The official let's DUMP MEYERS thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazinaway, Nov 6, 2013.

1. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

He's playing without confidence and like the immature man he is.

He does need to grow up. But remember he is only 21. How soon should we expect someone to reach the whole 'it's time to be a man' stage?

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    We could use a backup SF.....

Butler for Leonard?

:devilwink:

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Nobody I know wants to dump Butler.

4. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Don't.

Care.

5. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I don't want to go back and do any atomic bumps, but I seem to recall last year about this time that the BoardThink consensus was that Freeland not only wasn't worth his draft position or contract, but his roster spot. I seem to recall that people were asking me what the cap hit would be if we just released him and spread his cap hit over the next 3 years. I remember him not getting minutes that were going to Jared Jeffries. 8 months later, he's the best big off the bench that we have. His transformation (if you want to call it that) occurred at 26.

ToB did a great job outlining big men who've put it together. True, there are the Olowakandis and Araujos of the world, but releasing him would not be, uh, smart. Adding him as a filler to get a couple of bucks of cap room wouldn't matter b/c we're not close to being under the cap this summer anyway, and will still only have MLE available (unless you're REALLY looking for a 2M trade exception). Which big are you going to get back in a trade who can play the position better than Meyers, and if he could, why would his old team trade him?

I'm not pinning my hopes on the kid, but send him to Boise with Crabbe for a few months and see what happens.

6. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Meyers Leonard will eventually outshine anything Greg Oden, Robin or Joel ever accomplish in the NBA. Worth hanging onto until it happens. It's not like he's in the way, and his presence is a motivator for our other bigs to play hard.

He's inexpensive, already a versatile scorer and passer, and will be a monster by the time he stops growing.

7. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    <Raise hand>

Yes I thought freeland was a complete joke last season

8. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

People already want to dump Mo Williams? Maybe I'm wearing my Nolan colored glasses, but I think he'll settle down and be a good player off the bench for us. So what, he's shooting 8% from 3pt range so far...that'll go up!

9. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Bah! He's only playing because we have no other options. He's 2-9 in the paint for christ's sake.

10. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

11. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

In other words, everything Freeland did to become more useful is 180 degrees opposite of Leonar_.

12. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    There's no comparison. Freeland has many years more experience than Leonard. The difference isn't about who worked harder last summer. Freeland's rookie adjustment was in unlearning advanced scoring moves that work on less quick European players. Leonard's adjustment is in learning college freshman fundamentals and advancing beyond high school. No equivalence.

All these posts saying that if Freeland turned it around in one summer and became a star, so can Leonard, ignore Freeland's 7-year head start. We don't have 7 years of #15 man time available to waste on Leonard when we could try a different player in that slot every year.

We can't just dump Leonard, but we CAN play him in Idaho for extended periods. Not just 2 games at a time.

13. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    That's probably early last season, when he could catch and make when near the basket on a fast break. He lost that by late last season. That's one reason he has regressed.

He actually steps back and covers himself when a physical play approaches. Here's how I described it.

http://sportstwo.com/threads/249834...0-PM-TUESDAY?p=3140648&viewfull=1#post3140648

For years I've wanted a coach who yells. For example, Aldridge would then play like a big man.

14. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    The biggest problem is his defense. Playing him with Aldridge is not a good idea because they're our worst big-men on defense and Aldridge plays many minutes because he's superior offensively. I wouldn't mind him as Aldridge's backup but if Freeland/Lopez are able to play just 18 minutes combined like against Houston we're in trouble defensively.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  15. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I would send him to Boise and also send a coach to work with him only. And I would also find a half dozen athletic ex-college players and bring them down there. Then I would work with him (defensively only) in game situations, over and over and over and over. He has the athleticism and it's possible he is hesitant and slow to adjust because he just does not have any basketball instincts. Maybe with enough repetitions he could reach a point where he didn't need to think. For me, it would be worth a try.

But I do agree with some posters that there may just be something missing in his personality and it all might be for naught. But why not try?

16. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Thing about sending him to Boise, I doubt he'd learn anything more there than he would in Portland.

Not saying the team shouldn't take advantage of the team (I still say the NBA needs a true farm system set up. More like baseball, but not so full of cheating).

Add an NBA run NBDL draft (like, Portland picks who they want for the NBDL team) and stock those teams with a few players, etc. Trades among NBA teams could include those picks, or whatever.

Of course the dynamics of MLB farm system and how the younger players are groomed is completely different then the NBA (the # of positions, and teams is why too). It's doubtful that a superstar or serviceable player will ever get his start in the NBDL, whereas it's not uncommon for it to happen in MLB.

The NBA could totally do something to fix that (by making it a REAL farm league) but the players union would have nothing to do with that.

17. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    And there seem to be a lot of posters here who are in love with Channing Frye.

At this point, it seems you might be right. It makes more sense to play someone to there strengths rather than complain they aren't someone they aren't. He can absolutely score facing the basket. And if he develops more post acumen over time, even better. For now, Meyers is more Frye/Aldridge than Hibbert/Howard.

18. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

BTW when (or has) does the NBDL begin?

I agree with sending him to Boise to get badly needed minutes and see if he can improve.

19. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Stampede first game is Nov 22.

20. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    What I would like to see is Leonard proving me wrong. I would love to feel stupid for ever thinking he was a waste of a player. I want to made held accountable for ever doubting the sheer awesomeness of Leonard!