THE SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE THREAD

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by truebluefan, Jun 7, 2012.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Vols won't play Kentucky at home

Tennessee won't have a home game against Kentucky for the first time in over six decades.

Although the Southeastern Conference hasn't released its complete 2013-14 schedule, Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin confirmed Tuesday that the Volunteers would face Kentucky only once and that it would be at Rupp Arena. Tennessee's 247 Sports site earlier reported the news.

2. truebluefan

Chris Walker ineligible this semester

Highly touted Florida freshman Chris Walker told ESPN.com he will not be eligible to play for the Gators this semester but still plans to enroll and play for Billy Donovan's squad in December.

The 6-foot-11, 230-pound Walker, ranked 12th in the Class of 2013 by ESPN.com, said he is currently taking three online classes and is optimistic he will fulfill his academic requirements in time to be eligible at the semester break.

"Now I understand how serious high school is and that you can't take the work lightly," Walker told ESPN.com on Tuesday. "I didn't do as well and work as hard as I should have early in high school.

"It's a minor setback, and every day I'm working hard to get to Florida. My plan is to definitely be at Florida. I'm working every day to make sure I get to Gainesville."

Read more http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...gators-freshman-ineligible-play-fall-semester

3. truebluefan

Eli Carter cleared to play at Florida

Rutgers transfer Eli Carter has been cleared by the NCAA to play this season at Florida, it was announced Monday.

Carter is the latest player to receive a waiver from the NCAA after transferring out of Rutgers following the departure of coach Mike Rice -- who verbally and physically abused players at the school.

4. truebluefan

Banned Marshall Henderson practices

Mississippi coach Andy Kennedy says guard Marshall Henderson will miss games this season after being suspended from the program in July, though how many has not been determined.

Kennedy said on Tuesday that Henderson has been "100 percent compliant" with athletic department mandates and has been allowed to return to practice.

5. truebluefan

Willie Cauley-Stein injures hand

Kentucky says that sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein will miss 10-14 days with a minor right hand injury suffered during "basketball activity" on Friday.

Cauley-Stein played in 29 games last season with 14 starts, most coming after Nerlens Noel's season-ending left knee injury on Feb. 12. He finished the season averaging 8.3 points and 6.2 rebounds per game and made the Southeastern Conference's all-rookie team.

6. truebluefan

Gators reinstate Scottie Wilbekin

Florida will open practice with Scottie Wilbekin on the floor and Will Yeguete and Eli Carter on the mend.

Coach Billy Donovan partially reinstated Wilbekin on Wednesday, saying the senior point guard will rejoin teammates at their first practice Friday.

7. truebluefan

No. 4 recruit Ben Simmons picks LSU

LSU beat out Kentucky, Kansas and Duke to land one of the elite players in the Class of 2015 in Australian power forward Ben Simmons.

"I know a lot of people will be struck by me deciding to go to LSU, but that's where I felt most comfortable," Simmons told ESPN.com on Monday. "I feel I can progress a lot there, and I feel blessed to have offers from all those schools."

8. truebluefan

SEC chooses Nashville

Nashville will host the SEC men's basketball tournament nine times between 2015 and 2025, it was made official Tuesday.

Nashville's Bridgestone Arena will host the tournament in 2015-17, 2019-21 and 2023-25. ESPN previously reported in May that St. Louis and Tampa, Fla., would host an SEC tournament and it appears they will split the 2018 and 2022 tournaments.

Atlanta's Georgia Dome already had been awarded the 2014 tournament.

The deal also includes dates for three women's tournaments in 2018, 2022 and 2026.

"Our fans have made it clear to us they prefer a basketball arena, and so then it's a question of where," SEC commissioner Mike Slive said Tuesday. "And we've had good experience here, and it's easy for our fans. You can get to the arena. You can stay in a hotel. You can go eat. And you can go listen to music and you only have to walk. In some ways, it's a perfect storm here."

Read more http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ville-set-sec-men-tournament-home-sources-say

9. truebluefan

John Calipari trots out No. 1 class

Kentucky coach John Calipari stops just short of calling his latest talented group of freshmen the best ever because previous classes have featured top NBA draft picks and won an NCAA championship.

