The "Sharpe just did some crazy shit!" thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by mook, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

I think on any other planet Shaedon would be starting at SG next to Lillard next season. But here in Blazer Land, it's much easier to coach an effective offense with 3 guard lineups. Keeping Anfernee at SG and trying out Shaedon at the starting SF is already on the table. Then podcasters can blame Shaedon's bad defense as a reason why Blazers lose games.

2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I think if Joe is serious about getting better around Dame that all of the praise he's heaping on Ant and all of the talk about Ant being part of our core, is absolute bullshit. Using Ant's salary out going in trades is imperative if we want high impact players that complement Dame's game.

I think Dame and Shae will start in the back court together from game one next season. I could see two guys that aren't even on our team right now starting with Dame, Shae and Jeremi.

3. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Awesome find! :)

4. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

I can only hope Shae will start next to Dame.

People keep talking about Mikal, but I wonder what Cam Johnson will be getting. Would a sign-and-trade Johnson for Simons deal make sense for both teams straight across? No picks or anything.

BKN gets a cheap lead guard option that’s had a good balance between experience in the NBA and being young enough to have some potential. We get someone who just fills a need of size and doesn’t need the ball in his hands.

Dame/Shae/Grant/Johnson/Nurkic is more better or worse than this years starters imo. But we would have Thybulle, the 2023 lotto pick, Walker, and Watford coming off the bench with obvious need for a PG and C. #23 should be spent on either acquiring Lively or trading for a Brogdon/White type. That would fill another need.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    HoopsFanAZ and blazerkor like this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yes, it would make sense....that would be a great trade for Portland IMO, depending on what Johnson signed for

HoopsFanAZ likes this.
  6. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

I haven’t been paying attention too closely to the NBA since the regular season ended, so I have no idea on how to gauge Johnson’s value. Ideally, I feel like slightly higher than Duncan Robinson is making would make me comfortable. I don’t have an opinion on his defense since I haven’t been watching him, but with an obvious need for size and role-fit, the team will still be better even if he’s no better than Ant defensively.

7. wizenheimer

I've watched him several times: he isn't a lock down defender but he's OK, certainly much better than Ant. What he would be for Portland is a great fit compared to Ant. And unlike a lot of other Ant trades Johnson is actually a better shooter from distance

he's not a good rebounder so a Grant/Johnson pairing would be problematic on the boards

I'd trade Ant + the Knicks pick for Johnson

HoopsFanAZ likes this.
  8. blazerkor

In a sign and trade I don't think they get a first rounder along with a player like Ant... maybe a second rounder. If it was Ant for Johnson in a straight up trade then I could see a first being necessary.

That being said, I don't like Johnson and Jerami together at the forward spots. So I think there should be better use of Ant's salary just as a net neutral in a much bigger package for someone who actually makes a big difference. I don't think Johnson is the kind of difference maker Joe is looking for but I could obviously be dead wrong.

HoopsFanAZ likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

personally, I think Johnson is about the best Portland can hope for as a return for Ant. I have a relatively low opinion of Ant's value around the league. I could be wrong of course. Ant + a top-6 pick may be another matter entirely

now, it may be that Johnson is the wrong direction to go. I was surprised to see he's already 27 years old. He actually 6 months older than Bridges

blazerkor likes this.
  10. blazerkor

Oh I think that Johnson has more value than Ant, it's just that you don't get equal value when facilitating a sign and trade or at least that hasn't been the case in the past. Again though, I don't think that Johnson is the needle mover that we will be targeting. I think it will be more like Ant, Nurk, our top 7 pick and a couple of others for a proven all star talent.

11. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I haven't watched much of Cam. When he was in PHX, their fans didn't seem to think much of his on the ball defense, and that he was best as a small PF because of that inability. I don't love the pairing of him and Grant either. Too thin, too weak, not enough on the ball defense. He might fit the lineup overall better than Simons, but I don't think it's the move that necessarily makes us better. It would also hard cap us, and people still haven't stopped crying about being hard capped this past season.

CJ_is_Gone likes this.
  12. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

People really think Cam is better than Ant.

smh.

AmirIcon and SIeepwalker like this.
  13. wizenheimer

upload_2023-4-22_19-13-56.png

essentially better across the board except assist rate

I suppose who is better is debatable if you are inclined to favor Ant. I think Johnson would have higher value around the league because of length and positional fit

HoopsFanAZ, GrandpaBlaze and TBpup like this.
  14. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
  15. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Please don’t trade Shaedon

16. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

Cam Johnson hasn’t proven himself like Mikal Bridges. 4 years in, missed some games with minor injuries, and not an attention getting guy on the court. I like him. He is a volume 3 pt shooter and a good one as the 5th (or 4th) option on the Suns.

Ant really is a stud at 3 levels on O and just getting better. His D has improved some. His body is better. He’s working. Straight up for Johnson? A risk but mostly about whether Johnson moves the needle SOON. Bridges does. Love to get both … though I’m greedy.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  17. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I’ll be so upset if we trade Sharpe

18. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Not that it's a given that Sharpe will progress as we hope he will, but trading him could end up being a massive Jermaine O'neal part 2 x 100.

19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think it could be worse.

20. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Yeah if its part of a Giannis trade then sure go for it. But if its an average starter or even borderline allstar no I don't want Sharp in the deal.

Phatguysrule and blazerkor like this.