The Raptors should be an example to us of how to build a better team

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, May 25, 2019.

1. joeBlazers

joeBlazers Well-Known Member

The reason you believe that is because they aren't flashy. They are sound and methodical. Just like the Tim Duncan led Spurs teams.
    When Kerr tried to double Kawhi, he moved the ball until they found the open man to make the shot. No Hero Ball from Kawhi.
    When Kerr tried to double the Blazers best players, they all go into HERO ball mode. Shooting the team out of games by themselves.
    To me, there are two things that come to mind with the Raptors (and that's why I picked them to win).
    1. Team defense
    2. High IQ play from some of their best players.
    I believe both 1. and 2. can be instilled by a coach. However, Stotts is not the guy, because he doesn't understand these two keys to beat the Warriors.

2. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    You are so wrong... I liked most of those Spurs teams with how they played. It has nothing to do with "flash" and nothing to do with why I don't think highly of Toronto.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  3. joeBlazers

joeBlazers Well-Known Member

They have beaten the Warriors 5 out of 6 games this season. Some games with Durant and other game without Kawhi.
    They rarely go on scoring droughts.
    They don't give up easy baskets
    They made Embiid cry, made Giannis (MVP) human and made Bledsoe, Middleton(Allstar) look like chumps
    They take away other teams strengths methodically and consistently.
    It is not luck. They have a system in place and they implement, then deploy it. And it works.

HailBlazers and Blazers Roy like this.
  4. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Yup 96 bulls look out...

5. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I think I wrote it the first time we played the Raptors this year: They are a very good team. Much, much better than I realized.

Their depth impressed me. Their length and their ability to defend.

You know the other thing the Raptors have that I think is probably their biggest advantage over the Blazers? They have more than two ballhandlers.

Sometimes they have four guys on the floor who can handle the basketball, who can bring it up. They always have at least three. The Blazers have three at most when they go to a lineup with Dame, CJ and Turner, and Turner's much more limited offensively than any of the Raptors' ballhandlers.

You want to take pressure off Dame (besides actually looking to run transition sometimes)? Having a forward who can bring the ball up and initiate offense is one very good way to do it. Just every now and then. You want to discourage teams from running kamikaze traps at the logo? Have a forward who can be a pressure reliever because he can dribble.

The Raptors have Kawhi and Siakam. The Blazers have Mo and Chief. I can't overstate the difference.

6. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Mo is the guy who really could make the Blazers so much a better team if he ever determined what he wants to be. If he was an energy defender like Draymond, which he could be, the Blazers would be much better. If Mo showed he was competent and comfortable bringing the ball up the court from time to time, the Blazers would be a much better team.

Honestly, he shows glimpses where you think he could be either of those, if not both. But more often he's just a guy who occasionally makes jaw-dropping plays but you really don't notice out there 95 percent of the time. He's too talented to be that. I don't know him to say what the problem is, but he looks so disinterested or maybe unengaged would be the best word.

A Batum-like player would be a huge addition to the Blazers, I think that would take them another leg up the ladder. Not Batum himself; I think he's shot. But a guy who offers what Nic did when he was here: A capable dribbler/facilitator who can kill you from 3 if you don't respect him and who also makes momentum-changing defensive plays.

I know, easier to say than to find. Maybe it's why I like drafting Bazley so much.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  7. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    keep hearing GSW outclassed portland from the media etc. Seems more true now than ever. Simply no goddamn reason to have been swept. No fucking reason

8. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Full mental breakdown from the top to the bottom that was it. Thats the reason. Lets remember Houston and the Clippers managed to win two games.

9. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

The Raptors also have role player that can hit shots when the ball moves to the open man. Mo and Aminu wouldn't work on the Raptors.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

wow.....just wow

11. OneSport3

OneSport3 The Knowledge Hoarder

You literally validated the intention of this thread with your attempt at debunking it. The Blazers have never traded for a star caliber player, so might as well not even consider it??? That's the flawed thinking this thread is attempting to address.

The Raptors were willing to take the risk of trading their Derozan, their franchise player that was loved by the entire team and fanbase, for Kawhi. This risk looks like it will payoff for them immensely. Even if Kawhi leaves, but they end up winning the title, it would worth it for the championship.

For teams/markets like Toronto, OKC and Portland where star free agents aren't clamoring to go to, you have to take more risks when the opportunity presents itself. The higher the risk, the higher the reward.

12. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Agree with this. It was more a mental thing with a touch of fatigue. We were up big in three of those games. You don't get up big like that unless you are good. You don't beat the Nuggets twice in Denver unless you are good. You don't wipe out OKC unless you are good.

This is a mental block when we play GS. We needed to get more out of the forward position than we did. Those guys just were invisible. Tentative. Dame's injury definitely was a factor. But those third quarters? That was a mental thing. We came out flat. It wasn't that we didn't perform. We lacked any energy in the third quarter. I've watched a lot of basketball in my life, and I've never seen anything like that. Ever.

Cugel, hoopsjock, Titan and 2 others like this.
  13. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    [QUOTE="TorturedBlazerFan, post: 4759507, member: 29503"]I still dont think Toronto is very good, the Blazers arent either. Just GS has basically ran out energy / bodies. They are missing KD who’s pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Not very good teams don't make it to the WCF or the NBA finals. Why such negativity? You didn't enjoy the season? I certainly did.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd say seeing CJ enter the playoffs coming off a strained ligament behind his knee missing 12 games...Enes playing every game after separating his shoulder against OKC...or Dame on fumes playing the finals with separated ribs and all this missing our starting center.....hell it was miraculous if you ask me....and then we did win most of the qtrs. we played the Warriors tough even though we couldn't finish....mad respect for our playoff run. Lowry, Green, Gasol and Leonard all seem pretty healthy in this series.

HailBlazers and PCmor7 like this.
  15. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

You are telling me that the Blazers have never went after a star caliber player? If so, that is obviously flawed thinking. Even if not, it is still flawed as the Raptors had exactly what the Spurs needed in trade at the time, the Blazers did not. Plus you left out the wily old veteran the Raptors were able to trade for, something that the Blazers can't seem to do no matter how much they beg the rest of the players in the league (Carmelo Anthony, hint hint).

So, no, following the Raptors lead here would still not be a good analogy.

HailBlazers likes this.
  16. OneSport3

You're right, I don't know if POR has tried behind the scenes or not to acquire a star player. Maybe they have and were rebuffed. But you can't stop trying. The premise of this thread was that the Raptors reached the ECF last year with the Coach of the Year. But they quickly realized that was their ceiling and traded their franchise player and fired their coach. They weren't just happy about reaching the conference finals. The opposite is true for POR organization and fan base. The organization and a majority of the fanbase seems happy just to have reached the WCF. They extended Stotts and Olshey.

And if you're saying this team should have traded for CARMELO ANTHONY then you lose all credibility.

BonesJones and tester551 like this.
  17. OneSport3

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26923847/what-kawhi-raptors-done-warriors

"He urged his team to veer just a bit away from the pick-and-roll -- to use more off-ball screening and cutting.

"They've done a great job of clogging up our pick-and-rolls," Nurse told ESPN after Game 3. "We've got stuck in them a lot. So we tried to get away from them a little -- a little more cutting." The Raptors, at times, looked like the old-school, Kevin-Durant-less Warriors"

THIS IS WHAT IT'S LIKE TO HAVE A COACH THAT IS ABLE TO RECOGNIZE DEFICIENCIES AND MAKE ADJUSTMENTS.

Meanwhile, Stotts is still running Dame to the ground with pick-and-rolls...

18. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

My point is the Blazers have never landed a star player, not because they haven't tried. They haven't ever landed one because none want to come to Portland to play, period. If I could post stats of how often a big market team has landed a star player compared to a small market team, the graph would be hugely in favor of big market teams, and everyone knows it. So crapping all over a small market team for it's lack of ability to make monster trades in the NBA is simply illogical.

No, Carmelo Anthony was just used as a point. I was big in favor of not landing him lol.

19. OneSport3

Stars don't want to come to Portland via free agency, that's why you have to do it via trade. Kawhi did not want to go to Toronto. Paul George made it clear that he was going to sign with the Lakers during his free agency. Yet both Toronto and OKC took the risk and bet on their culture to try to convince both to stay. It worked for OKC for George and remains to be seen with Kawhi.

tester551 likes this.
  20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

By all reports, Kawhi wasn’t thrilled to be traded to Toronto in the first place.

You missed my point entirely though. The point of the thread isn’t to trade for Kawhi, or necessarily a star. It’s to take risks and shake things up, despite success. The Raptors were the number one team in the east last year. They had the coach of the year. They had a star backcourt. They blew it all up because they wanted a ring. Meanwhile we are doubling down.

dviss1 likes this.