Thomas takes Giant step on comeback trail

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by truebluefan, Aug 13, 2013.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

On the day safety Antrel Rolle was carted off the Giants’ practice field with a sprained right ankle cornerback Terrell Thomas took another step in his attempted comeback.

Thomas after a long wait got the green light to increase his workload. For the first time in training camp he got some snaps on defense in the team periods. It represents another positive development for Thomas who is attempting to come back from two reconstructive ACL surgeries to his right knee in the past year.

“He seemed to do OK with [the increased workload] too’’ coach Tom Coughlin said. “So hopefully that’ll give him some confidence he’ll take some more. It’s time for all these guys that have been in this other category to get moving.’’

On one play Thomas lined up in the slot covering Victor Cruz and appeared to handle the assignment without any issue. Thomas began camp on the physically unable to perform list because of a strained hamstring and the Giants are being cautious with him given that he re-tore his ACL last summer possibly because he was too aggressive with his return to the field.

* Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride on David Carr and Curtis Painter battling for the backup quarterback job: “I think there’s no question it’s a legitimate competition.’’

* Cruz said his main point of emphasis this summer is better concentration when the ball is coming his way.

“I think even out here on the practice field I’ve been training myself to look the ball all the way in whether I’m in traffic or getting to the ball late or see it late’’ Cruz said. “I’m just looking it all the way into my hands and then making the move later. I think a lot of my drops were me trying to make a move before I actually caught the football. Now I just want to focus on catching the ball first looking it all the way in and then taking it from there.’’

- See more at: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/thomas_takes_giant_step_on_comeback_inlaQFBNdmJVXQzSmSqQOK

2. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

Good news about Thomas, however, I'm not holding my breath...

3. dumpstralmannow

dumpstralmannow Active Member

The more you injure the same ACL, the more likely it is you will injure it again. That being said, he would be a huge addition to the secondary. Especially if Webster is an incompetent moron again.