This class has yet to even play a game at Kentucky.

Calipari's eight-player freshman contingent includes McDonald's All Americans Dakari Johnson, twins Andrew and Aaron Harrison, James Young, Julius Randle and Marcus Lee. In-state players Dominique Hawkins and Derek Willis round out this latest crop.

Read more http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ucky-wildcats-introduce-no-1-recruiting-class

10. truebluefan

Marshall Henderson still suspended

Mississippi coach Andy Kennedy believes flamboyant star Marshall Henderson can get through the season incident-free once he returns from suspension.

"If I was a betting man -- not that I am -- but if I was a betting man, I would say that his lesson has been learned and he's looking forward to the opportunity to play in the SEC," Kennedy said Wednesday at Southeastern Conference media days.

He said it remains to be determined how many games the high-scoring guard will miss to start the season.

Kennedy says that's "a fluid situation," but that Henderson has so far done everything he's had to do to get back on the court.

"He's been tremendous in his approach and the way in which he's tried to help young guys," Kennedy said. "I've really found him to be more of a leader on the floor and take some responsibility not only for himself but for those around him.

"I've been pleased with the way he's responded."

Read more http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9835369/marshall-henderson-lesson-learned

11. truebluefan

Frank Haith suspended five games

Former Miami coach Frank Haith, who is now at Missouri, has been suspended five games for his role in the Nevin Shapiro scandal, the NCAA announced Tuesday.

12. truebluefan

Zach Hodskins commits to Florida

Zach Hodskins, who was born without the lower half of his left arm, committed to Florida on Saturday as a preferred walk-on.

13. truebluefan

Calipari: 'We are college basketball'

John Calipari served as the opening act for Kentucky's banner recruiting class, and the veteran coach knew exactly what to say.

Speaking at Big Blue Madness on Friday night, Calipari delighted the capacity crowd at Rupp Arena with a rousing talk more reminiscent of a campaign stop than a basketball practice.

"The competition will be fierce, the road will be difficult," he said. "Every team we play will be more experienced than us. But if we become one unit, play with one heartbeat and a love for each another, we will be unbreakable.

"With these players, these fans, and this coaching staff, we will build on the greatest tradition in the history of college basketball."

Read more http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ats-john-calipari-optimistic-big-blue-madness

14. truebluefan

Arkansas suspends Ky Madden

Arkansas coach Mike Anderson says junior Ky Madden will be suspended for two exhibition games and the season opener for a violation of team rules.

15. truebluefan

Julius Randle, No. 1 Kentucky rout UNC-Asheville

Randle scored 15 of his game-high 23 points in the second half to lead five Kentucky players in double figures and help the top-ranked Wildcats' highly touted freshman class debut successfully with an 89-57 season-opening rout of UNC-Asheville on Friday night.

16. truebluefan

No. 10 Gators win 23rd consecutive season opener

Florida coach Billy Donovan warned anyone who would listen in the preseason.

Now he has some proof.

Casey Prather scored a career-high 28 points, Michael Frazier II added 19 and No. 10 Florida held on the beat North Florida 77-69 in the season opener Friday.

17. truebluefan

NCAA: Tyrone Johnson can play

Villanova transfer Tyrone Johnson was granted a waiver by the NCAA to play immediately for South Carolina instead of waiting until next month.

18. truebluefan

Julius Randle scores 22 to lift Kentucky in laugher

Most impressive about Julius Randle's latest double-double was that the Kentucky freshman forward achieved it by halftime.

Yes, the top-ranked Wildcats had it that easy on Sunday against Northern Kentucky.

Randle had 22 points and 14 rebounds to lead a 93-63 blowout of the Norse.

Read more http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400499025

19. truebluefan

20. truebluefan

Marshall Henderson ready to play

After a tumultuous summer, the Marshall Henderson road show is returning for a second season.

Mississippi's 6-foot-2 senior guard will be back on the court for Saturday's road game against Coastal Carolina after being suspended for the season opener. The Rebels hope he can add some scoring punch while keeping his behavior in check.

Read more http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...erson-mississippi-rebels-returning-suspension