This team simply wasn't built for a long playoff run

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, May 8, 2014.

1. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    If this team hasn't learned to draft better, play defense or sign some decent free agents, it has no future either.... just saying.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

What team? The Blazers? The team that completely turned itself around in a matter of a couple seasons? I think we're doing fine.

3. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

They played like the better team for most of the series

They literally choked that series away with bad offensive rebounding in game 1 (Aldridge's miracle tip that sent it to OT), Parsons leaving Lillard wide open game 6....

And people don't have to like it, but the refs call in game 1 did help Portland win that game

The Rockets held multiple 10pt leads in the 4th

I think they were slightly better than the Blazers. Blazers just got the upset because the rockets couldn't close.

Next year they could really separate from the Blazers. Harden/Howard is a handful.

4. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

The buck stops with Olshey. He has put together a shallow, unbalanced team that lives and dies on the offensive excecution of the starting 5.

It was a good season - better than I ever would have predicted - but this is the high water mark for this roster. I just don't see how this roster gets much better...and the situation with Mo has "no win" written all over it.

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Well, to be fair, he inherited one of the worst benches in the history of the league. He did a pretty good job of turning it around quickly by adding bargain bin players like Robinson, Mo, and Dorell, but they were never expected to carry us deep into the playoffs. They were meant to keep Aldridge happy. I think he did a pretty damn good job last summer with very little to work with, and I'm looking forward to this summer to see what he can do next.

6. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Agreed. The optimistic portion of this is that we're early. We're overachieving. We'll get there, and I hope Neil can do some good things this summer.

We may or may not win another game (I want one, at least, but it'll be tough), but we've done good things this year, and it has been a good run.

7. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

This team reminds me so much of where the Seahawks were last year. The year before they won the Super Bowl. However I think the Seahawks were a lil more competitive in the Second round. But the team right now is in a very similar situation. With a nice offseason, similar to the one the Seahawks had last offseason. They can make a run for a title next year.

8. OneLifeToLive

Oh you watch. Mr Allen and Olshey have a plan.

9. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

I guess now is a good time to remind ourselves that the Blazers were 21-22 vs teams .500 or better this year

This team still has a lot of moves to make. IMO the starting 5 can't stay the same.

10. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

Goonies never say die!

Lets win Saturday.

11. sol12

sol12 Member

Can't go from a lottery team to WCF the following year (though I suppose it's happened a few times but still quite rare). Getting out of the first round this year after 14 years(!) has been a success.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  12. OneLifeToLive

As much as I like Wes and I'm against moving him. I think you have to upgrade that position. If not center.

13. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I don't like having this discussion in the middle of a playoff series. I'm not sure what to make of Stotts as the coach to carry things forward, but he's got the reins for at least two more games. It's hardly his fault that he has no seasoned players on the bench. Olshey could have made a trade or two prior to the draft but decided to ride with what we have. That may be the smart thing long term, but it's sticking us in the backside right now.

I'll tell you who I think would be the guy who could push this team to another level: Jerry Sloan. Yeah, he's ancient and I don't know if he wants to coach again, but there's never been a guy who was better at getting his team to play defense. And I think that LMA and Lillard could be the second coming of Malone and Stockton if they were coached to play the pick and roll the way those Jazz teams of the '90s did.

14. OneLifeToLive

You all have to remember. Olshey made something out of what seemed to be nothing. What makes you think he can't again?

15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Well, he had money to spend last summer. This year, he only has the MLE and he'll have to give most of that to Mo or look for another PG (which I am heartily in favor of), but either way there won't be a whole lot of money to throw at free agents. Maybe he can pull off a consolidation trade.

16. ripcityboy

self employed
    To get some decent players this summer we would need to have other players take some pay cuts. I don't see that happening. Olshey has done what he can. This is a good first round playoff team. It will continue to be that.

17. OneLifeToLive

One similar to the one Whitsitt pulled off in 99 in the 6 for one.

That's what I'm thinking. DWade anyone? After Lebron and Bosh leave. Kobe?

18. ripcityboy

self employed
    So no money and no draft picks, hmmm. Anybody thought about sexual favors.....

19. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    This series isn't over. If we can take care of home court like they did against us.. The pressure will be on them. The 2nd chance Bullshit has to stop now though.

20. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Still heart broken we beat the Rockets I see.

Get over it.