Exclusive The ultimate Fans Ask the Questions, one of the Blazer founders, Harry Glickman!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jun 5, 2018.

1. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Does Harry feel "Superteams" will lead to the downfall of the league?

2. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Also please thank Harry for all he has done for the city .

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Is anyone going to play you in the new Judy Garland movie? Why was she the end of your entertainment, concert endeavors? Was it just the no show or were you just more passionate about sports?

4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I could google search but what books do you recommend for sports enthusiasts and have you published books about your experiences? Also...what's your favorite sports movie of all time maybe top 5 favorites

5. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Apropos absolutely nothing.......a few years back my wife and I were having lunch at Mother’s Bistro on a Sunday in the fall. It was after a Saturday when the Ducks had totally and spectacularly choked away a football game while the Beavers had pulled off a big win. We were sitting right next to Harry and his (very) lovely wife (anyone who has eaten at Mother’s knows just how close those tables are spaced). Harry’s wife was sitting to my left and Harry was across and catty corner to me. To put it mildly, Harry was not a happy camper and was grousing in depth about how poorly U of O had played, calling it a travesty and utterly unacceptable. His very patient wife just kept smiling and nodding and at one point turned to me and gave me a wink, as if to say “See what I live with?” Eventually Harry paused for a breath and seemed to realize that we had been listening the whole time (as it was completely unavoidable). I gave him a friendly smile and said (very nicely), “Go Beavs”. Totally cracked Mrs. Glickman up. For a second I honestly thought Harry was going to leap across the table at me but then he gave me a big smile and said, “Touché. Your guys played a great game.” We’ll get ‘em next week.” And then we both went about our meals. Anyway...........my Harry Glickman story. Even at my age I was honored to be in his presence........

SlyPokerDog and riverman like this.
  6. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I used to see him from time to time up at the VA hospital. Haven't seen him in a long time now. Hope he's okay 'cause he's and icon.

When I was much younger, I saw him at a restaurant near the VA hospital. I wonder if he's been going to that hospital for a long time.

Anyhow, I've always idolized him so since I learned he was a patient at the hospital, hence a Veteran, I revere him even more

riverman, Hoopguru and SlyPokerDog like this.
  7. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

Luke was traded away because of his cocaine problems. Hollins too. Sad to say the truth.

riverman likes this.
  8. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

He left the raincoat behind accidentally at the room where he had been told the price to enter the league had just gone up. He didn't have the financing as he couldn't reach one of his $$$ guys (Weinberg IIRC). When he realized he had left his raincoat, he returned to the room to retrieve it, and $$$ guy was on the line returning his call.
    Presto....Blazers formed and history begins.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  9. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

I've only just seen this thread today!!! UGH!!! Sly is it too late??

Harry was never the owner of the team. He was the promoter who organized all the pieces and got it going. He served as President for many years. I don't think he was ever the GM officially, though they had really small front offices back in the early days. Stu Inman was the early GM IIRC.

Questions: You promoted Football, Baseball, Boxing, and Basketball into Portland. What was your favorite sport?

Q: Tell us about the WORST TRADE EVER - Moses Malone for a 1st. Why? Why? Why?

Q: Why couldnt we find a way to keep him?

Q: Who did YOU want the team to draft in '84?

Thank you! Thank you for having such vision and passion for bringing Professional sport to little old Portland!!! I try to honor you and your legacy with my online name!! Sincerely, an old fan!!!

riverman likes this.
  10. LeeRC

LeeRC Member

I actually recall Glickman briefly answering the Malone trade in a Rip City magazine interview.

Essentially, the interview goes that either the GM or owner saw that Malone couldn't catch the ball in practice so he practically scoffed and said, "Why are we paying 'xyz dollars' to a guy who can't keep the ball in his hands?". Malone was traded shortly after and the rest was history.

That said, I wouldn't mind hearing more about it. My understanding was Portland couldn't afford to keep him at the time (probably being cheap) - which is a shame because Malone probably could've led Portland to more chips once Walton got injured (akin to what Tom Brady did for the Patriots).

11. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    We've waited since June 5--this interview had better be good!

12. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

This got pushed to the back burner after my grandson passed. One of the reasons I want Chris Craig added to staff so I can give the questions to the Blazers.

13. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Sorry about your grandson. By the way, you sure are old.

Chris Craig and SlyPokerDog like this.