The Point Guard This Team Needs!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Crimson the Cat, Nov 13, 2008.

1. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

from what i saw few in this crowd were giving him much serious thought, and if we wanted him our being able to trade into position for him was not what anyone would have called a pipe dream.

i didn't say anything about the details. yeah most would have expected us to have to give up another irrelevant piece or two, but almost everyone knew we were trying to get one of the remaining PGs after rose, and there was a very good chance it was going to happen. the only real pipe dreams were rose beasley mayo.

the only way rubio is not a pipe dream is if his stock crashes, which isn't likely.

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    One possibility, though it would probably cause a riot in Portland, would be to anoint Rudy Fernandez as our SG of the present/future and trade Roy for Rubio.

3. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

at 17, Telfair could never have played as well. I'm going by what I saw of him in the Olympics this Summer.

4. Crimson the Cat

Your use of pipedream is then different from mine.

Not true I was aware of him well before the draft. Leading up to the draft I was hoping that Portland would select him.

5. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

general speaking it certainly was true. obviously hardcore draft prospect junkies would have known, but your typical fan was concentrating on the NCAA PGs.

6. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Per my good friend Denny Crane: "trolling is not a rule"

7. Crimson the Cat

Why I like Rubio so much is his unique combination of speed, control, playmaking, AND defensive skills.

This is something that just one player doesn't have.

8. Crimson the Cat

I'm in the minority, I'm sure, but I would seriously consider taking the team in that direction.

9. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

to me it means irrational, illusory hope. roy, aldridge, bayless, and batum were reasonably expected targets. there were lots of rational scenerios where we would end up with any of them. and everyone knew the exact odds of our getting oden months ahead of time, and we happened to beat the odds.

rubio is not a reasonably expected target because top teams in the draft would want way too much, and assuming we don't have multiple season-ending injuries to starters and decide to tank we have no odds at all to luck into him.

10. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

trading our emotional team leader, best all-around, and best clutch player for an unproven teenage PG with no NBA experience no matter how talented would set our championship hopes back years.

11. Crimson the Cat

Ok. So we share the same definition of the term.

We then disagree on the chances of something like this happening. I don't believe it's irrational to think that Pritchard could see Rubio as THE point guard for this team, and be focused on attaining him.

Getting both Roy and Aldridge were not expected targets. I was blown away by this move. I guess that's just me. Same could be said about getting both Batum and Bayless. Personally I wanted Batum at #13.

I'd say the odds of landing both Oden and Rudy are much closer to putting together a deal for Ricky; landing both Roy and Aldridge; acquiring both Batum and Bayless; then, to a "pipedream" scenario.

Depends on what other draft prospects emerge, team needs, and the draft order. Context man. We need context before saying that the idea of Ricky Rubio as a Blazer is an irrational, unreasonable pipedream.

12. GoBlazersGo

GoBlazersGo Well-Known Member

Perhaps not... but it's certainly a contribution towards upping your current level of unparalleled douchebaggery around here.

13. Crimson the Cat

Again, I did preface my statement by saying I'd "strongly consider" it. I believe in our team. I love our team. But, I don't necessarily believe it's yet as good as it can get.

A backcourt of Ricky Rubio, Rudy Fernandez, Jerryd Bayless and a front court of Nicolas Batum, Lamarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden, Martell Webster, Travis Outlaw, and Joel Przybilla might be greater than a team built around Brandon Roy.

Might be. Hey this is a discussion board, right?

Besides I'd be pissed off if Pritchard wasn't open to exploring all ideas of bettering this team, including moving Brandon Roy.

I would've hated the idea of trading away Clyde Drexler, but if we had to make room for a guy named Jordan, I think things would have worked out fine.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  14. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

the context may change, but in the current context it is irrational. i assume most would project him #1 if he says he'll sign, which is very likely. almost every team in the lottery will be looking for a potential star PG as their #1 priority - t-wolves, warriors, clippers, thunder etc are probably already salivating and making tanking plans. his value will be astronomical.

15. shamelessblazer

shamelessblazer Member

How exactly does Blake play "off the ball" other than sitting in the corner? This is a deep mystery to me as I never see him get rebounds, go around screens, set screens, or cut to the hoop.

Batum was a projected #4 pick on draftexpress at this time last year. He was awesome a year and a half ago in the America/Euro high school game going against Beasley, Rose, and Mayo. His stock fell when he was asked to be the man on his Euro team at 18 (his cheap ass owner got rid of the vets), and his heart murmur thing.

16. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

I think you've mistaken me for someone else. :confused:

17. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

Trading for Rubio would be..wow...I don't even think words can describe how incredibly terrible that would be...shame shame know your name.
    How many times must we bring up the intangibles Roy brings to this team hat just can not be measured?!

18. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell a team would trade away their rights to one of the most highly anticipated point guard prospects in years for an expiring contract and a bunch of backups and a middling first round draft pick.

As for other talented point guards coming up in the draft I don't want any of them; this team doesn't need to keep getting younger, it needs to start adding some veteran role-players, or even a veteran high quality point (if they can swing it) -- just say "no" to more youth.

19. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

And then we'll trade Oden for Marc Gasol, and a package of guys for Pau Gasol and Allen will change the team name to F.C. Portland ... maybe we could get Juan Carlos Navarro to join too?

20. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

then in 4 years instead of a ring ceremony to start the season we could have a silver medal ceremony.