The Official Lottery/Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Nasty, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hohoyoyoyo:</div><div class="quote_post">

Toronto needs defence more than offence and stability is a prime thing...

Would be nice by the way if Toronto can pick up Warrick with the 16th pick too although i doubt he will be there by then...but hey..it's business, anything can happen.</div>

I agree with you about Toronto needing more defense, but I don't know if Hakim Warrick really helps in that respect. In the second Round the Raptors should pick up two defense-oriented players like Eddie Badsen and Alan Anderson. Badsen is an excellent perimeter defender while, Alan Anderson is a good perimeter and high post defender.

2. Mr.Wade

Mr.Wade JBB The Canadian Dream

Great choice in Eddie Basden... that guy is strong and can straight up play defense. He's coming around to be like a Bruce Bowen... all he needs to do is work on his perimeter game, mostly his shot. That would be a nice pickup.

3. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

Mr. Wade, I don't know if you went to the Raptors.com to check out the latest audio interview with Antoine Wright but he apparently is a good buddy of Chris Bosh. I am still kinda skeptical about his numbers from the physical test in Chicago but if he happens to be picked by the Raps at 7 and Jarrett Jack at 16 that would give the Raps a nice core of young guys with a great team chemistry.

4. hohoyoyoyo

hohoyoyoyo JBB JustBBall Member

ok..sorry about the double posting
    i ddin't intend to do that actually...just kind of pressed the wrong button and i was slower than Big/Sleep Country Reeves that day

It's good to point out that warrick might not be THE ONE
    and i am not saying that he is the ebst choice
    but lets get realistic here...what's the chance of toronto getting both graham and granger? not high

Apparently...words are spread that portland has traded their 3rd pick with lakers...and lakers will either get Green or Chris Paul while portland is high on Webster.

It would be really nice though if toronto can get Nate Robinson IF they don't draft a PG in the first round...
    I also read on Metro briefly today that toronto's beloved GM is considering on ALL highschool prospects and is "struggling on whether to draft prospects or NBA ready players"
    The paper also said that he has the patience to wait for prospects while mitchell and the coaching crew urge him to draft NBA ready players

Now...lets just hope that he doesnt' repeat what he did last year

5. VinKanaddy

Er... who said we want both Graham and Granger? One of them is going to be enough. As for those rumours,, don't put much into it because it's probably just some college kid trying to stir things up.

6. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

...so...what canadian channel is the draft on? TSN or The Score?

7. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

The draft is on TSN at 7:00 PM.

8. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting R_ChutneY:</div><div class="quote_post">The draft is on TSN at 7:00 PM.</div>
    man I can't wait, and it is decided whether we get 7th or 8th by coin flip?

Edit:

Apparently we might have an agreement with Andrew Bynum???

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"According to one NBA source, Toronto might have a deal with Bynum to pick him at No. 16. As of Sunday night, mock drafts at www.nbadraft.net and www.hoopshype.com supported that claim. If the Raptors do select Bynum at No. 16, he would earn a base salary of $1,336,920 in his rookie season." News-Times</div>

Link

9. VinKanaddy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SkiptoMyLue11:</div><div class="quote_post">man I can't wait, and it is decided whether we get 7th or 8th by coin flip?

Edit:

Apparently we might have an agreement with Andrew Bynum???

Link</div>

The 7th / 8th was already decided by the coin flip. We won and we get the 7th pick. I don't think that's entirely true about the Bynum ordeal.. he refused to work out for the Raptors.

10. Skiptomylue11

Woot! We won the coin flip I love it, I was worrying NY would draft ahead of us.

11. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SkiptoMyLue11:</div><div class="quote_post">Woot! We won the coin flip I love it, I was worrying NY would draft ahead of us.</div>

[​IMG] ... Where have you been?

12. Skiptomylue11

In a world a month behind everyone else's, where only I worry about drafting behind New York and I celebrate winning coin flips similar to how I win such highly prestigious events like bingo.

If you were wondering physical location, hmmm I would say I was deported to Russia, but I was really in Toronto. Except for two weekends when I went up to a place called Kawaja Pines. I also visited the far depths of Mississauga!

13. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Crap, exactly what I didn't want. We have to choose between Green and Granger.

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Charlie Villanueva! [​IMG]

15. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD BABCOCK DO THIS? He may pass Isiah as stupidist GM.... okay it isnt THAT bad but its damn bad.

16. Bobcats

What....the.....hell. Ok, I like Graham at 16, that's going to be a steal, BUT HOW COULD HE PICK VILLANUEVA AT FRIGGIN 7 OVER GRANGER AND GREEN. THERE BETTER BE A TRADE OR IM GONNA BE PISSED. I'm still surprised Granger and Green havn't been picked yet.

17. lazy afternoon

lazy afternoon JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG]. I don't understand how that could happen. Charlie at 7 over Granger and Green?

18. Bobcats

Holy crap, mocks are going to take a hit tonight. This draft has been anything but predictable like first thought. If you told me Granger would go at 17 and Green at 18, I would've called you crazy. [​IMG]

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

It's not even about how good Villaneuva can be or whatever, it's that he's a 6'9 PF/SF. We have Bosh at PF, and we drafted Joe Graham who's obviously a better SF to play there, and still have Jalen and Mo.

So what is the point of drafting him? He's not the BPA, he doesn't fit a need, and he's likely going to be coming off the bench. It's not like he's a banger and has a centers game, he's a perimeter PF/SF.

PG: Rafer | Ukic
    SG: Green/Granger| MoPete
    SF: Graham | Jalen
    PF: Bosh | Bonner
    C: Araujo | Pape

This is what we do have:

PG: Rafer | Ukic
    SG: Jalen | MoPete
    SF: Graham | Williams
    PF: Bosh | Charlie | Bonner
    C: Araujo | Pape

20. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

This draft was seriously one of the most confusing I've ever watched. Every thing we've been talking and reading about has flipped around. What happened to Danny Granger? So many teams passed on him after he was so highly rated.

Honestly, our 7th pick was a dream scenario because we had the chance to choose between the supposedly the two players we wanted the most. That turned out to be wrong. I don't get the Villanueva pick. It's not drafting for position because there were better forwards out there. And it's not drafting for best talent because Green was still on the board. I gotta see this on the court, but I don't know what to think. I think bad drafting runs in the Babcock genes.

The 16th pick was good because we got Joey Graham. But it was like it was the 7th pick all over, because Granger and Green were on the board. Both of them are better.

The greatest pick was Roko Ukic in the 2nd round. What a steal.

After so much doubt over who would be left, this draft was really confusing. Either Babcock has some master plan that will unfold at the last second, or he's a complete dumbass. And why would Embry and English let him do that? I'm just speechless.