The Official Lottery/Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Nasty, Apr 16, 2005.

1. og15

og15 JBB *********

Antoine Wright's vertical was very dissapointing at only 29.5", his agility time was low [11.45], and his 3/4 court sprint [3.41] was the third lowest after Diogu and Andrisevikus who are both big men. Not good at all...

Sean May: 33" vert, 11.04 agility, 3.29 Sprint, not as unathletic as people thought, he's average really, pretty good for a big.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I think you may have forgotten that JERRY WEST is running Memphis, not Babcock.</div>

You're giving Jerry West a little too much credit. The last Grizzlies General Manager, Billy Knight (who is now with the Hawks), was ten times better for the franchise. West is notorious for doing stupid things on draft night, so I would not put it past him. Michael Heisley wants the team to be more financially responsible, so West might see this as a good place to start. I don't think it's fair to throw millions of dollars at Jake Tsakalidis in free agency and then start caring about your team's financial situation during the draft though; it's pretty hypocritical. As for how legit the rumor is, all I need to say is that it supposedly originated with Peter Vescey.

I think it's realistic to think that the Grizzlies would trade for two second rounders. They've been working out guys like Lawrence Roberts, Daniel Ewing, and Chris Thomas who are all projected second rounders. It's interesting to see them doing this, because as it stands, they currently do not have one of their own. Although I'd like to see Memphis trade their first round pick for two second round picks, I don't think that Toronto would be a very good team to trade with. The second of their two second round picks is all the way down at #58, which is pretty much a throw away pick. It would just be like trading the #19 pick for the #41 pick if they opted for that deal, which is needless to say, a very stupid move. I think the more realistic possibilities for trades with the Grizzlies are the Lakers, who own the #37 and #39, and the Orlando Magic who have the #38 and the #44.

As for Antoine Wright, I'd steer away from him. As og15 said, he tested very poorly athletically in Chicago. Wright is talented; there's no doubt about that. However, #7 is still a stretch for him. It'll be interesting to see whether or not Granger slips to the Raptors at #7, as he's now projected in the #4-7 range. If he does, he should be your man, no questions asked.

3. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, I thought Wright was more athletic and faster than that. Very dissapointing for him. It looks pretty clear cut now, Babcock better bring Granger north of the border.

4. Rim-Rocca

Rim-Rocca JBB JustBBall Member

ya, i was surprised to see Wright's results. I think we know who we should draft based on the results. but man joey graham is a beast, 26 reps.

5. og15

og15 JBB *********

Joe Graham seems like a stronger Shawn Marion. He did the most reps on bench press with 26, had a 36" vertical [5th best], 4th in the lane agility test, and 1st in the 3/4 court sprint. He's really impressing me, and though his perimeter game is underdeveloped, having him as a SF can be very helpful, defensively, on the boards, and just improving the teams athletic talent.

6. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

I'm beginning to worry about Granger not being available by our 7th pick. Even if Green was available I would still prefer to have Granger over him regardless of his talent and age. Granger just seems to be the player that could very well make the most impact on whichever team chooses him.

If Granger is not available then Felton will certainly be available. If we could end up with Felton at #7 and a Joey Graham, Warrick, May or Villaunueva at #16 I would be very pleased.

7. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">If Granger is not available then Felton will certainly be available. If we could end up with Felton at #7 and a Joey Graham, Warrick, May or Villaunueva at #16 I would be very pleased.</div>
    You wouldn't be happy with Jarret Jack at 16 if Felton isn't picked?

8. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

^I did the 16th pick based on the theory that Felton had been taken with our 7th. The only reason I left Ukic on there is because he is a tall point guard that has the height and transferrable skills to the shooting guard position.

9. Mr.Wade

Mr.Wade JBB The Canadian Dream

Damn... I thought Wright was better than that... who knows though it cuold've been a bad day really.

I really hope someone good is on board at 7... I really do, I want us to have a solid core.

10. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr.Wade:</div><div class="quote_post">Damn... I thought Wright was better than that... who knows though it cuold've been a bad day really.</div>
    Yea I was wondering that too, I think that some players may just have bad days or mess up due to the pressure.

11. og15

og15 JBB *********

Still, a bad day not allowing you to jump or run? I mean their's not to much pressure in those situations, and if someone can't handle minimal pressure like that, it's not promising.

12. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">To be honest with you, Ike Diogu is really growing on me and I wouldn't have a problem with him at seven.</div>

<font color="Purple"><font size="1">Chuck Checks In</font></font>

I love Chuck, but that has to be one of the dumbest comments he's ever made.

13. Mr.Wade

Mr.Wade JBB The Canadian Dream

Haha... he's just an announcer Banks ease up!

He's just here for the entertainment lol..

14. Dabigboshdog

Dabigboshdog JBB JustBBall Member

lol..but ike diogu?? he might not have a problem with it, but the rest of the raptors fans will...

15. hohoyoyoyo

hohoyoyoyo JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr.Wade:</div><div class="quote_post">Damn... I thought Wright was better than that... who knows though it cuold've been a bad day really.

I really hope someone good is on board at 7... I really do, I want us to have a solid core.</div>

Hey Mr.Wade,

well, Wright surely disappoints quite a bit of people, but if you look at other forums from other websites, lots of raptor fans still love him and want to draft him despite such poor work out result

Why? probably followed too much Bab the C*ck and starting to think like one

anyways, my suggestion for 7th pick would be getting Granger for 7th pick if Felton is not on board.
    Gerald Green is still mysterious and i think that while he may be atheletic, he is going to have major work attitude problem later on and let emotion get to him and then affect his performance...which is kind of like Vince "Half Human, Half IPod" Carter

I think that Rafer should be the 6th man, and play either guard positions whenever rapedtors need him to bring up some energy (because it shows that he has TOO MUCH energy last season and make stupid mistakes; you don't want your floor general to be an air head like him)

If rapedtors don't get a PG in 1st round, then i suggest sign Dickau/Earl Watson/Brevin knight

they are as efficient as they can be and doesn't cost much to sign
    As far as i know, Dickau declined his option with Hornets, possibly because he doesn't want to share minutes with speedy...so...if toronto can offer him more min than he plays with Hornets (more than 25 min a game), he should come to toronto.

Any of the following combinations with the first round pick i will be happy with:

Granger+Graham (adds toughness and defence)
    Granger+Ukic (defence and versatility at the guard position since Ukic is 6 foot 5 and can play either guard...then possibly bundle up Rafer for some shooter)
    Granger+Jack (to make Bosh happy and sign extension)
    Felton+Graham (a good PG and defence stability)
    Felton+May (great chemistry as they were teammates in UNC)

as for 2nd round pick...i don't really care about the second 2nd round pick since it's so low it doesn't matter

the first round pick...to make Swirsky's head beam like Mr.Clean, toronto should get Nate Robinson
    Or else, get Gomes

All that being said, Toronto's GM is bab the C*ck, if he draft anymore european "big men" which are as strong as a chalk, then he sure does live up to his name as the ultimate genius
    And don't count so much on Embry the "advisor" since his history wasn't so great either...he was pretty much the reason Cleveland was so bad until just recently....AFTER he left.

16. hohoyoyoyo

hohoyoyoyo JBB JustBBall Member

But of course, felton might not be available at #7
    and it's also highly likely that graham won't be there by 16th...this guy is a beast...would be nice if toronto can get him..that being said, not worth the #7 pick to use on him

Toronto needs defence more than offence and stability is a prime thing...as for centre, well...toronto needs a C, but so do 80% of the NBA teams. I think that, especially in the east, you don't really need a true C...a tough PF/C (tough as in likes to play inside and is a rebounding machine...and can score a bit) and a solid utility type back up C will do the job for you
    They just don't come that often, so i suggest toronto stop hoping for one...especially that this year is pretty weak in C - Bogut is a nice prospect, but i don't see him as an Allstar. Channing Frye is just another Loren Woods, why bother?

Would be nice by the way if Toronto can pick up Warrick with the 16th pick too although i doubt he will be there by then...but hey..it's business, anything can happen.

17. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

It'd been better if you just edited your first post instead of double posting... but w/e. What's up with the bashing on Babcock? Cut the guy some slack man. After all, it looks like he's been doing his homework all last season for this draft and he has a pretty good idea of what each prospect players offer.

18. Dabigboshdog

i like babs work this year in the draft...he looks like he realized that hoffa isnt as good as he thought and tryna make things go smoothly this year

19. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

Meh.. I'll take Hoffa at 8th over Alex Radojevic at 12th any day of the year!

20. Dabigboshdog

lol
    i would take iggy at 9 over hoffa at 8 anytime of the millenium