The SEC

Discussion in 'College Football' started by truebluefan, Apr 28, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Johnny Manziel (4 TDs), No. 7 Aggies smoke Sam Houston St.

Next week's rematch with top-ranked Alabama.

The defense might be a different story.

Johnny Manziel threw for 403 yards and three touchdowns and ran for another score in less than three quarters to give Texas A&M to a 65-28 win over Sam Houston State on Saturday night.

2. truebluefan

Zach Mettenberger tosses 5 TDs as LSU cruises.

Apparently, new LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron is doing something right. Zach Mettenberger's single-game school record five touchdown passes against UAB attested to that.

Three of Mettenberger's scoring strikes went to Odell Beckham Jr., who also returned a missed field goal 100 yards for a score, and the ninth-ranked Tigers overwhelmed the Blazers 56-17 on Saturday night.

3. truebluefan

Dalvin Tomlinson out for season

Alabama defensive end Dalvin Tomlinson will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing knee surgery, coach Nick Saban said Monday.

4. truebluefan

QB Jeff Driskel has sprained knee

Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel is recovering from a sprained knee, but team officials say he will be ready for the Gators' Southeastern Conference opener.

Team officials say Driskel suffered a "slight sprain" during the second quarter of Saturday's 21-16 loss at Miami. The junior will keep weight off his leg during the team's bye week and should be ready to practice before the 18th-ranked Gators (1-1) host Tennessee (2-0) on Sept. 21.

5. truebluefan

Alabama all business for rematch

Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper insists this Texas A&M game is not about revenge.

Nick Saban said it's important to keep the approach businesslike and that the field is no place for trash talk. Quarterback AJ McCarron believes his friendship with Texas A&M counterpart Johnny Manziel is overblown.

The top-ranked Crimson Tide and No. 6 Aggies are finally getting together again Saturday night -- this time in College Station. Alabama opened game week trying to shoot down many of the storylines, but stopping Manziel would be easier than deflating this hype.

"Yeah, it's the only game we lost last year," Cooper said Monday. "To me, it's not a revenge thing because if we wanted to get revenge, we'd have to play that same team last year with the same team we had last year.

"It's really not a revenge thing. If you lose a fight with someone, you don't get revenge from fighting someone else."

Then again, Manziel was the big puncher last season in a game that might have put a reserve on the Heisman Trophy. Sure, the Tide got back up from the 29-24 knockdown and won a second straight national title.

It still seems like a game ripe for overwrought emotions and perhaps some heated smack talk. Saban says not from the Tide.

"It's never a part of our game," he said. "We tell our players, there's no circumstance where you need to talk to another player, and there's been very little of that with our team. Businesslike is the way we'd like to approach this game. It's going to be emotional, don't get me wrong. And I'm not trying to minimize the importance when I use the term businesslike.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...match-johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-not-revenge

6. truebluefan

Steve Spurrier: 'We hashed it out'

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier doesn't like worrying about his defense, but it couldn't be helped after what he saw at Georgia.

Spurrier said his team had a "bad coaching day" in a 41-30 loss to the Bulldogs and now is hoping to turn that around when No. 13 South Carolina (1-1, 0-1 SEC) takes on Vanderbilt (1-1, 0-1) on Saturday.

The coach didn't like his team's defense on third down or how the players were aligned. He also said some players on special teams didn't give the kind of effort the Gamecocks are used to the past two seasons.

And then there was the matter of linebacker coach Kirk Botkin getting into the face of defensive ends coach Deke Adams during a shouting match on the sidelines.

"We hashed it out. They know we're not going to have any more of that," Spurrier said Tuesday.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...veon-clowney-south-carolina-gamecocks-defense

7. truebluefan

D.J. Fluker, 4 others named in report

Five Southeastern Conference football players, including former Alabama All-American tackle D.J. Fluker, allegedly received impermissible benefits prior to completing their collegiate careers.

