The SEC

Discussion in 'College Football' started by truebluefan, Apr 28, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Malcolm Mitchell injures ACL

Georgia's first touchdown of the season turned out to be costlier than anyone could have expected.

Bulldogs coach Mark Richt announced Sunday evening that his team's top receiver, Malcolm Mitchell, will miss the remainder of the season after injuring the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee while celebrating Todd Gurley's 75-yard touchdown run in the first quarter of Saturday night's 38-35 loss to Clemson.

2. truebluefan

Johnny Manziel taunts opponents

Johnny Manziel spent the summer under scrutiny for his actions off the field. His antics Saturday are sure to keep the spotlight on him.

After serving a half-game suspension for an "inadvertent" NCAA violation for signing autographs, Manziel returned to throw three touchdowns and helped No. 7 Texas A&M put away Rice 52-31.

But he also was in the face of Rice players for most of his time in the game, and he eventually drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after a touchdown throw in the fourth quarter. Manziel was talking to two Rice defenders and then pointed to the scoreboard when officials threw the flag.

That play proved to be his last of the game. Matt Joeckel replaced Manziel on A&M's final drive.

3. truebluefan

Will Muschamp rips into reporters

An angry coach Will Muschamp ripped two newspapers and a website for incorrectly identifying a Florida player as being suspended for the season opener.

The 10th-ranked Gators suspended five players for Saturday's game against Toledo, but not freshman defensive linemen Jay-nard Bostwick as the three media outlets reported.

Muschamp called out The Gainesville Sun, the Palm Beach Post and Gator Country for reporting that Bostwick was suspended. He dressed, but didn't play in the 24-6 victory.

"That was very irresponsible journalism," Muschamp said during a 2-minute, 15-second tirade. "You guys can write whatever you want to say about me. You can say I'm a bad football coach. You can say I'm a bad dad, I'm a bad husband, I'm a bad person. You really can say anything you want to say; that's your opinion. You can talk about our offense, our defense, our special teams. You can talk about our coaching staff. You can talk about our administration. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to that, and that's fair.

"But when you take a shot at a kid, and it's inaccurate and it's written inaccurately, I've got a problem."

The five players suspended were linebacker Antonio Morrison, cornerback Loucheiz Purifoy, defensive tackle Darious Cummings, receiver Latroy Pittman and offensive lineman Quinteze Williams.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...-rips-reports-jay-nard-bostwick-was-suspended

4. truebluefan

Jadeveon Clowney, No. 6 South Carolina cruise past UNC in opener

South Carolina All-American Jadeveon Clowney looked less than dominant against North Carolina, not that it mattered to him or the sixth-ranked Gamecocks.

Clowney shook off a stomach virus earlier in the week -- and some sluggish play during the game -- to help South Carolina's defense hold North Carolina to its lowest point total under coach Larry Fedora in a 27-10 victory to open the season Thursday night.

5. truebluefan

Alabama cruises as Christion Jones returns two for touchdowns

With everyone focused on a three-peat, Nick Saban reminded his Alabama players of someone who did it twice -- Michael Jordan.

If they're going to follow MJ's lead, they'll need to play with a lot more passion than they showed in the season opener.

Better get to it.

Next up, it's Johnny Football.

Christion Jones became the first Alabama player since at least the 1940s to have two returns for touchdowns, Vinnie Sunseri brought back an interception for another TD, and the top-ranked Crimson Tide overcame a rather dismal offensive performance to beat Virginia Tech 35-10 on Saturday night.

Read more http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=332430259

6. truebluefan

Johnny Manziel throws 3 TDs to lead A&M over Rice

Johnny Manziel's day began late because of the NCAA and ended early because of his mouth.

In between he looked like Johnny Football at his best.

After serving his first-half suspension, the Heisman Trophy winner threw three TD passes, scrambled for 19 yards -- and, well, acted up -- while No. 7 Texas A&M rolled over Rice, 52-31 , on Saturday.

7. truebluefan

Mack Brown's running, defense carry Florida past Toledo

Mack Brown had tears in eyes before the game and a smile on his face after.

In between, he ran for 112 yards and two touchdowns -- and vomited on the sideline.

Not a bad start for Brown or No. 10 Florida.

Brown's career day, Jeff Driskel's efficiency and a dominant defense carried the Gators to a 24-6 win over Toledo in the teams' season opener Saturday.

8. truebluefan

Second-half surge leads No. 12 LSU past No. 20 TCU

Walking off the podium after LSU's season-opening victory, coach Les Miles provided an appreciative nod to his new offensive coordinator.

"Way to go," Miles commented toward Cam Cameron's wife nearby.

The 12th-ranked Tigers' first game with Cameron calling the plays provided a promising start to the season in a 37-27 victory against No. 20 TCU on Saturday night.

9. truebluefan

Missouri surges past Murray State 58-14 in opener

James Franklin threw for 318 yards and three touchdowns before coming out early in the third quarter, helping Missouri take command after early struggles and whip Murray State 58-14 Saturday night in an opener that began in 98-degree heat.

