Exclusive The poorest person you know pays more taxes than Amazon

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by jonnyboy, Apr 6, 2018.

1. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Jeff Bezos is the richest person on the planet, and Forbes' first centi-billionaire (person worth hundreds of billions). His company pays no federal taxes and many of his employees are forced to collect government benefits because they are paid shit wages.

In this video, my favorite liberal, Jimmy Dore, takes establishment liberal sociopath Jeff Bezos to task.

Please watch.

3RA1N1AC and bodyman5000 and 1 like this.
  2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Wait, I thought we taxed corporations too much? Now apparently we don't tax them enough?

stampedehero and riverman like this.
  3. jonnyboy

^didn't watch the video.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  4. julius

singer songwriter
    Actually I did.

I'm commenting about how Trump lowered taxes on the corporations because we taxed them too much, yet Bezos (and tons of other companies) pay very little in taxes.

Also I'm commenting that the government doesn't give 2 shits about you or me, and just spin shit to make it so those who have the money keep it and aren't required to play the game fairly.

Further likes this.
  5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Well.... they DO run the country. Corporations are people too!

Further likes this.
  6. julius

singer songwriter
    They need free speech too!

Further likes this.
  7. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired

counterpoint

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/us/politics/trump-amazon-taxes.html

of course we have a president that refuses to show his taxes and even bragged about how he skirted the tax laws

Further, riverman and Lanny like this.
  8. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

This is the main point here that people have already forgot about this. Also Bezo's owns the Washington Post which flames Trump on a daily basis, its hard to not consider Trumps criticism of Amazon as personal and retaliation, otherwise he would have included Walmart and many others in the same sentence.

Further, riverman and Lanny like this.
  9. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I'm not going to watch but if it says something about Amazon cheating the UPS out of postage then I'll have to cry BS. It turns out there's a law that says the post office is not allowed to lose money on the delivery of packages. While Amazon gets a deal on USPS delivery of it's packages, the Post Office is still making, not losing, money on the deal. Cancel the deal and hurt the post office.

MarAzul likes this.
  10. jonnyboy

So wanting lower taxes means you aren't allowed to point out the fact Amazon pays ZERO taxes?

Lowering taxes is different than letting the richest man in the world cheat the system, rob taxpayers, shit on his own employees, and pay ZERO, not "lower", but ZERO taxes.

But of course, somehow my post has been twisted into an invented strawman argument that I am somehow defending Donald Trump, a person who never even crossed my mind when I made the thread.

11. jonnyboy

Cool story. Had nothing to do with that.

12. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I don't exactly want to defend Amazon, but how is Bezos cheating the system? Is he using some tax loophole not available to other companies? I don't think so. Is he misrepresenting Amazon's financial results? Seems unlikely. I'm sure the IRS takes a good close look at Amazon.

His employees don't have to work for him, it's a free country. Lots of companies pay poor wages, and they generally suffer higher turnover and lower quality work as a result. In some businesses that's not a very good tradeoff financially, but it's up to Amazon to decide that. Sounds like you are advocating for a higher minimum wage? Are you a fellow traveler?

barfo

MarAzul likes this.
  13. jonnyboy

So Amazon payed a whopping (lol) 13% tax rate between 2007 and 2015? Good for them, thats not even half of the same percentage lower middle class families payed. You'd better send Bezos a thank you letter. By the way, it's 2018. Do you have any current data?

14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

And guns!

15. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I assume you know that corporations pay matching taxes for employee income tax.

16. donkiez

I think the disconnect you have with some of us is why do you only care about Amazon when the whole system is rigged and got more rigged with the new tax system. If you are upset people think you are defending Donald Trump its because you are upset with what he is upset with, when he is upset with it, and how he is upset with it, and you ignore other similar cases just like he does. So Trump on.

Further likes this.
  17. jonnyboy

Not when they are payed in stocks, and the entire payroll is tax-deductible, so taxpayers end up footing the bill.

Is it impossible to watch the video that is the subject of the thread before trying to refute it?

18. jonnyboy

You are absolutely painting me into a corner based on your own dislike for Trump. Why not offer up these examples I'm supposedly ignoring? I think a person has to at least know about something before they can ignore it. You could have said:
    "yeah, that's fucked up. Check out these other things that are also fucked up."
    But instead you choose to take out your dislike of Trump on a person who you invented an opposing agenda for.
    Just get a trump doll and punch it when you're mad. Less writing and it accomplishes the same thing.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

without watching the video the thread title alone is a point of contention....the poorest people I know pay zero taxes......they are too poor to need to file...during the campaign...Trump said not paying taxes makes him smart....I'm sure his audit has been completed for over a year now and he still doesn't separate himself from his businesses...I guess that makes this guy smart too

20. donkiez

in a previous post I mentioned Walmart, they have been doing this longer than Amazon. This has been a pretty major issue with lots of corporations for a long time. Where as all the outrage been before Trump opened his mouth? Its the system not the companies involved, and Trump has done plenty to make sure the system is even more fucked up. The companies just play by the rules that the system sets up them.

Fair enough on painting you into a corner defending Trump, as I dont want to be painted into a corner defending Amazon because I am not.

jonnyboy likes this.