OT Three Georgians Chase Down Unarmed Black Man, Shoot And Kill Him

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Chris Craig, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-arrests-black-man-shot-210655414.html

Relatives of a black man gunned down while jogging in southeast Georgia by white men who chased him believing he was a burglar said Thursday they're discouraged by the lack of charges in the case.

Ahmaud Arbery's relatives say the 25-year-old was a victim of "racial violence."

Arbery was killed in Brunswick, a coastal city about midway between Savannah and Jacksonville, Fla., on Feb. 23 as he was running through the quiet neighborhood of Satilla Shores.

The two men who chased down Arbery, identified by police as Brunswick resident Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son Travis McMichael, 34, have not been charged and the investigation is ongoing.

"I'm feeling very discouraged at this point," the victim's mother Wanda Cooper told reporters. "The tragedy happened back in February ... and there still has not been an arrest."

The case has been referred to District Attorney Thomas Durden, based in Hinesville 70 miles away due to concerns over a potential conflict of interest. Gregory McMichael is a retired investigator for the local prosecutor, in Brunswick.

The case was briefly in the hands of DA George Barnhill, based in Waycross, but he recused himself because his son works for prosecutors in Brunswick.

But in a memo from Barnhill to police, the DA said he believes Gregory and Travis McMichael should not be indicted. He said the father and son had "probable cause" to believe the victim might be a burglar and were within their rights to arm themselves and chase him down.

The prosecutor said video footage of the shooting, made by a neighbor, shows Arbery to be the aggressor.

"Given the fact Arbery initiated the fight, at the point Arbery grabbed the shotgun, under Georgia Law, McMichael was allowed to use deadly force to protect himself," according to the memo, reported in the New York Times.

A Glynn County police spokesman declined comment on the probe and referred all questions to Durden, who has not publicly discussed the case and could not be immediately reached on Thursday.

Arbery's family is demanding that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation take over the investigation and pass on their findings to a special prosecutor.

"There are obviously sensitive aspects about this case, anytime there is a victim of ... racial violence," family lawyer Lee Merritt said.

"We believe that any reasonable fact finder will return an indictment for murder against at least Mr. Travis but likely against the two, Mr. Gregory McMichael to be considered an accessory to murder."

The family fears Arbery's slaying will slip through the cracks, as America focuses on the COVID-19 pandemic that's shut down much of the nation's economy, according to Merritt and Cooper.

The older McMichael, 64, first spotted Arbery on foot, "hauling ass" down Satilla Drive, and immediately thought the young man was a burglar who had recently been targeting the neighborhood, according to a Glynn County police report.

McMichal grabbed his .357 Magnum as Travis McMichael took out a shotgun, and they jumped into their truck to give chase, police said.

"'Stop, stop we want to talk to you,'" the elder McMichael told police he shouted at Arbery.

A third man, a neighbor only identified as "Roddy," also joined the chase and jumped into the pair's pickup truck, according to police.

After the men eventually caught up with Arbery, there was a fatal confrontation.

"Michael stated (that) the unidentified male began to violently attack Travis and the two men then started fighting over the shotgun at which point Travis fired a shot and then a second later there was a second shot,” according to the police report.

The report didn't specifically say if Arbery was armed. It made no mention of any weapon being found on his body.

Merritt said the victim was not armed.

"Michael stated he rolled the man over to see if the male had a weapon," according to the police report.

Gregory McMichael told police he believed he had spotted the victim in his neighborhood days earlier — and that he had "stuck his hand down his pants which led them to believe the male was armed," according to the police report.

The father and son could not be reached for comment Thursday at several publicly listed telephone numbers for the pair.

The victim was a former high school football player and was a health buff who jogged regularly, his family said.

"I knew that at some point he went to that subdivision" as a jogger, Cooper said. "As a mother, I never worried about him jogging or just running as long as he stayed within the streets. I mean, no one should bother him. "

Authorities have not linked Arbery to the burglaries in the neighborhood cited by Gregory McMichael. Merritt conceded that Arbery might have gone through the frame of a house under construction in the neighborhood -- something that isn't a crime, and definitely didn't justify the deadly shooting, he said.

"That dwelling did not have doors or windows," he said. "Under the law in the state of Georgia, in order to commit a crime by entering someone's dwelling, you have to break a seal, break a door, forcibly enter something that is otherwise locked."

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

This is how another news source painted the picture...talk about racism....nice.

https://bossip.com/1885342/2-gun-to...k-jogger-ahmaud-arbery-no-charges-no-arrests/

2 Gun-Toting Georgia Soup Cookies Chase And Kill Unarmed Black Jogger Ahmaud Arbery, No Charges, No Arrests
    Posted on April 28, 2020 - By Bossip Staff

Ahmaud Arbery was minding his Black-a$$ business trying to get some exercise one Sunday afternoon in February when he was shot and killed by two white people, a father, and son, who believed him to be a robber.

