Notice This feels like it's one of those moments

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, May 21, 2023.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

For me, it is more like the CP3 year. Both Oden (over Durant) and Bowie (over Jordan) the Blazers were the ones making the decision. In this case, Charlotte is making the decision.

On another note, I watch "Air" last night. I had to laugh when Sonny Vacarro talked with the guy at the convenience store twice about the Bowie-Jordan decision. It was dead on. Most people will tell you they all wanted Jordan, and most of them are full of shit.

2. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

don't forget about Nassir at C.
    Yes, there were a few 4G lineups with 6'5" Little at Center. Billups experimented with ultra guard spread offense after Payton was activated. Nurk was out, Eubanks and Grant needed a break, and the Trendon & Jabari combo had hit unusable stinkiness.

The end result after 2 minutes of tiny ball ?

Dunks, layups, offensive rebounds for the opposing team. Blazers would hit about 1-3 three's, get blocked a few times, then Billups would call timeout and put Watford and Grant back in the rotation.

3. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I give you one, but that scenario is pretty radical for the Blazers:

Blazers trade Dame to Houston, the Rockets sign Harden.

Blazers get:
    Houston #4 in 2023

Brooklyn 1st unprotected in 2024

The higher 1st from Brooklyn or OKC in 2025

Brooklyn 1st unprotected in 2026

The higher 1st from Houston or Brooklyn in 2027

and to match salary, the Rockets won't have to trade a big contract to Portland, because they have over 70 million cap space this summer. So you may ask why would the Rockets do that? If it's true that Harden goes back there, and you pair him with Dame and their young guys, they might be dumb enough to think that that team could win a Championship, if their owner has no patience, something like that could maybe happen when teams decides that they want to compete now.

And then the Blazers could trade Simons for Orlando 11th Pick, that would be a monster haul to set up for a new era

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Correct. One of the many unknowns and why I'm uncomfortable saying to not trade the pick or to trade the pick.

5. Pinwheel1

Yeah that is pretty good. But after that trade to absorb Dame's contract, would they have enough to sign Harden and his new 200 million contract?
    It could happen but I don't think Houston would do it.

6. Labinot41

or imagine Orlando is really high on Simons and would give us #6 for him, in that scenario the Blazers could have Scoot/Miller at 3, one of the Thompsons at 4 and Walker at 6.

Scoot/Miller
    Sharpe
    Walker
    Thompson

Does that sound nice? Instead of fighting for a Playin spot every year?

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  7. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

We're dealing in a hypothetical world where there are many variables we do not know.

We do not know if a traded players skillset will be improved or diminished by being traded to Portland. We do not know if the player drafted at #3 will be amazing or be a bust. We do not know if the player drafted at #3 would want to stay in Portland into their prime. We do not know how the other moves made will intice or detract from other players being on the roster.

Of the options I've seen presented, none of them are low risk. Going young and doing a total rebuild appears to have the highest upside and lowest downside because we're talking about a lot more players with minimal track record vs proven players with a track record, that still has variables as they age, fit with different players, etc.

I believe windows are going to open and close much faster with the new CBA, but that's speculation on my part as well. I think 6-8 year plans are going to be incredibly hard to execute.

And yes, there is certainly a scenario where Siakam has move value to the franchise than Scoot. Do I think it's probable? No. But I can't dismiss any draft pick as being a possible failure. Scoot/Miller included.

8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

That team would not be in the play-in. Or the payoffs.

Potential would be super high. Odds of them all developing and being able to retain them into their 2nd contract while still maintaining the cap flexibility to grow around them would be very difficult.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  9. Labinot41

Thats what i said, "instead of fighting for a Playin spot every year" with the current Team.

10. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Well give me an example where we get someone with two middle names and green eyes?

Both hypotheticals are as useful as measuring Dame trades. Blazers would need a combo of young players and or picks that gave them a good return. Plenty of teams have those assets. It doesn't have to be such an exact checklist. It could be all picks, all young players, or a combo.

11. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

This will be a simple draft I think

Step 1. Draft Scoot or Miller, whoever is there.

Step 2. See what other teams wanna give up for Scoot or Miller. If you like the best offer, make the trade. Otherwise, keep the player.

12. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Not how it works

Tince likes this.
  13. Pinwheel1

That works as well. But I was responding to a post that thought we could get back as good of a haul as Utah did. It does not have to be exactly like theirs, just that it needs to be as good.

14. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Dame is older, makes more money, and frankly will have a very limited list of teams he'd be willing to "accept" a trade to. He also plays in one of the deepest current positions in the NBA which devalues him as a player.

So looking at winning teams that need a PG...

Boston?
    Phoenix?
    Philly?
    Lakers?
    Brooklyn?

Now who has the assets to actually make that trade?

15. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I'm open to trading the pick and/or Dame and/or whoever... whats coming back is the relevant question

STOMP

Tince likes this.
  16. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Amen!

17. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Why is Brooklyn in there. They weren't close. And none of the others have anything ,they're willing to give up, that's worth trading a generational talent for. They want you to accept a lump of coal , and like it, in return. That's the Jerry West always operated.

18. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Nah. I don’t really want Amen. Have you seen his shot? Reminds me of Aminu only he doesn’t make them.

Tince and tykendo like this.
  19. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    I agree, we are at a crossroads, and I hope Cronin swings big. Go big or go home!

I remember when Geoff Petrie was with the Kings. He traded Mitch Richmond for a disgruntled Chris Webber, signed Vlade, and drafted Jason Williams - all in one summer. Totally reset the course of the franchise. That's what I want to see!

20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

When did they get Peja? He was around that time too I thought.

Stevenson likes this.