The Ringer: CJ for Aaron Gordon

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Jan 17, 2019.

?

CJ for Gordon

1. Yes

54.2%
  2. No

45.8%
  1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/17/18185948/cj-mccollum-aaron-gordon-nba-trade-who-says-no

This has been somewhat discussed in some of the trade threads but since it is a specific trade suggestion, thought it deserved it's own thread.

In summery, they suggest CJ/Leonard or Harkless for Gordon/Ross. The reasons why seem solid in the article but the many one is that CJ would flourish with being the man where Orlando needs a backcourt leader and it would take Gordon out of the way of Lottery picks Isaac and Bamba in the front court.

[​IMG]

Gordon excels in the PnR according to the article which would be a great fit with Dame. No on replaces CJ's shotmaking ability but in Ross you have a more athletic, bigger guard option and Gordon is actually out-shooting CJ from '3' this year.

Yes or No?

2. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of trading Meyers though, leaves us very thin at center. Collins is to foul prone and Biggie is not ready.

3. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Who would start at SG? Curry or Nik?

4. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

I'm of the same thought. I prefer CJ/Harkless who they seem to think would be better anyhow.

HailBlazers and BBert like this.
  5. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Ross would be great for us too

Chris Craig and TBpup like this.
  6. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Stotts would probably start Curry but instead of going small, put Gordon at the '3' and Layman at the '2'.

KingSpeed likes this.
  7. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I’d be cool with that

TBpup likes this.
  8. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I think it's important to decipher made up trades and actual rumors. This one is just a made up trade (thus why it has been discussed ad nauseam already in the other threads).

It's a big no from me. Gordon is super overrated and not good enough to warrant giving up CJ, let alone adding a 1st round pick too (and I say this as someone who is now pro trading CJ). He's one of those super athletes who basically wastes their talent by not putting in the work to be great and just gets by on his gifts. Ross would be okay, especially compared to his mediocre career so far, but do you trust that these 44 games are his true self and not the prior 7 seasons? He's another player with all the tools to be great who didn't work hard enough. I don't like adding two of those guys.

I guess I wouldn't hate if it was CJ and Leonard/Harkless for Gordon and Ross but definitely not having to add more from our side. I'd rather explore other trades than take on Gordon.

9. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Gordon is awful at the 3. Trading for him and playing him at the 3 would literally be the dumbest move ever.

10. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

I was really smart at work today so due for a dumbest ever move. :bgrin:

Wizard Mentor, BonesJones and RR7 like this.
  11. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Sorry, I wasn't calling you dumb. It's just Orlando has drafted like 47 guys that are SF/PF tweeners and then when they prove they are better at one position over another they draft someone for that position and then force the player they have to play the position they didn't play well at.

I guess I'm just sick of people thinking Aaron Gordon is actually good. He should be! In reality though people think he's better than he is due to his athleticism and what they think he can become. Sure, he could still develop into a better player but I wouldn't bet on a player who's shown little improvement and is actually regressing a bit in his 5th season to have a huge jump.

dviss1 and BonesJones like this.
  12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

I don't know how great he is but I think there are some things he does well and the fact that he is shooting better from '3' this season than CJ is a bonus.

13. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Really? I expect better from you TBpup. CJ is well below the league average so that doesn't mean anything. Gordon is shooting 35.2%. That is worse than Aminu this year. Even with how much you bash CJ I find it hard to believe you'd think that half of a season means more than both of their careers.

Even if there were things Gordon does well (there isn't really besides flashy dunks), he needs to play in an uptempo fast break offense and do you think we'd start playing that way if we had Gordon?

dviss1, Blazers Roy and BonesJones like this.
  14. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Your poll and initial post are misleading too because it doesn't include all of the trade.

dviss1 and HailBlazers like this.
  15. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

That's what the article is for. They postulate which pieces would be included. If I do every detail, what is the point of the article? They are the two major pieces. Of course there would be peripherals included.

16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

I wasn't saying Gordon was good...just better than CJ since they are the two main pieces being talk about. Did you have a long day at work? Or mayby that was me since my day started at 4:30. :cheers:

17. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    It's an interesting idea. I wish I followed Orlando's games more but they are so mediocre. Sometimes a switch in locales can be beneficial to a player's overall career arc though.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    TBpup likes this.
  18. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    With the way Layman is playing i'm more intrigued with keeping him at the 4 instead of bringing Gordon in mostly because I have no faith that our starting 2 guard wont be Evan Turner in this situation and if Turner becomes a starter I may just not watch anymore Blazer games.

HailBlazers and TBpup like this.
  19. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    All day that's all I've read about on any Blazer site is about how good Aaron Gordon is. He is not better than CJ. The idea of him is. I'm sorry but anyone who says otherwise is just hoping that he just needs out of Orlando and the problems aren't with him personally.

He doesn't shoot well. He's a terrible rebounder given his size and vertical leap. He has some passing ability but his ast% is less than Nurkic this year so lets not act like he's prime Nic Batum level or something. His stl% and blk% is poor. His defense is okay with some potential to be better.

I know this doesn't mean anything but if you look at the similarity scores on basketball reference for Gordon you get guys like Linas Kleiza, Gary Trent, Hakim Warrick, and Tom Gugliotta but he wowed in a dunk contest so everyone loses their shit thinking he can actually play basketball.

I'm really fired up about this. I don't even really know why. If it was just CJ and Leonard/Harkless for Gordon and Ross I could maybe consider it. There is no logical reason why it should take CJ even to get a guy like that and if it does I'd rather get a better player from another roster.

20. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

@hoopsjock I agree that many places are WAY over-hyping Gordon in a likely dunk-induced crazed manner. But in terms of just comparing the two of them and then how they might impact their new teams overall, I think they both might do better with a change of scenery.

Player......Pts...Rebs...Asts...FG......3pt
    CJ McC...20.6...3.7.....2.6... .456... .341
    Gordon.. .15.6...7.6.....3.3... .446... .352

I think CJ would excel in Orlando and I think Gordon would play better with Dame vs whatever PG of the month they have had in Orlando. Then you get into how rotations would change and the production of replacements, difference in defense etc.

One other thing that I like is Gordon is 4 years younger so still has room for improvement. Can they do better? Perhaps. But I think the Dame/CJ experiment should come to an end because they are both in their prime and it just doesn't seem like it will ever get better.