The Olshey Era

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jun 3, 2021.

1. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

The KD-less Warriors won a championship right? 3 All stars by my count... good chance all 3 go to the HOF. Portland lacks enough talent to contend. Contenders have multiple AS type talents. The Blazers have one.

Would you consider Giannis Antetokounmpo a worthwhile asset?

STOMP

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Wizard Mentor likes this.
  2. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I think CJ is going. I'm just as sure about that as I was that Stotts is going.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yeah, that was a franchise altering miss. Those kind of opportunities come along about every 20 years

and later in that same draft, while Olshey was maneuvering to draft Allen Crabbe, Utah was maneuvering, with worse assets than Portland, to draft Rudy Gobert

STOMP and TBpup like this.
  4. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Nevermind the past just this season there is enough reasons to fire Olshey.
    He chose to keep Stotts after all those seasons so he believed in him which was proven to be epic fail.
    He accepted the clowing with the new defensive scheme we would roll out which we decided to shut down after 3 PRESEASON matches.
    He signed a player that waw not compatible with the coach. We all knew he wouldn't be able to use DJJ in a good way and our full MLE guy ended up DNP/CD.

Olshey/Stotts 50-50 wasted another season of Dame

5. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    He should never have survived 2016. The Crabbe, MyLe and Turner contracts were insane and crippled this franchise for years.

Phatguysrule, TBpup and Serbian like this.
  6. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

I’m still gonna hope for Spo since I read earlier they want a Pete carrol type of coach who makes front office decisions as well

wrong thread lol

7. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

Uhh...why isn’t Olshey fired yet???

8. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I don't think that Stotts was the only sacrifice Olshey promised to keep his job. I think he promised to get a second all star to go with Dame by trading at least CJ.

9. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

I wonder how much Paul allen was responsible for some of these deals. Would he be like...nope I'm a billiinare, not going to be outbid on crabbe...

10. Drttimmy

Drttimmy Well-Known Member

I think Olshey is on record as saying Allen insisted they retain Crabbe and that he felt it was too much. I'm disappointed Olshey is being retained and I don't think he can build a championship contending roster, but I agree Allen deserves some blame as well. His condition that he have a rapport with whoever is GM probably eliminated a lot of good candidates. I mean, look at what we ended up with. Allen may have hired a someone willing to hear out his ideas and strategies and even bend to Allen's will, but it didn't get us closer to a ring. I'll grudgingly give Olshey credit for something else. When he was hired he mentioned he wanted to avoid being in the middle purgatory. Either you're a true contender or you're sucking to put yourself in a position to acquire contending talent. I know that philosophy isn't popular with every fan, but it's personally one I prefer. Allen's impatience and insistence on being as competitive as possible every year, required Olshey operate outside his philosophy and, ironically, he's been stuck in purgatory his entire tenure. That said, it still doesn't excuse him for so many blunders or using his influence to convince Allen on the more sound approach.

11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Then you should be able to produce such a record. Outside of the stinking out loud speculative garbage produced by Quick/Canzano, I read everything I can on the team and yet never came across that bombshell of Olshey publicly throwing PA under the bus over the Crabbe signing. Such a quote would have exploded on this board in multiple threads and been rehashed endlessly. I've read similar assertions of PA endlessly meddling from posters over the years, but when confronted for a source with quotes, crickets.

Consider your source, garbage in garbage out.

STOMP

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  12. wizenheimer

I kind of look at it as Olshey and Stotts being vampires who have sucked millions of dollars out of the Blazer body that is pumping greenback lifeblood generated by Dame's skills and character. Stotts has some blood on his chin to be sure, but the queen of the vampire coven is Olshey, with his giant throbbing fangs and his Viktor glare at anybody who dare's question his leadership or his primary feeding place on the Blazer neck

Stotts has been staked out in the daylight by Viktor, but unless Viktor gets the same treatment, he's going to suck all of Dame's prime away....guaranteed

13. wizenheimer

well, that Paul Allen is at fault has certainly been a major go-to move by Olshey-apologists. I'm not saying you're one of them, but I am saying I've had that debate with the apologistas before

here's how it goes: Paul Allen is responsible for all the bad decisions; Olshey is responsible for the good decisions. Simple equation that makes sense to simple minds.

the thing is, if PA was micromanaging to such an extent that he called the shots on matching Crabbe, or offering Roy Hibbert a max deal, or trying twice to give Meyers a giant extension, or picking Zach over Abedayo...all of which is the natural progression of the 'Paul-Allen-made-me-do-it' logic....then for sure PA was responsible for every decision; or at least enough of them that Olshey is nothing more than an irrelevant haircut

14. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    You've got to cut the head off the snake!