can have huge nights and he can make some impressive moves. But in the end he needs to improve at finding other players when he is covered and making sound decisions with the ball. Most here would like his assist average to be around 4 a game instead of 2.3 a game.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  17. Jade Falcon

OOOOOHHH, reeeeeaaallly? I didn't know that!

Looks like numbers and stats DO count for something after all! :bgrin: Thanks for that!

18. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

Let me remind anyone defending CJ’s me first 1 on 3 ISO ball play that he is making 30 mil per year... and he is 6’3” and doesn’t play defense either

19. BonesJones

Do you even know what ISO ball is?

hoopsjock likes this.
  20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

When you’re making the money CJ is making there has to be a certain level of dependability. With Lillard you know what he’s going to bring every night, and when he has an off night, you know it’s just an outlier. With CJ it’s now starting to become a crapshoot. But there are ways we can play where we’re not depending on him so much as well, so it’s not ALL on CJ. For example, throwing the ball into the post more, whether it’s to Nurkic or Collins. Nurk struggled tonight but he’s looked improved in the post, more patient. Collins offers a skillset as well. This would open so many other things up. They just make it hard on themselves when they really don’t have to.