The Raptors should be an example to us of how to build a better team

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, May 25, 2019.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm happy to see the Raptors finally make the big dance...I like their team...the Bucks and Raps are probably my favorite eastern conf franchises and the Bucks have been there like the Blazers way....long, long ago

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

You guys keep saying that, but they still have to go through teams like Boston, Philly, and Milwaukee.

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Look at team USA and see how many members are from each conference...the west is stacked and it's not even close now that Lebron is gone..Butler and Leonard will probably be in the west next season as well. I think the talent pool is way deeper in the west...by a wide margin

Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    In my opinion, OKC is about as good as Boston maybe slightly worse. Denvers about = too Milwaukee and Philly is not put together like an actual basketball team, lots of talent but they don't fit and in a series vs just about any good team they have a lot of weaknesses that can be keyed on. Its just my opinion, I respect yours, but its kind of just speculation on both of our parts.

Im ok with the basic premise that the Blazers like Toronto should be open to and pursue a big trade to land a “superstar”, like AD is the one that comes up, no one but Dame should really be off the table.

Phatguysrule and hoopsjock like this.
  5. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Yeah, it would really suck to have to get matched up against a team like the Magic or the Nets in the 1st round.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  6. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Or Indy w/o Olidipo, or Detroit... I think theres a decent argument that top 4 in the east this year were much closer to the top 4 in the west, then years past, but I don't know, I think the Blazers would have at least 50/50 shots to take any of em...

7. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

Milwaukie was 40-12 against the east and 20-10 against the west, Boston was 35-17 against the east and 12-16 against the west, Philly was 31-21 against the east and 20-10 against the west. They would all be lower seeds then the Blazers if they played in the west and had to play the west teams more. If I count right only 4 East teams went over 500 against the west. 9 West teams were over 500 against the east.

8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Raptors are Portland East. I'm all aboard their bandwagon for the finals.

9. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Good data and it always amazes me when a "fan" of the team continuously discounts our teams accomplishments and praises other teams for doing the same and even less. We have several; that seem to fit that model.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  10. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

I'd personally rather hear criticism of the team and banter thereof than criticism of others flavor of fandom. If they weren't 'fans' they wouldn't be here wasting their time discussing all things Blazer's.

11. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Being critical of the team and constantly degrading the accomplishments is not the same thing.

Hoopguru and Wizard Mentor like this.
  12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I was thinking about the original basis for this thread and, assuming that Olshey was all in on this type of strategy, I was wondering who would be the Blazers' version of Kawhi Leonard this summer. So, the obvious choice would be Anthony Davis, and he's one guy that I could really get excited about making a run at. But let's be real and assume that he's either going to be a Laker, a Celtic, or is going to remain with the Pelicans. What other disgruntled superstar is out there that the Blazers could realistically make a move to acquire?

13. illmatic99

Neither Jimmy nor Blake are disgruntled. But I want us to pursue them. Davis would be unbelievable, but Neil isn't gonna give away the pieces needed to make that happen.

trailblazer18 likes this.
  14. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Those guys are definitely a tier down from the likes of Leonard, but they'd be worth considering. Blake has a long history of his body breaking down at the end of the season so I certainly wouldn't give up one of our core guys (Dame, CJ, and Nurk) for him. Might be a deal with some of our other assets if the Pistons are of a mind to cut costs. As far as Butler goes, I love his game, but definitely not his head. You know that the Sixers would want CJ in exchange for him. No dice as far as I'm concerned.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. Hey

Hey Active Member

Trade CJ, Collins, and our first rounder for Anthony Davis.

I don't think Boston gives up Tatum (too risky knowing that AD may not stay and they're already losing Kyrie in all likelihood). I'm willing to bet the Pelicans reject any Laker's offer out of spite.

Pelicans now have a core of CJ, Zion, Jrue, Collins, and possibly Randle. That honestly looks like a really solid team. If I was a Pelicans fan, I'd be ecstatic.

Blazers now have true balance. Teams will not be able to pressure Dame like in the past because he's got AD on the elbow. With a healthy Nurk, improving Meyers, resigned Hood, we have a real chance at going all the way. Even if AD leaves, it's worth it! But we also have a year to sell him on staying with awesome home court, amazing fans, Dame's culture setting, yearly contending. Why leave that to join a 36 year old LeBron? I'd roll the dice.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  16. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

FYI: Philly, by those numbers, had a better record against the west than the east

and the facts are that teams who play each other 3 or 4 times a year are more familiar with what the opponent runs. Good teams are going to take advantage of it. Also, those EC records you're highlighting come in part from the East having more teams to fatten the record against. The EC had 5 teams with less than 33 wins, the WC had one. In other words, the bottom dwellers of the WC were more capable of handing losses to EC playoff teams than the reverse

but more than anything else is we know that the regular season records don't mean shit once the playoffs start. Portland was 1-7 against OKC in the RS, and the one win came when Denver rested their starters. But Portland was 8-4 against those two teams in the playoffs

17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Really?? With a full compliment of players?? They should've had it easier IMHO. Their roster is stacked and IMO is much more talented than Milwaukee.

Try doing it without our 2nd best player, our backup (now starting) center has one arm and no water, our 6th man had a hyper-extended knee...

Wait... we did...

18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

If I were the Pelicans I would be angling for that NY pick.

Zion and RJ together? That's what the Pelicans want IMHO.

Wizard Mentor and oldmangrouch like this.
  19. illmatic99

Been reading some Raptors stuff about tickets and their fans are getting priced out for Finals games. They were apparently selling standing room only tickets for > $800, and it all sold out in less than 20 min. I'd venture a guess to say the pricing would be similar if the Finals were in Portland.

Would you guys be willing to drop over a grand to see the Blazers play a finals game in Moda?

dviss1 likes this.
  20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Nope. I'd spend the grand on hosting a finals party.

Hell, less than a grand.

UKRAINEFAN and Wizard Mentor like this.