Time to hit the reset button

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Apr 20, 2018.

1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Like I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not opposed to making changes, but I also believe posters are panicking and over reacting at this stage as well. As I have observed from this forum and OLive in the past that people get way to high when winning (look at all the predictions going into the playoffs) and then jump off the 13th floor when things don't go well. I try and keep a steady head about myself and not pretend to have the answers.

This playoff series has definitely been disappointing but I give a lot of credit to the Pelicans for looking at least like a team that is playing at the top of their game at the same time Portland has gone into a slump. Anthony Davis's ability to jump the scfreens along with Rondo and Holiday are a nightmare matchup for guard oriented teams and not too many teams would be able to pull off that type of defensive scheme.One thing people forget or at least appears that way, we are still a very young team (2nd or 3rd youngest I believe).

Maybe it's time for a change at coach, or at GM or a trade of CJ, but I would rather watch a playoff team than a lottery team for the next 4 years or so. It's now a fine line between the playoffs and lottery as we experienced this year and to think that because we finished one game ahead of the Pelicans that it makes us a superior team isn't being very realistic. The 3-10 teams were virtually equal this year and getting to that level again might be a tough task if this team is blown up.

** my post was more just my general feelings surge as opposed to anything you posted as I have always enjoyed your posts from the past even if we didn't agree on some things.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    dviss1 and HailBlazers like this.
  2. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

1. Fire Olshey
    2. Fire Stotts (he's lost the team)
    3. Trade CJ
    4. Probably let Nurk goes if he is signed to a reasonable contract elsewhere
    5. Try to move everyone else we can outside of Collins and Dame.
    6. Bring back Jailblazers or at least guys who will fucking fuck shit up.

santeesioux, brooklynballer and Reep like this.
  3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to comment on this, because I think some people make too much out of it. Our team's average age means very little, and is skewed young because we lack any real veteran presence coupled with a slew of young-but-low-ceiling players (Papa, Wade, Biggie, Jake). Our rotation players have the following ages & years of experience
    • Dame: 27, 6
    • CJ: 26, 5
    • Harkless: 24, 6
    • Aminu: 27, 8
    • Nurk: 23, 4
    • Turner: 29, 8
    • Ed: 28, 8
    • Pat: 25, 3
    • Collins: 20, 1
    It's really only Collins and Nurk that are young. Harkless is on the cusp, but his years in the league kind of erase the idea that he's as young as his age would indicate. We lack anyone over 30, which is what gives us the appearance of being a young team. But does anyone really think we're a younger team than PHI? By average age we are, but by core players we most certainly are not.

4. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Yeah there needs to be some changes. But blowing it up would be stupid. I personally think they could find a better fit than CJ but that might take a couple years to get a good deal to work. The GM has brought this team some success and needs to continue his work. Just because it isn't fast enough for you and a few others doesn't make it not fact. The Coach is well liked and the Players want him here. Again because you don't think that is the case it is fact. Stotts will get at least another year.

5. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Probably the best post in the thread. Yes some changes could be made. But only if they are smart moves and at the right time.

6. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Dame has five years of prime left IMO.

BonesJones likes this.
  7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I'm higher on the roster than most people here. I think we need a new coach that values ball movement as well as using ball movement to get the best shot possible (which is usually an interior shot, not a jumpshot). A coach that uses Dame and C.J. off the ball. A coach that has an offensive system that results with sets containing some to the rim player movement.. A coach that has us run in transition as well as switch up defensive schemes from time to time to try to force turnovers to do so as well as keep offenses off balance and not knowing what to expect.

8. BonesJones

Exactly. The "youngest playoff team" argument is devoid of context.

9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The Clippers weren't trying to win during the Donald Sterling years. He regularly drafted quality players and then let them walk when their cheap rookie deals ended. The Clips are not a good example of a team that tanked for years.

The Wolves have a much brighter future than we do. Towns is only 22. Wiggins is only 23. Butler is only 28. Their core is much more well rounded and talented than ours.

The Sixers have three generational talents. Arguably the best center in the league in Embiid, the next LeBron in Simmons, and Fultz could be something really special as well. They have a better future than we do.

Tanking only works if you have a bright front office, which the Kings do not. Their ownership is fucking horrible.

TBpup likes this.
  10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

11. CupWizier

retired
    and how long has it taken those teams to get to that level and then there is a bit of luck involved in getting those high picks and having them turn out to be star players. If you want to take out the Clippers fine, then put the Kings in there. How well has it worked out for them?

12. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Cleveland lands the #1 pick and offers it for Dame....

What say you?

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This.

riverman and BonesJones like this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You're on one lately bro.... Do you need to hit this? You know it's April 20th.

[​IMG]

riverman and Chris Craig like this.
  15. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Why would you assume something naive as that?

16. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

What else are they offering?

17. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Anything less than LeBron would be uncivilized.

Lanny and HailBlazers like this.
  18. CupWizier

retired
    Davis and Turner are the 2 oldest players and they are 28 and 29 with 8 players 25 or younger. That's a young team.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  19. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

Controversial opinion probably but let Nurk walk. Honestly. Put the trust in Zach collins and get a stretch 4. Trade CJ. Somehow get rid of Turner and Meyers contracts.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  20. BonesJones

No.

Lanny likes this.