According to Newsone citing NYTimes, Arbery was jogging in Brunswick, Georgia when Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son, Travis McMichael, 34, both white, grabbed their guns, hopped in their truck, and ran him down screaming “Stop, stop! We want to talk to you!”. A struggled ensued and Travis shot Ahmaud twice with a shotgun.

Oh, did we mention that this murder took place three days before the 8th anniversary of Trayvon Martin’s murder at the hands of George Zimmerman, a man who is still alive and breathing? Yeah.

There have been no arrests have been made nor charges filed. At this point, there isn’t even an investigation going on. Why, you ask? Well…

According to documents obtained by The New York Times, a prosecutor who had the case for a few weeks told the police that the pursuers had acted within the scope of Georgia’s citizen’s arrest statute, and that Travis McMichael, who held the shotgun, had acted out of self-defense.

Self. De. Fense. How were these two Andy Griffith-Barney Fife muthaf***as threatened again? Oh.

What’s worse is that Ahmaud’s family doesn’t feel empowered to act on his behalf because of the coronavirus restrictions.

3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Running while black = probable cause, apparently.

calvin natt, Lanny and Chris Craig like this.
  4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I wouldn't stop if three dudes with guns were chasing me down the street and yelling stop.

PCmor7 and RR7 like this.
  5. yankeesince59

I'd like to know where in Brunswick the victim actually lived and if it's nowhere near where he was killed, I'd ask wtf was he doing there "jogging".

Not everything is racially motivated.

magnifier661 likes this.
  6. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    This

7. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Seriously? So when you go out for a jog, do you stay within a few blocks of where you live? "Jogging" in quotes. Gimme a break man

8. yankeesince59

Yes, I do...in fact when I jog, I always do it on the road I actually live on, or at least within 1/4 mile from where I live.

The article claimed he was "jogging", not me.

9. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Cool. Sometimes when I run, I go out for an 8 mile run. Rather than bore the shit out of myself by running in a loop in my allotted block, I sometimes run 4 miles from my home and back. God forbid I leave my neighborhood and risk being shot.

Oh wait. I'm white.

10. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

so what?

maybe the dead guy lived where there are busy streets and he'd have to wait for a light at a crosswalk every block. Maybe he lived in a flat area and wanted to run where there are more hills and inclines. Maybe he wanted to spend time running on softer surfaces than concrete and asphalt.

or maybe he was just somebody who wanted a change of scenery while running. That's actually legal and he's free to move around outside of his immediate neighborhood

11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Keep your shit over there!!!

your not from these parts!!!

sounds like segregationism to me.

12. yankeesince59

So am I, but that's beside the point. Like I said earlier, not everything is racially motivated.

In summation, no one knows the whole story...I think we can agree on that.

13. yankeesince59

That's a possibility, which is why I asked where the guy lived.

14. Chris Craig

It's racially motivated. If it was a white guy running down the street they wouldn't have chased him. Three armed white men chased down an unarmed black man who they had no proof had committed any crime, and shot him dead. They racially profiled him. They chased him down and shot him. Three against one...that's a posse. The only thing that has changed is the rope.

MARIS61, theprunetang and RR7 like this.
  15. Chris Craig

And you can bet if it was the other way around and three Black men chased down and shot an unarmed white man, they would all be in jail

16. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Seems like the slowness of the system doing anything might be and probably is racially motivated. Least from the story posted it seems like no one really knows what the motivation was with three men who chased him down. Ive seen white people chase down other white people they thought had robbed someone.
    I think we need more facts before we can claim if it was racism that caused his death. I think we have enough facts to know if they were black men who chased down a white guy, the DA and law enforcement would be acting much more quickly.

yankeesince59 and wizenheimer like this.
  17. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

If this was three black people chasing down a white jogger and killing them, they'd be on death row already. And to believe that some idiots believe systematic racism doesn't exist... Fucking bullshit.

18. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

If this is the first thing that comes to your mind, that's not good.

19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    The older McMichael, 64, first spotted Arbery on foot, "hauling ass" down Satilla Drive, and immediately thought the young man was a burglar who had recently been targeting the neighborhood, according to a Glynn County police report.

McMichal grabbed his .357 Magnum as Travis McMichael took out a shotgun, and they jumped into their truck to give chase, police said.

How you can read this, within the context of the South's history with black people, and come away with any impression other than it being racially motivated is beyond me.

Important hint: It's not normal to see a person running along a street and your first thought be, "That's likely a burglar I need to chase down with a shotgun."

Use some common sense.

And the fact that the DA said that the person who was "first spotted" running, the person who was being chased down by shotgun-wielding idiots, was the aggressor suggests that the legal system is still pretty willfully racist too.

PCmor7, Chris Craig and RR7 like this.
  20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

They were. That sense is very common in some areas of the south.

Lanny likes this.