The Official Timberwolves Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by twolvefan11, Jun 27, 2003.

1. twolvefan11

twolvefan11 JBB Banned Member

from pioneer press

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"This definitely is just a beginning,'' team owner Glen Taylor told the Pioneer Press shortly after trading Joe Smith and Anthony Peeler to the Milwaukee Bucks for Sam Cassell and Ervin Johnson. "We've got a lot more work to do." Even with Johnson on the roster, the Timberwolves are concerned about incumbent center Rasho Nesterovic who is drawing interest from Toronto and New York even though Minnesota would love to talk to Alonzo Mourning. "I think we just want to know where we sit with Rasho," Taylor said. "But Rasho's our No. 1, so that's what we prefer to do." Of course, Terrell Brandon's name came up over the weekend. "We've got a deal that we can do,'' Taylor said. "We're just seeing if we can get it better, or if there are a couple of other deals that might be better. We've got a couple of other teams that have asked us to wait and see. Each deal gives us about three players, but we want a starter, and (with) the other two we're just helping the other team out. So they've got to be good bench guys for us. I think we've got to be patient on the Terrell thing."</div>

2. twolvefan11

Carl English has narrowed the potential candidates to three teams: Indiana, Minnesota and Orlando. Good news for us.

3. twolvefan11

Center Ervin Johnson, acquired with point guard Sam Cassell in a trade with Milwaukee in exchange for Joe Smith and Anthony Peeler on Friday, is scheduled to take a physical this morning. Cassell, 33, is scheduled to arrive for his physical on Wednesday. The medical checkups are needed to complete the trade. Cassell is said to be happy with going to Minnesota and is looking forward to a new opportunity.

4. twolvefan11

Kevin Garnett's agent Andy Miller said he will meet soon with the Wolves superstar to discuss his future. Garnett is entering the final year of a six-year $126 million contract, and the Wolves would like to sign him to an extension before he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer.

5. twolvefan11

The Timberwolves' No. 1 priority is to re-sign starting center Rasho Nesterovic, who averaged 11.2 points and 6.5 rebounds last season ? the best numbers of his five-year career. He averaged seven points and five rebounds in the playoffs against the Los Angeles Lakers because he had trouble staying out of foul trouble while guarding Shaquille O'Neal.

6. t_wolves_6thman

t_wolves_6thman JBB JustBBall Member

if rasho goes, i want to brad miller or olokawandi... and we need to good PF.. for example elton brand...

troy, sam,Kg,elton,brad,ervin,marc,kendall,rick.ndudi,wally,felipe... i think very good.. is it possible?

wally? will he stay or go?

7. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

KG is the PF... signing those players are more of a wish then a possibility... plus Wally would never stay quiet coming of the bench PLUS I dont see Sam and Troy both starting...

8. twolvefan11

T-Wolves GM Kevin McHale is howling at the moon.

Coming off his seventh straight first-round playoff defeat, McHale knows he has one last shot at convincing Kevin Garnett that he should retire in Minnesota.

He's off to a good start. McHale got the ball rolling by performing an exorcism of sorts on the Wolves. He kicked Joe Smith -- the guy that cost them three first-round draft picks and a $3.5 million fine -- to the curb one day after the draft. In return he landed mercurial veteran Sam Cassell -- a slick, sweet-shooting point guard who, if nothing else, can keep up with Garnett in the trash talking department. And the team appears to be close to locking up center Rasho Nesterovic to a long-term deal.

And now for the kicker: Insider has learned the Wolves may be on the verge of grabbing one of the most coveted free-agent bargains of 2003 -- Juwan Howard.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

GREAT news for the Timberwolves, if McHale gets him, he will be one of the most beloved men in Minnesota.

9. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "twolvefan11":</div><div class="quote_post">T-Wolves GM Kevin McHale is howling at the moon.

Coming off his seventh straight first-round playoff defeat, McHale knows he has one last shot at convincing Kevin Garnett that he should retire in Minnesota.

He's off to a good start. McHale got the ball rolling by performing an exorcism of sorts on the Wolves. He kicked Joe Smith -- the guy that cost them three first-round draft picks and a $3.5 million fine -- to the curb one day after the draft. In return he landed mercurial veteran Sam Cassell -- a slick, sweet-shooting point guard who, if nothing else, can keep up with Garnett in the trash talking department. And the team appears to be close to locking up center Rasho Nesterovic to a long-term deal.

And now for the kicker: Insider has learned the Wolves may be on the verge of grabbing one of the most coveted free-agent bargains of 2003 -- Juwan Howard.

GREAT news for the Timberwolves, if McHale gets him, he will be one of the most beloved men in Minnesota.</div>

its been posted... look around...

10. twolvefan11

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "purehoops":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "twolvefan11":</div><div class="quote_post">T-Wolves GM Kevin McHale is howling at the moon.

GREAT news for the Timberwolves, if McHale gets him, he will be one of the most beloved men in Minnesota.</div>

its been posted... look around...</div>

I know, but I thought it should also go here.

