Tim Duncan on the NBA finals....

Discussion in 'San Antonio Spurs' started by mike18946, Jun 5, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I'll be honest with you... I've been telling people that I'm a little shocked to be in the NBA Finals. It seems like so long since the 1999 Championship. I feel so fortunate to be in this position again, and I realize now just how special a team has to be to make it this far.

My teamates and I have had ups and downs this year, but we're a very talented squad. Because we went 15-2 in 1999 and have gone six games in each of the series so far, it really feels like we have worked for and accomplished so much to be here.

For me this trip to the Finals is special too because of the guys on the team who are older than me and have never gotten this far. Danny, Kevin, Steve Smith, and others who have played in this league for so long and have yet to experience the joy that is the Championship series. We have all talked about how we want to win for them and especially for David. We all know he is a true champion on and off the court, but we'd like to get him another ring as a tribute for all the wonderful things he has done for San Antonio. We have all fought hard to try to live up to that goal.

I don't know if at the begining of the season people really expected us to go this far, but now that we're here, we're going to give it all we've got. I've enjoyed a couple of days off but I've spent a lot of time looking at game tapes. This will be a hard fought battle, but it's one that I'm ready to fight. We all are.

Thanks for your support and enthusiasm. Don't forget to make the SBC louder than ever for us when we play at home. We'll need you to be our sixth man again. Check in with you soon!

Tim Duncan.