This Organization Needs to Change Their Mindset

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Aug 30, 2020.

1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I read your entire statement. I have many of the same feelings. I also don't like being told that i'm not a true fan because i voice them.
    Probably your best statement IMHO was your last-
    I think there is some truth to the Killer mentality. Stotts does not have that. He does things good but not great most of the time and never seems to be able to instill a killer mindset. I know you would like to see more. We have been on opposite sides of this at times in the past but it's time to get some NASTY on this team. Not "JailBlazers" but some "True Grit" would not hurt at all.
    There is some truth to what happened this year. I would have liked to see where they went with Collins, Nurk and Hood all year. I also think they would have made much different moves if they didn't know Nurk was out for the season pretty much.
    This year ended up a patched together fight right to the very end.
    Maybe it's best for us to not use this year in the discussion because of the obvious built in excuses.

I'm with ya on this Bones. They need that edge. Mathews had it. I actually think Lillard has it. I also think they have found a guy in Trent that has it and Collins might? Not sure about CJ because he can show it? Players like Harkless, Aminu, Batum, Aldridge, Meyers Leonard, did not have it.
    There are players that absolutely lick their chops when they see Portland coming up on the schedule. Been that way for going on 20 years aside from maybe Pryzbilla and Blake with some Andre Miller in there.
    I don't have any answers here..... I just know i feel ya on this.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    BonesJones and Buffalo Custard like this.
  2. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Decisions out of our control? If you mean the fans, that is obviously true. That is true of every opinion of every fan. In that case, why are you here? Why should fans discuss anything about the league?

If you are talking about the organization, sorry, but your comment makes no sense. Other teams make trades, hire and fire coaches, sign free agents, etc. Why would other teams have control over their own destiny while the Blazers don't?

3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I would really like to see this as well as a true Big Man coach.

4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I’m talking purely from a fan basis. The Blazers can, and I’m sure do, do internal evaluations of the organization and how to meet it’s many goals. We have zero input on that as fans, yet every year people around here advance the same types of ideas about changes they feel absolutely have to be made. I have no problem with those ideas and I think they can be fun to discuss. What’s a Blazers forum for, after all, if not that? I just think that a bit of humility about the things we don’t know might be a good thing. In the overall scheme of things, our thoughts about what the Blazers should do have about the same impact as a fart in a hurricane. Not really worth getting too worked up about.

5. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

I like Dame's attitude. Fuck super teams, let's beat em. Problem is injuries are a real excuse. Warriors lost last year cuz Durant and Klay went down. Cavs lost in 2015 Kyrie and Love went down. Lakers lost in 1989 after sweeping the first three rounds because they got injured in the final round. Now, real depth can help you survive injuries and we 100% did NOT have real depth this year. That is something Neil will have to improve on as Mario and Anthony Tolliver were not the answer. The trade for Ariza was inspired and then, unfortunately, he opted out of playing. Instead of changing to win, I think it's more exciting and impressive to win with what we have at the core. You want AD and LeBron traded to us for Dame and CJ for a title run? Or would you prefer to see Dame and CJ learn from past failures and win it themselves? I'm sure Raptors are thankful for their championship last year but they lost their best player after one year. I'm not convinced the Raptors would not have won without the Kawhi trade. Without LeBron in the East, I think the Raptors still would've won the title with DeRozen but I guess we'll never know.

e_blazer and riverman like this.
  6. royo

royo Well-Known Member

It may be Lillard's mental about superteams, but he and CJ wanted Melo long time ago and I believe if some superstar was there to take, Lillard wouldn't mind. This aside.

I understand that Por is small market and Blazers do as good as they can for that reason. Therefore we should be happy with what we have. So, we know, that we gonna be bit above average team forever. In this case why not develop young players and have some fun on the court? What's the point of playing Lillard to the ground if we happy anyways?

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Dame never said a damn word about superteams. All he said was that he didn't want to leave Portland and build here.

8. royo

royo Well-Known Member

Takes about 24s to find him talkin bout super teams.

TBpup likes this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant

I think people are taking control because there’s no greater time to do it than now,” says Lillard. “And I don’t have a problem with that, but the way I see stuff is, like, I don’t prefer to go that route. Just like they’re choosing to do this stuff for their career, I’m choosing to do what I want for mine, too.”

Backcourt mate C.J. McCollum, who also signed an extension with the Blazers this summer and is putting down roots around Portland, has shown a similar commitment to Lillard’s.

“To leave, what did I invest all this time for just to leave, you know?” he says. “If I go play with three other stars, I don’t think that many people would doubt that I could win it. We would win it, but what is the challenge or the fun in that?”

Lillard knows the Blazers’ history and is adamant that he wants to be different.

“I wanna be the one, the star that wants to be here,” says Lillard. “I wanna be the one that embodies all of those things and then be a part of the rise from ‘we haven’t won since ’77, and now we won, and Dame’s everything to our city.’”

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/dami...-challenge-or-the-fun-in-joining-a-superteam/

kjironman1 and lawai'a like this.