Zombie Time to evaluate

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Schilly, May 4, 2016.

1. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    That's a good find. I would rather go with a guy like him (and try to find the next Whiteside) rather than sign a Whiteside at a huge contract. He actually shoots free throws pretty good and made 37% of his jump shots in college. Of course if we got him I really would like to get that big man coach we have been waiting for a couple of years.http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeWayne-Dedmon-6506/

2. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

I agree with you 100%. If Olshey can sign a max caliber starter such as Horford, I will be doing the happy dance, and then back flips with a brown bottle in my hand to celebrate.

But, the reality is. Every team will be looking to improve. Every team wants Horford. Almost every team has a lot of money to spend on FAs.

To improve, unless it is a Horford type max player, Olshey will need to overpay. Just to keep some of our FAs will probably cost a lot more than most Blazer fans want to believe.

What we need is a third scorer that can create his own shot. This will take pressure off of Dame & CJ. Blazers fans that want to trade CJ, who can create his own shot, for a big that can not create his own shot, are nuts.

If Olshey overpays for a FA, it better be for one that can create his own shot, or, the Blazers will not improve by very much, if at all.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  3. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    However I see that Orlando can make him a restricted free agent by extending a qualifying offer.

4. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

Williams has always been a PF in a bigger SF body. Jeff Green is similar that way.

5. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I realize some people don't like to admit it because Meyers Leonard didn't live up to being an elite center or even a fulltime starter, but I think to deny that he actually moves pretty well and can hold his own in the low post against some of the physically stronger centers in this league to the point that he actually gets under their skin is being willfully and completely blind to the truth. But the most physically-gifted player in the world -- and I am not saying Meyers Leonard is that -- can only do so much when he doesn't have the mindset, instincts and experience to use those raw tools.

riverman, Orion Bailey and Schilly like this.
  6. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

We will have most the young guys under restricted free agency. So we pretty much can bring them back if we want to.

Henderson and kaman can go wherever they want, but meh.

The only two i really would like to resign for sure are harkless and crabbe. Maybe leonard if the price is right.

7. Schilly

So here is a hypothetical.... Which would you rather have? Ryan Anderson, or Meyers Leonard and Roy Hibbert.

BTW before anyone gets the undergarments in a knot, I am not a fan of Hibbert at all nor Advocating him as being our big target. I do think though that the price of those 2 options is overall about the same.

8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Based on talent alone? Anderson. Hands down.

Based on contract? They're all going to be overpaid. Still probably Anderson.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  9. JFizzleRaider

Agreed. I just dont see meyers ever averaging 20 ppg.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

B...and it's not even close but I'd replace Hibbert with Sanders for even less money

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Anderson is talented but fragile...he's always injured

12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Thats a tough one. I think Hibbert and Leonard are more valuable combined than Anderson, but can Leonard and Hibbert work well on this roster?

Not necessarily together but with the rest of the roster.

Can I have leonard and Anderson? And force Leonard into C? Lets make a deal! ;)

13. Natebishop3

I don't think you can bring that in as a factor while Meyers has missed most of the season with a recurring shoulder injury.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Anderson has missed season after season with injuries...sure I can bring it up...having Meyers and a big like Hibbert or Sanders as opposed to Ryan Anderson? To me it's not even a discussion

15. Natebishop3

Hibbert is awful. That ship has sailed. We are never signing Hibbert.

So the alternative is sign a guy that might get injured, or sign two guys that suck? I don't like those choices.

16. JFizzleRaider

Anderson is a proven scorer in the league from a position we sorely need it from. Leonard is not a proven scorer.

17. Natebishop3

Larry Sanders already quit on basketball.

Hibbert is in the process of quitting on basketball.

I wouldn't sign either of them, unless we can have them at Walmart bargain bin discount prices.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

hard to score much if you're in a suit or bagged in ice...I don't like his health flags....I agree he's a lights out shooter and smart player..just think he's a high risk roster spot

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I read some Sanders articles and he's prepping for a return...read a rumor Olshey had called him. That guy is a rim protector. Michael Jordan quit basketball to play baseball....that doesn't bother me

20. Schilly

Hmm interesting.... Anderson hasn't quite had a 20ppg season, career average is 13.1ppg or 18.1pp36 with a career usage of 22.6%. Meyers on the other hand has a higher effective FG% (And better 2pt% and 3pt%) for his career, better rebounding and assist numbers, better at blocking shots and Drtg. From a stats standpoint the only ANderson has had a better career PER and takes about 5 shots more per game. Give Meyers 939 fga in a season and let's see how his scoring is. Yeah I get the whole eyeball test thing, but there is also the concept of Moneyball and statistical evaluation that is fact, not opinion as well.

Now all that said I'm not saying Anderson is a worse player, but I am saying is people in here are seeing Anderson as being greener grass.

BBert and blue9 like this.