The perfect player to bring...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer4ever, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    Rudy Gay.

The Kings would unload his contract for cap-room. A smart, fasciliating, starting 3, considered overrated to the point he's underrated, often takes too much on himself but can also create for others. Plays solid defense, solid all-around numbers, needs a new start.

2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

What is your basis for the above-bolded statement?

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  3. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Ah, the poor man's Carmelo.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  4. Blazer4ever

Agricolture
    I would trade for him before I'd trade for Melo. And I think the Kings would welcome the fresh start and so would he.

5. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Kings aren't going to give him away. They might consider a trade, but it is going to cost a LOT more than I would be willing to pay.

Blazer509 and 0-Our! like this.
  6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I would roll the dice on RG. I don't love or hate Rudy Gay's game. I do like him more than most on this board.

But I bet that George Karl values him too. George knows he himself is not there for the long run. He needs RG's scoring this year to even have a chance at the playoffs. So I think he will fight to keep him.

Similar to what we said about Cousins.......we will have to wait until the All Star break before we know if Sacramento wants to make big changes.

But if it only took cap space or something like Harkless/Crabbe/ Kaman....hell yes I would the chance on this rotation until we found a young SF.

Dame, Pressey
    Henderson, CJ
    Gay, Aminu
    Plumlee, Leonard, Davis, Vonleh

7. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

I've been tooting the Rudy gay horn since the beginning of the offseason. Id love to have him, but it's not the right time. Let us lose big time this year for that draft pick. We don't want to be middling around the dreaded middle

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

He hasn't exactly put the Kings over the top

0-Our! likes this.
  9. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

Disclaimer: none of this is directed @ u riverman (I believe we're on the same page:wink:), this is for the Rudy lovers out there:tongue:

He hasn't put anyone over the top. Does it make any1 wonder why (again, stated before in this forum & others AND mentioned by articles/other critics/writers) HE LEAVES AND teamS get BETTER? I've seen his "game" & I don't like it; he'd b a terrible fit for us because... he doesn't. I like the guys we have right now way more.

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Rudy Gay is to winning organizations as Carmelo Anthony is to winning organizations.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    dviss1, ripcityboy, BUNTA and 5 others like this.
  11. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I'd rather have Rudy Fernandez.

0-Our! likes this.
  12. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

Realistically, I'd MUCH rather have Rudy Gobert (but he's pretty much untouchable now:smiley-cry:).

13. Blazer4ever

Agricolture
    I think he'd be a very good fit with this team, moreso than with most of the teams he's been with in the past

14. Jon

Jon mr. 300

his jersey sales in portland would go through the roof.

15. Pinwheel1

Based on our roster, what is our biggest need right now? I realize it is not an easy answer because we have yet to see them all play together. But "on paper".......the glaring need, is a SF who can score. We already have two SF's who can play D, but we don't have any that are good scorers. So IMO he could be a good fit.

Granted it is always difficult to gage how a "scorer" will translate when he goes to an different team. Adrian Dantley and Mark Aguirre were both thought to be bad fits for Detroit when they traded for them for similar reasons. But they ended up filling a need. Vets often learn from their younger days and are willing to adapt their game in order to fit in and win.

If it back fires what is the worst case scenario? We get a better draft pick?

16. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

He will be 30 by training camp;
    He is expensive;
    He hasn't helped any team win;
    By the time this team is in their window (if they get a window), Gay will be 33-35;

How exactly does this fit with the current plan?

BBert and 0-Our! like this.
  17. Pinwheel1

He turned 29 last week and his salary is only 12 million next year. The original post was based on not giving up anything to get him except cap space. And although I disagree that is even possible, if it was....how does that really hurt us? If it doesn't work out, then we trade him for an asset.

Sure we might get a SF in the draft if we suck. But maybe we won't. Rudy would be a stop gap until we do find one. It's not like we are trading Aminu for him.

Again I think this is a moot point. I doubt Sac gives him away. I am just saying I would do it if they offered. I see no down side except a worst draft pick.

18. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

I wouldn't even say this is moot @ best; I don't think the trade will be out there.

I am saying IF they offered... I'd say no thanks. The only players I'd want from Sac. would b Stein & Cousins (not even sure if the rumors/possibilities are there & are the headaches worth it? Cousins is the 1 guy that I'm fickle w/; ask me different days if I want him here & you'll get different answers:jugle:) & I'm not willing to give up much to get them.

19. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    This?

20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

YOU don't want to be middling around in the middle. Many of us see our age and lack of experience and would consider it a win this season if we were middle of the pack. That would mean the players are improving and gelling as expected and will continue to do so based on their age.
    This is a rare scenario, where I don't think we need to be last this coming season in order to improve down the road. Again, what is one more draft pick gonna do for us? We have how many in the top 15 already?

I don't understand those that think the next three years will be predicated by tanking and getting a top 4 draft pick. This is as chancey as it is thinking all the new players WILL improve. I just don't get it. Someone wanna try to convince me otherwise? Doesn't add up in my book.