The official Nurk, the shoulder thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

@dviss1

2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I stopped reading when you tell me I can't understand...

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Huh? I didnt said that. I said I don't see how you cant understand. Meaning I think you do and im confused.

And I said how can you not understand that? which is a question, not a statement.

I am asking for you to show me you understand.

Man you are whimping out here...

I don't need a response. your silence and avoidance of the initial question is enough. You didn't respond prior to me saying I don't think you understand. The reason I said that or asked that is BECAUSE you didn't respond.

You have avoided the question about BBIQ from the get go.

Great double standard on a healthy debate.....

Your response above is about the same as this analogy:

You dont wanna play the game by my rules? then Im taking my ball and going home....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Come on D you are better than this....Ive seen it.

4. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I've decided not to debate with people who start questioning my knowledge because I've never refereed NBA. My mentor is an NBA evaluator... He still evaluates NBA referees today... Those same people don't have at least 7500 hours of giving rules interpretation. Then to ask silly (rhetorical) questions about whether or not BBIQ is higher at the NBA level than at the NCAA/HS levels... That's just a silly question that you want me to answer so it will fit with your narrative. We both already know the answer to it.

My contention is that coaches at every level misinterpret and flat out do not know some rules as one of the main jobs a referee has is to be a rules interpreter.

75% of those conversations you see (damn near every call) are referees interpreting why the whistle was blown.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

LOL. I umpired for 5 years and coaches knew SHIT about baseball rules so many times...

Just because they coach they do not know that much about the rules... it was eye opening when I became an umpire.

dviss1 and PtldPlatypus like this.
  6. Strenuus

Every level of competitive sport (HS, College, Professional) I would easily gather most do not know all the rules.

I had to explain the infield fly rule to a former MLB player who was coaching a wood bat league.

dviss1 likes this.
  7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Great, then that means you can explain it to me. Thanks in advance.

dviss1 likes this.
  8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I would love specifics.

I cannot wrap my head around professional level coaches not knowing the rules. Doesn't make sense at all.

Have ANY of you actually had conversations with NBA or MLB coaches and come to this conclusion? Or are you basing it off of what you see on tv and conversations with friends and comparing that to your own local experience coaching high school and T-ball, etc?

Simply unfathomable. Sorry. I may be wrong, but wont be able to believe it without some decent proof in my face.

I mean, wouldn't you think that if this were the case then coaches would study the rule book inside and out to have an edge on all the other coaches who don't know anything?

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I only questioned it after you wouldn't acknowledge the BBIQ that we brought up. Don't get all butt hurt. Defend yourself with your knowledge if you indeed know more than NBA coaches. :)
    All good though.
    I know the proof I am looking for is not easily obtained, if it is even there at all.

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Ive been a coach for 30 years at different levels....none higher than JC, and I can assure you after hours and hours of studying the rule book, I don't know all the rules, or how to interpret some rules.

dviss1, Trackjack and Strenuus like this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

donaghy.jpg sorry dviss....I'd guess there's more than one but this guy wrote the book

12. Strenuus

Infield fly rule, as easily as I can explain it, is runners on first and second or bases loaded with less than 2 outs. The ball must be in fair territory and by the umpires judgement, be a batted ball that can be 'routinely' caught by an infielder.

The right way for the umpire to adjudicate the call verbally is, with their right index finger in the air, say "Infield fly, Infield fly, batter is out, runners move at their own risk." Though, the last part doesn't really need to be said, I always threw it in there for fun. If the ball is close to the foul line you do say "Infield fly, if fair".

13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So, it's basically in effect whenever the umpire decides it is.

14. Strenuus

if you want any proof: It's all right here - http://www.closecallsports.com/

Spend an hour there. All the perspective is in there. Videos, breakdowns, umpires talking to one another, rule interpretations - all from the professional level. It's the best I can do to show you.

Their stories are just as good as the ones we can tell - you just can't listen to ours because we can't prove it - and I feel you'll discredit, anyway.

Also, T-ball doesn't have "umpires". That felt like an insult.

Jade Falcon and dviss1 like this.
  15. Strenuus

The infield fly is in effect during those scenarios regardless (R on 1st and 2, or bases loaded, less than 2 outs). The only time the "umpire decides it" is if it's either a question of fair/foul or it's starting to not become routine for an infielder to make the play (I.E. if the infielder is sprinting towards the outfielder and is clearly not going to be catching it in a still-stand position).

That's where the judgement comes in. There was a play in Atlanta during the playoffs that was called an infield fly that I really think shouldn't have... still bugs me to this day. I'll have to find the video. That's the only time I can remember being like "Umm... no, that's completely wrong."

dviss1 likes this.
  16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Thanks,
    No insult intended, was just trying to pick the lowest division of sports I could think of and have the full spectrum provided.

17. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

Literally anyone in any service industry has had this happen to them. Ref's are not some special hot button for criticism that happens no where else in society. Players get the same treatment, so do coaches. Get over it.

18. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

You know doesn't matter what sport your in by it is player or a coach even official if your not learning about something about the game everyday then your properly not progressing in the sport. Due to they are always changing thing in the game,

19. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

The next get together I'll bring a rule book. Trust me, it's SUPER hard to comprehend and interpret.

Orion Bailey and Strenuus like this.
  20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Foolish statement.