Notice "The Undefeated"--NBA All-Time Top 50 UPDATED

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Oct 20, 2017.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Maybe, but Curry already has a stronger resume than Walton. 2 titles, 2 MVPs, has already played 50% more NBA minutes than Walton did. I think Curry's inclusion is absolutely fair. How many PG's accomplished more than he already has? Magic, Big-O, Cousy, Isaiah (maybe), and...?

GrandJury and dviss1 like this.
  2. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

If he went Brandon Roy and his career was over, I'd think to myself, "Wow, wonder what that career coulda been. Should have been one of the greats." But I think he needs 2-3 more years at the top before I'd include him.

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

No man. I don't mean "role player" as a slight at all. I hate KG, but I'm not hating. Role players are vital to championship success. KG, Green, Duncan in his later years - fantastic role players. KG was the franchise player in MIN, but in BOS he was the best role player in the league.

4. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You're hating because you called him a role player on a team where he was the unequivocal leader.

5. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I mean, I can't be totally objective about the guy. I can't. But I view Green as the leader of the Warriors, yet he's also a role player on the Warriors. Wes was the leader of our team a few years back, but he was also a role player.

I could also be blurring that entire Big 3 era together, rather than only focusing on the year they won the championship. I just skimmed through and KG did put up better numbers that first season, but over the years slid into more traditional role player stats.

For the record, here's BOS player stats for their championship year. (I also thought they won more than once, but they didn't. Further aiding my argument that KG isn't as good as people make him out to be!)

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 12.54.30 PM.png

6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It seems like Dviss is letting his feelings about Garnett the person affect his opinion of Garnett the player.

Personally, I think Ray Allen belongs because he is arguably the best shooter of all time. As much of a fan of Reggie Miller as I was in my youth, I don't think he belongs. He was an amazing clutch shooter, but I don't think he's 50 greatest material.

I personally wouldn't include Nash, Wade, or Pierce.

Nash is basically the basketball version of a system QB. He wasn't that great in Dallas, and it was D'Antoni's system that made him an MVP.

Wade has had a remarkable career, and I'm sure he'll end up in the hall, but was he any better than a lot of other shooting guards that have come through the league? What separates him from James Harden now, or Clyde Drexler 30 years ago? This strikes me as a flavor of the month kind of choice.

Pierce falls into basically the same boat with Wade. Very good player, put up exceptional numbers and will most likely end up in the hall, but why is he better than anyone currently on the list? Longevity maybe? The dude was consistently really good for 15 seasons. He didn't start to fall off until his final four seasons, which put him at 36, 37, 38, and 39 years old.

handiman likes this.
  7. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

TBpup likes this.
  8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Oh snap, I didn't know that BGD had El Pres's account info.

EL PRESIDENTE and JFizzleRaider like this.
  9. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

So, if I understand how this forum works, EL PRESIDENTE has PtdPlatypus on ignore?

PtldPlatypus and SlyPokerDog like this.
  10. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    They take Drexler off and give the reasons, then put Ray Allen on with far less production who was a complimentary player. Guaranteed if Allen had stayed on the west coast with the Sonics, he wouldn't have made the list. Of course they took off both the Northwest connections with their east coast, big city bias.

What a crock!

11. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

I do it with more swagger.

12. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's because I'm in total agreement with Dviss (even if he may not be in total agreement with me!), but I don't think so. My distaste - or hate, if you will - for KG came first from feeling he was overrated as a player, and later as hate for him as a person (on the court...I don't care about off-court personality issues unless they're related to on-court personality).
    I equate it to my opinion of Bosh - I thought Bosh was a chump as a franchise player in TOR and highly overrated (but he was always better than LA!). But when he moved to his natural position as 3rd wheel in MIA my opinion of him improved.

Really? I haven't looked at the stats, but I wouldn't necessarily put Allen over Miller. I think Ray probably had a better off-the-dribble game. And my impression is that Miller rarely had great support and did more than Ray when Ray didn't have great support. Admittedly my memory isn't great about who their teammates where throughout their careers (especially when comparing MIL Ray to Reggie).

I'll go back to my original comment about Reggie - because he played his entire career in IND, that boosts him above Ray IMO.

I'll agree with you on everything except Wade. There was a period where Wade was better than Kobe. Injuries kept him from sustaining that, but for a few years he was either the best or second best SG in the league and head-and-shoulders better than any current SG (who am I blanking on that's playing right now?).

Pierce is borderline IMO. Pierce is kinda like Clyde, though the edge might go to Clyde because it seemed like he was considered #2 in the NBA during those Finals runs we made. In retrospect I don't know that Clyde was ever #2, but it seemed like nationally there was a Jordan/Clyde thing that was kinda similar to Magic/Bird.

13. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Maravich averaged 44 PPG for his 3 seasons in college.

Those are Wilt kind of numbers. Has anyone come close to that since? I don't remember anyone, myself.

riverman likes this.