Thoughts on Dante Exum

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by cmeese47, Jun 4, 2014.

1. cmeese47

cmeese47 Well-Known Member

I realize a lot of you have not had a chance to watch this kid play but I was able to track down a few games from my wife's brother who lives in New Zealand. There are also a few full games on YouTube and a ton of highlight videos. After watching a few of these games one thing immediately jumped out at me.

This kid reminds me a lot of Brandon Roy.
    -He handles the ball well with either hand
    -He has a great first step
    -He has a great hesitation move
    -Solid step back jumper
    -Loves to get into the paint and draw contact
    -Has decent range but without work 35% from three seems about his max.
    -He is a good passer and is capable of running the point or playing SG.

Roy was a better finisher as he was adept with either hand but unlike Roy, Exum can thrive without the ball. Now to be fair Roy never got the chance to play with an offensive system like Stotts. He was asked to run pick and roll, iso or be a spot up shooter.

-Both players measured at 6'6"
    -Roy a bit heavier as a rookie at 207 but Exum is younger than Roy was and showed he is capable of adding muscle, which he did this year coming in at 196.
    -Exum is quicker and has a longer wingspan than Roy did but is vertical is a full 6 inches shorter than Roy so don't expect too many highlight dunks.

-Roy had decent defensive technique but was too often a one way player due to the amount of energy he had to exert on offense.
    -Exum also has a solid defensive framework, however, his issue will be how quickly he can adapt to the differences in skill level from global U-19 ball to the NBA.
    -His quick feet, and long wingspan should help him in this regard but his defense will likely take some time.

Now what would you give up to have a healthy Roy back under a rookie contract?

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Manu Ginobli potential. He already has a nice mix of scoring/passing to his game.

3. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    He has Russel Westbrook explosiveness. He gets the ball on the 3-point line and immediately he's at the rim. Would love to have him with Lillard and Nic.

4. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    He won't slip past Orlando so you're going to have to make a deal with Orlando or trade over them.

Philly is a real possibility for him as well.

5. cmeese47

It certainly seems like Cleveland is the only real option available to us if he is someone we are targeting. The question then becomes what can we get for LA. Cleveland will have enough cap room to absorb LA's contract so they won't need to include matching salaries.

If we could score Tristan Thompson and the number 1 pick that would be pretty decent start. Thompson while not at LA's level would be a serviceable PF and with him and the #1 pick salary we would manage to save around 6 million in cap space. I believe this team with the addition of Exum and Thompson could make the playoffs next season. Especially if the team could parlay the additional 6 million in savings into additional bench help like Spencer Hawes.

6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I watched a few highlights and I thought the same thing. He reminded me of Roy immediately.

7. cmeese47

Another intriguing thought would be be a 4 team trade.

Portland trades Lamarcus Aldridge, Meyers Leonar, and CJ McCollum to Cleveland
    Portland trades Nicolas Batum and a future first round pick to Minnesota
    Portland trades Robin Lopez, Dorrelle Wright and a future 1st round pick to Chicago
    Minnesota trades Kevin Love and Cory Brewer to Chicago
    Cleveland trades the #1 pick to Portland
    Cleveland trades Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters to Minnesota
    Chicago trades Jimmy Butler and Joakim Noah to Portland
    Chicago trades the rights to Mirotic and Charlotte's future pick to Cleveland
    Chicago trades a future first round pick to Minnesota

Chicago gets Cory Brewer, Kevin Love, Dorelle Wright, Robin Lopez and Blazers future #1 pick
    Portland gets 2014 #1 overall pick, Joakim Noah and Jimmy Butler
    Cleveland gets Lamarcus Aldridge, the Rights to Nikola Mirotic, Meyers Leonard, CJ McCollum and a future first round pick
    Minnesota gets Nicolas Batum, Dion Waiters, Tristan Thompson, and two future first round picks

That would trade would be amazing for Portland as they would immediately get a defensive presence with the arrival of Butler and Noah.

However, we would certainly have a gap to fill at PF. The good news is that we would have cleared around 14 million in cap space. Which combined with other savings would give us around 22 million to work with this summer. Greg Monroe or Zach Randolph are both available and could be had. Portland could also target someone like Luol Deng with that money. Patty Mills, Anthony Morrow and Chris Anderson would be a nice package to finish off the summer.

Lillard
    Matthews
    Deng
    Monroe
    Noah

Butler
    Mills
    Exum
    Robinson
    Anderson

With Morrow and Freeland

That is a solid 12 man roster. It is a complicated deal and would leave some holes to fill but I think we can explore trades for LA and still have a chance at the playoffs next season.

8. Blazer4ever

Agricolture
    Roy was great at taking the ball inside but he did it almost in slow-motion, Exum gets to the basket in the blink of an eye.

9. cmeese47

Roy was incredibly fluid with the ball and once his man got out of position he could just go right by. Exum is not that patient yet but with his speed he might not have to be.

10. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Exum's first step reminds me of Roses. Ultra quick where it almost doesn't matter if the guy guarding him knows its going to happen or not.
    Its a pipe dream though, we aren't getting Exum because I don't think Allen would willingly trade LA and Batum doesn't have the kind of value a team in the top 4 would want.

11. Natebishop3

You would want to bring Exum off the bench?

12. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Brandon Roy's skill, with Westbrook's explosion, Ginobili's passing, and Rose's first step.

Boy, you'd think a guy with that kind of talent and ability would be the best player in the league. Come on, guys

13. Blazer4ever

Agricolture
    Not as skilled as Brandon, didn't see amazing passes but he's gonna be a great player.

14. Blazer4ever

Agricolture
    Has Rose's first step, Westbrook's explosiveness and is a very good finisher at the rim.

15. cmeese47

He could serve as a 6th man or we could deal Matthews expiring contract. The biggest thing is though the kid is 19 I do not want to put too much pressure on him forcing him to start. He certainly could earn a starting spot with his play or he could learn from Matthews this season and step up next year to replace him.

16. cmeese47

He may have Rose's first step but his game around the rim is a lot like Roy, layups, finger rolls and the occasional dunk. Whereas guys like Westbrook and Rose to a lesser degree like to finish over you or through you.

17. Natebishop3

Honestly, in your scenario, I would rather just acquire Love.

Dame
    Wes
    Wiggins
    Love
    Lopez

18. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

It's deja vu! Do the Blazers get left-handed shooting Thompson, or right-handed shooting Thompson?

19. Natebishop3

Both handed shooting Thompson!

20. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Explosiveness of Westbrook
    Skill of Roy
    First step of Rose
    Passing of Ginobli

Sounds like a sure-fire MVP. Why would any bad team trade that player for LMA and his expiring contract?