The Ringer: Are We Sure Gronk Isn’t Right?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by e_blazer, Aug 10, 2018.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

The use of Plumlee was quite a bit different than how Nurk was playing when he was first traded here. That Plumlee action was off a high screen with him rolling down the middle of the floor and then passing off to the wing (passing away from the basket), and only occasionally to a backdoor cutter. I seem to recall Nurk getting entry passes in the high block and then either passing to a cutter in the middle of the floor (Mo, Crabbe) moving towards the basket, or dropping it to the weak side of the block (Vonleh) after the defense committed to Nurk - his passes resulted in open shots within 0-10 feet of the hoop.
    That Plumlee action is just about the only X/O coaching Stotts has done in his tenure here. It was a great use of Plumlee's limited skill set, and worked as a good release valve for the pressure Dame was getting. But it's a good thing we traded Plumlee because that play was already getting sniffed out by the rest of the league.

BonesJones and Wizard Mentor like this.
  2. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I once was blind, but now can see. BNM saved a wretch like me.

riverman and Boob-No-More like this.
  3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

He doesn't have the worst passers in the league though, and ball movement and player movement is a reflection of the coaching staff.

I feel like we're getting top the point that, if the team is flat out horrible at something, it's all due to the role players being incapable.

But the same people that follow this line of thinking also project the same roster to win 50 games each year. I don't understand it.