The Woods Experiment

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">

WASHINGTON -- When the experiment started a week ago, Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks hoped that Qyntel Woods would take to the backup point guard role as if he had done it from the time he first dribbled a basketball.

[Munched]Cheeks also was realistic enough to know that giving Woods significant minutes as Damon Stoudamire's backup might not be possible some nights.

Monday was one of them.

Cheeks played Woods for four minutes at the start of the second quarter and used Stoudamire for the game's other 44 as the Blazers defeated the Washington Wizards 94-83 at the MCI Center to open a three-game trip.

Stoudamire responded with 18 points and a season-high 11 assists, while Woods was left wondering if his lack of playing time was a one-game aberration or a sign of things to come.

Cheeks said he would have played Woods more Monday, but once he saw the up-the-court pressure that Wizards guards Juan Dixon, Brevin Knight and Steve Blake put on the ball, he decided the best place for Woods, a natural small forward, was on the bench. </div>
    http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonia...08282170910.xml

This is the kind of nonsense that makes us lose games, and might keep us out of the playoffs. Experiment when we have some slack to give, not now. I love Cheeks, but I am starting to see why he was given such a low grade on the Blazer's report card.

2. Anzix

Anzix JBB JustBBall Member

Cheeks is a very smart coach that is not given enough credit. I believe in his coaching skills and I think he wouldn?t do this if it was not important to the success of the blazers.

3. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

Now this is really strange and awkward, someone capable of scoring and making the other's shots, and then taking him out. Pure madness, that's like never using great support like Boykins or Gooden. This team really needs a new coach, someone who can bring some sense and some offense.

4. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

I have a different opinion...Right now, the Blazers need some sort of a spark...I haven't really seen woods play much yet to fairly assess his game...but from what they were saying about him when he was drafted, he's got a lot of upside...i say y not...

5. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

I see no problem with Cheeks giving Woods play time. I just have a problem with someone who is in a sf body and sf mindset playing pg. I would rather see DA play pg than Woods.