The stupid trade

Discussion in 'American League Central' started by Big Frame, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

http://www.examiner.com/x-1088-MLB-...esdays-threeteam-trade-The-Tigers-perspective

The Detroit Tigers were the main player in Tuesday’s three-team deal, sending center fielder Curtis Granderson to the Yankees and starter Edwin Jackson to the Diamondbacks. The price tag on the two 2009 All-Star players was starter Max Scherzer, reliever Daniel Schlereth, reliever Phil Coke, and center field prospect Austin Jackson.

I think the Tigers received an excellent return for what they gave up. Here’s a quick look at Detroit’s haul in this trade:

SP Max Scherzer: Scherzer has huge potential, and is likely to eventually become the best player involved in this trade. Though 9-15 for his career, he’s struck out 240 hitters in 226.1 innings of work. He had some issues with fatigue (4.74 ERA in the 2009 second half) and walks (3.3/9 for his career), but I expect both of those to improve. After all, he only had 164.1 minor league innings before reaching the majors.

RP Daniel Schlereth: Like Scherzer, Schlereth is another power pitcher, only he throws left handed. His 2009 major league debut was rocky, though he did manage to log 10.8 K/9 (along with 7.4 BB/9). Schlereth was a 2008 first round draft pick who tore through the minors in a brief 39.2 innings, and I expect him to be a solid contributor in the Tigers bullpen in the near future.

CF Austin Jackson: By being a Yankee prospect, Jackson is probably by definition a bit overrated. He does have good speed (24 steals in Triple A in 2009), and has shown an ability to hit for average (.300 in 2009) in the minor leagues. If his power arrives, he could produce similarly to Granderson for Detroit.

RP Phil Coke: Coke was a solid member of the 2009 Yankee bullpen, appearing in 72 games in relief. I have a hard time believing that the Tigers won’t at least entertain the idea of using Coke as a starting pitcher, as he’s logged 77 minor league starts.

Granderson’s strengths and weaknesses were outlined in my first analysis of this trade, so I won’t repeat myself. As for Jackson, it looks as if the Tigers sold very high on him. He posted excellent first half numbers (7-4, 2.52 ERA) and equally horrid second half numbers (6-5, 5.07 ERA). His track record prior to 2009 is poor as well, leading me to believe that his strong first half was more of a fluke than an indicator of future success.

No, the Tigers are not a better team today than they were yesterday. However, GM Dave Dombrowski was painted into a corner due to financial circumstances, and I think he managed to net a good return for what was given up. The Tigers now have four players who could all be solid contributors, and they have them for a few more years at reasonable prices.

2. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

This is Chauncy for AI, the baseball version. Its going to be hard to replace Grandy. Heart and soul of the Tigers.

3. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I liked the trade, as Yanks fan. I love what Granderson brings to the Yanks. He's got great speed and a terrific personality. He's also gonna smack 40 homers next year - he hit 25 of his 30 homers to right field last year, and we all know about right field at Yankee Stadium.

4. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    Yankees make me hate baseball, Granderson is one of my favs now he's on the ***s, fuck