According to a Yahoo! Sports report, former Alabama defensive end Luther Davis acted as an intermediary between the players and multiple NFL agents and financial advisers. The report says Davis funneled money and benefits totaling $45,500 to Fluker, Tennessee starting defensive end Maurice Couch, former Volunteers quarterback Tyler Bray, and former Mississippi State players Fletcher Cox and Chad Bumphis.

The allegations would violate NCAA bylaw 12.3.1.2, which prohibits athletes from receiving extra benefits from prospective agents or marketing representatives. The violation could impact Fluker's eligibility and potentially the Alabama wins he participated in, including the 2012 Discover BCS National Championship.

read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...eived-extra-benefits-college-according-report

8. truebluefan

Vols' Maurice Couch: 'I'm sorry'

Tennessee defensive lineman Maurice Couch has apologized after being ruled ineligible for Saturday's game against No. 2 Oregon.

Couch wrote on his Twitter account Friday, "I want to apologize to everyone from my family, teammates n the Volnation. I'm sorry I let u guys down."

Although the account (@MoTrilla44) isn't verified, Tennessee athletic department spokesman Jason Yellin confirmed it belongs to Couch.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...l-maurice-couch-sends-apology-twitter-account

9. truebluefan

Photo shows Manziel signing

[​IMG]

A photo of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel signing for South Florida autograph broker Drew Tieman in early January has been obtained by ESPN.

It is the first visual representation of Manziel signing for Tieman. In the photo, which two sources have confirmed as legitimate, Manziel, in a long-sleeve maroon shirt, is standing over a covered pool table signing photos of his image while Tieman oversees the process.

The photo, according to sources, was taken in the Fort Lauderdale apartment in which Tieman was living at the time.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...hs-south-florida-autograph-broker-drew-tieman

10. truebluefan

No. 1 Alabama beats Johnny Manziel, No. 6 Texas A&M

Unable to stop Johnny Manziel, Alabama answered Texas A&M the only way it could: The top-ranked Crimson Tide just kept on scoring, hoping to have the ball last.

When AJ McCarron took a knee to end it, Alabama was finally safe. There was nothing more Manziel could do.

McCarron threw four touchdown passes, Vinnie Sunseri returned an interception 73 yards for a score -- sidestepping Johnny Football on the way to the end zone, too -- and Alabama paid back No. 6 Texas A&M with a 49-42 victory Saturday.

11. truebluefan

Zach Mettenberger, Jeremy Hill combine for 5 TDs in rout

Jeremy Hill burst across the line of scrimmage untouched, sprinted past pursuing defensive backs and galloped a career-long 58 yards for a score to quickly cap LSU's opening drive.

The play was a preview. Kent State was overmatched in its first trip to Death Valley as Hill had 117 yards and two touchdowns on 11 carries before the second quarter had ended, and the eighth-ranked Tigers cruised to a 45-13 victory on Saturday night.

12. truebluefan

Connor Shaw, Jadeveon Clowney power No. 13 South Carolina

Steve Spurrier won't hang his head after No. 13 South Carolina's 35-25 win over Vanderbilt, no matter how close the Gamecocks came to blowing a four-touchdown lead.

13. truebluefan

No. 25 Ole Miss unloads on struggling Texas

Mississippi found a running play that worked against Texas, and just like BYU a week earlier, kept running it again and again.

The Longhorns couldn't stop Jeff Scott from blistering them on the speed option to the outside and No. 25 Ole Miss rolled over reeling Texas 44-23 on Saturday night.

14. truebluefan

Coaches want targeting rules altered

Alabama coach Nick Saban and Texas coach Mack Brown said Monday they are not against the new targeting rules in college football, but they both want to see a change in the way the penalties are implemented.

Crimson Tide safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was called for targeting, assessed a 15-yard penalty and ejected from Saturday's game at Texas A&M. The ejection was overturned after officials reviewed the play and saw Clinton-Dix going for the ball and not a big hit to the head of the receiver, but the 15-yard penalty and first down remained, much to Saban's chagrin.