10. truebluefan

Brandon Allen helps Arkansas open Bret Bielema era with win

Brandon Allen made sure his new head coach made a solid first impression at Arkansas.

Allen was 15-of-22 passing for 230 yards and three touchdowns as Arkansas opened the Bret Bielema era with a 34-14 win over Louisiana-Lafayette.

11. truebluefan

Tennessee rips Austin Peay 45-0 in Jones' debut

Rajion Neal rushed for 141 yards and Justin Worley threw three touchdown passes Saturday as Tennessee began Butch Jones' coaching tenure with a 45-0 rout of Austin Peay.

12. truebluefan

Auburn holds off Washington State in Gus Malzahn's debut

Tre Mason returned a kick 100 yards and Corey Grant scored on a 75-yard run to lead Auburn to a 31-24 victory over Washington State on Saturday night in Gus Malzahn's debut as the Tigers' coach.

13. truebluefan

Sumlin: Manziel didn't ignore me

Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin on Tuesday addressed the criticism Johnny Manziel received in the aftermath of the Aggies' 52-31 win over Rice on Saturday and shed more light on the events that happened immediately after the quarterback received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Sumlin attempted to clear up a misconception that Manziel "ignored" the head coach after Sumlin yelled at him following the 15-yard personal foul penalty, which was assessed after he threw a touchdown pass to Mike Evans, exchanged words with a Rice defensive player and pointed at the scoreboard.

"When he came off the field, basically I made two statements to him, neither one of which should he have responded to," Sumlin said. "They weren't questions. They were direct statements that I can't repeat right now. So what's amazing to me is the perception that he ignored me. The worst thing that could have happened was for him to reply, based on what I told him."

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9630954/johnny-manziel-ignore-me

14. truebluefan

Kenny Bell takes 'personal day'

Alabama coach Nick Saban said he gave wide receiver Kenny Bell a "personal day" from practice on Tuesday but expected him to miss only one day.

"Sometimes we have personal things to get ironed out, and today he had a day to do that," Saban said. "So there's really nothing else to talk about when it comes to that."

Saban, though, did elaborate on the situation later during his news conference.

"He came and we had a discussion," he explained. "There were some personal things he had to iron out and I think he talked to his family about it. I talked to his mom. And we talked again today.

"I want Kenny to be happy. I would love for him to be a part of the team if he can be happy doing that relative to any other personal responsibilities that he has."

A post on Bell's Twitter page Tuesday afternoon claimed "it's been a nice run but I'm hanging up my cleats," saying he wanted to focus on taking care of his kids.

Later, though, an update was posted, referring to quarterback AJ McCarron: "I'm back with the team!! Just needed time to myself for a day but I couldn't leave my boy @10AJMcCarron we ended this run together."

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...ama-crimson-tide-personal-day-says-nick-saban

15. truebluefan

Jordan Matthews: No concussion

Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews says he's just fine and never had any concussion symptoms.

The receiver said he vomited during last week's season opener because he had been hit in the stomach.

Cameras showed Matthews being ill twice on the field a play after being hit hard by Ole Miss safety Cody Prewitt, leading to questions that Matthews suffered a concussion. The senior receiver sat out a play before returning. He wound up matching his personal high with 10 catches for a career-best 178 yards despite being double-teamed all game.

Vanderbilt lost 39-35.

16. truebluefan

Curt Maggitt takes significant step

Tennessee linebacker Curt Maggitt is getting closer to returning from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

Maggitt worked out in full pads Tuesday and wasn't wearing a green non-contact jersey. Tennessee coach Butch Jones called it a "significant" step but added that he wouldn't decide on the junior's availability for Saturday's game with Western Kentucky until seeing "how he progresses throughout the course of the week."

17. truebluefan

Cameron Robinson commits to Bama

Nick Saban often talks about the process. On Wednesday, the nation's No. 1 offensive tackle and No. 3 overall prospect, Cameron Robinson (Monroe, La./West Monroe), ended his recruiting process with a commitment to Alabama.

18. truebluefan

Dalvin Tomlinson needs knee surgery

Alabama coach Nick Saban says defensive lineman Dalvin Tomlinson will have knee surgery.

Saban said Thursday that Tomlinson was injured in Wednesday's practice. He says he won't comment on the nature of the injury or a timetable for the player's return until the surgery is completed.

19. truebluefan

Terrence Magee adds to options

LSU coach Les Miles has refused to say if running back Jeremy Hill, who was suspended for the Tigers' opener after an offseason arrest for throwing a punch outside a bar, will return for Saturday night's home opener against UAB.

But the unexpected emergence of Terrence Magee has made it clear that LSU's running game can be productive even if Hill, the Tigers' leading rusher in 2012, is benched several games.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-say-rb-jeremy-hill-return-suspension-vs-uab

20. truebluefan

Aaron Murray, No. 11 Georgia top No. 6 S. Carolina in SEC East clash

Murray threw for 309 yards and four touchdowns, Georgia's beleaguered defense finally came up with a stop, and the 11th-ranked Bulldogs defeated No. 6 South Carolina 41-30 on Saturday for an early edge in the Southeastern Conference East.