11. twolvefan11

Sources close to Juwan Howard say he will sign with Minnesota on July 16th, the first day free agents can sign contracts, Timberwolves learned Sunday. Sam Cassell, just traded to Minnesota, is recruiting Howard. The Timberwolves are desperately trying to surround Kevin Garnett with enough talent to get out of the first round of the playoffs. Howard's stated goal is to win, something he actively has been trying to do since "Day One, since I stepped foot in the NBA."

12. twolvefan11

McHale made it clear in an informal conversation that Rickert will be a long shot to make the 2003-04 roster. He admitted to already being intrigued by two 6-5 guards on the summer league roster: Carl English and Kirk Penney, Wisconsin's senior star. "They are big, solid guys who I can see as real candidates to be that 11th or 12th guy on a team," McHale said. "They should be good practice players, with a chance to develop and find a role in this league."

13. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

sweet... good news on both posts.. [​IMG]

14. twolvefan11

I hope we get Ricky Davis. Davis is not that bad of an outside shooter. He hits 36% of his 3 PT shots, a little behind Wallys 42% but still not bad. And Cassells outside shooting pct has gotten better the older he gets. Add Hudson coming off the bench and we won't be hurting for outside shooting. If Rasho, Howard sign, we trade Wally for Davis, then we could trade Brandons contract to Indy for Artest if they are willing to part with him, and have Ricky on the bench. Cassell, Artest, KG, Howard, Rasho as our starters, THud, Davis, Jackson, Johnson, Ebi coming off the bench, plus whoever else we sign to fill out the roster. If we get this done, we will be one of the most feared teams in the NBA. We will have good depth and we will be almost even with the Kings. I may be dreaming, but I'm really excited about next season.

Depth
    PG-Cassell/Hudson
    SG-Artest/Davis
    SF-Howard/Ebi
    PF-Garnett/Jackson
    C-Nesterovic/Johnson

15. twolvefan11

16. AZ1

AZ1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "twolvefan11":</div><div class="quote_post">I hope we get Ricky Davis. Davis is not that bad of an outside shooter. He hits 36% of his 3 PT shots, a little behind Wallys 42% but still not bad. And Cassells outside shooting pct has gotten better the older he gets. Add Hudson coming off the bench and we won't be hurting for outside shooting. If Rasho, Howard sign, we trade Wally for Davis, then we could trade Brandons contract to Indy for Artest if they are willing to part with him, and have Ricky on the bench. Cassell, Artest, KG, Howard, Rasho as our starters, THud, Davis, Jackson, Johnson, Ebi coming off the bench, plus whoever else we sign to fill out the roster. If we get this done, we will be one of the most feared teams in the NBA. We will have good depth and we will be almost even with the Kings. I may be dreaming, but I'm really excited about next season.

Depth
    PG-Cassell/Hudson
    SG-Artest/Davis
    SF-Howard/Ebi
    PF-Garnett/Jackson
    C-Nesterovic/Johnson</div>
    if the twolves did get davis i dont think it would be to sit him on the bench

17. twolvefan11

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "AzBalla17":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "twolvefan11":</div><div class="quote_post">I hope we get Ricky Davis. Davis is not that bad of an outside shooter. He hits 36% of his 3 PT shots, a little behind Wallys 42% but still not bad. And Cassells outside shooting pct has gotten better the older he gets. Add Hudson coming off the bench and we won't be hurting for outside shooting. If Rasho, Howard sign, we trade Wally for Davis, then we could trade Brandons contract to Indy for Artest if they are willing to part with him, and have Ricky on the bench. Cassell, Artest, KG, Howard, Rasho as our starters, THud, Davis, Jackson, Johnson, Ebi coming off the bench, plus whoever else we sign to fill out the roster. If we get this done, we will be one of the most feared teams in the NBA. We will have good depth and we will be almost even with the Kings. I may be dreaming, but I'm really excited about next season.

Depth
    PG-Cassell/Hudson
    SG-Artest/Davis
    SF-Howard/Ebi
    PF-Garnett/Jackson
    C-Nesterovic/Johnson</div>
    if the twolves did get davis i dont think it would be to sit him on the bench</div>

Well now its going to have Artest play the 3.

18. twolvefan11

Free-agent center Rasho Nesterovic has narrowed his wish list down to two teams (Minnesota and San Antonio) and one long shot (New York) and plans to choose from among those destinations by Tuesday, ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports. Nesterovic already has a seven-year offer on the table worth more than $50 million from the Wolves, who desperately want to keep Nesterovic alongside Kevin Garnett on their front line.

19. twolvefan11

Agent Bill Duffy told ESPN.com that Nesterovic is in his native Slovenia, huddling with family to make the decision by Tuesday. Wednesday is the first day free agents are permitted to sign contracts. If the Wolves can hang onto Nesterovic, that should enhance their chances of luring Howard, who has also drawn significant interest from Orlando and Detroit -- with the Magic looming as the team most likely to beat Minnesota out.

20. twolvefan11

We got Kandi, so what's next? There are rumors going around about Artest and Davis and I have heard some about Rasheed Wallace for TB. I hope we get Artest. I don't care about his attitude, Garnett will help him on that, and we would get a GREAT defensive player and the slashing 2 we need. I can only hope though.....