"Personally, on the rule itself, if you can review a play to say a guy should be ejected or not be ejected, to me, you should be able to review if it was a penalty or not a penalty," Saban said Monday. "That's not what the rule is. You asked me my opinion. I'm giving you my opinion."

By rule, a replay review of a targeting call can overturn only an ejection, but the 15-yard penalty stands. If a player is ejected in the second half of a game, he is suspended for the first half of his team's next game as well.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...crimson-tide-wants-change-targeting-penalties

15. truebluefan

Tennessee opens QB competition

Tennessee coach Butch Jones says he's opening up the Volunteers' quarterback competition.

Junior Justin Worley has started each of Tennessee's first three games and is atop the depth chart for Saturday's game at No. 19 Florida, but Jones said Monday that he would start whichever quarterback performs the best in practice. Tennessee's offense struggled last week in a 59-14 loss at No. 2 Oregon that represented the Vols' most lopsided varsity defeat since 1910.

16. truebluefan

T.J. Yeldon issues apology

Alabama's T.J. Yeldon chose not to speak with the media Monday, but the sophomore running back issued an apology for his unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Texas A&M.

Yeldon, who rushed for 149 yards and a touchdown in the top-ranked Crimson Tide's 49-42 win Saturday over the No. 6 Aggies in College Station, Texas, drew the ire of Alabama coach Nick Saban after his second-quarter score when he mocked outspoken A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel's "show me the money" gesture, capping it off with a double throat-slashing expression.

"I want to apologize to everyone for my selfish actions on Saturday," Yeldon said in the release. "That is not the way I want to represent myself, my family and our team.

"That is not the way we do things at Alabama. This is something that I will learn from, and I will use better judgment in the future."

Saban, who said earlier in the week that trash talk was "never a part of our game," said he was disappointed with Yeldon's actions.

"That's not us," Saban said during the telecast Saturday. "That's not our program. That's not what we do. We've never, ever tolerated and we've never ever had it."

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...-tj-yeldon-issues-apology-gesture-vs-texas-am

17. truebluefan

Vanderbilt dismisses Chris Boyd

Suspended Vanderbilt receiver Chris Boyd has been dismissed from the football team following his conditional guilty plea for his role in attempting to cover up the rape of an unconscious student.

Vanderbilt announced the decision Tuesday after athletic administrators and coach James Franklin reviewed information in the case from the Sept. 13 hearing where Boyd agreed to a plea deal lowering a felony to a misdemeanor.

18. truebluefan

Volunteers: 'This is Florida week'

Tennessee hasn't defeated Florida since 2004, so you can understand why first-year Vols coach Butch Jones wants to put the losing streak to rest.

"Our players understand the rivalry, what is at stake," Jones said Tuesday. "I think they understand what has gone on before them. The only thing we can control is our preparation and how we play on Saturday."

Florida has beaten Tennessee eight consecutive times, which represents the Gators' longest winning streak in the 42-game history of the series. The No. 19 Gators try to continue their recent mastery of this rivalry Saturday at The Swamp.

Read more http://espn.go.com/college-football...volunteers-seek-change-fortune-florida-gators

19. truebluefan

Jadeveon Clowney (foot) day to day

South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward says defensive ends Jadeveon Clowney and Chaz Sutton will be day to day because of foot injuries for the rest of the season, but neither is expected to miss games.

Clowney is dealing with bone spurs in his right foot, a continuing problem dating to high school. Sutton has had a foot injury since preseason camp.

20. truebluefan

Reports: T.J. Yeldon suspended

Alabama has suspended running back T.J. Yeldon for one quarter of Saturday's game against Colorado State, according to multiple reports.

Yeldon received an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Texas A&M last Saturday after making a "money" symbol with his fingers and giving a throat slash gesture.

Yeldon was mocking Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, who uses the money symbol -- by rubbing his thumbs and forefingers together -- after big plays.