Time to hit the reset button

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Apr 20, 2018.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

No. You don't let a guy walk who, over the 2nd half of the season, averaged 21 and 12 per 36 on 55% shooting with great rim protection.

Zach Collins is our stretch 4. If anything, trade Nurkic down the road. Letting him walk would be dumb.

WillG and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  2. BonesJones

Only 2 of those players will improve enough to make the team better.

3. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

Stotts and Olshey both can kick rocks as far as I’m concerned.

Also, I’d have to highly consider attaching contracts to CJ or seeing how far up in the draft we could move.

I think Collins is the future at the 5, but might have to match on Nurkic just to trade him for actual value.
    I’d hire Kim Hughes or an established Big man coach. Collins needs it and so does Nurk.

Alternatively, I’d see if we could reverse Jermaine O’Neil this sell high and trade Zach Collins/CJ + Whatever else for Doncic, Porter, or Mikal Bridges (for something of lesser value).

Nikolokolus likes this.
  4. BonesJones

POR Gets: 9, 13, W.Johnson,
    NYK Gets: 12, Harkless, Leonard, Rivers
    LAC Gets: CJ McCollum,

5. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

It's outside the box. That's a start.

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I hit the reset button every morning...double espresso and a water back does the trick

HailBlazers likes this.
  7. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Nurkic is almost unplayable in todays Playoffs.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  8. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Nurk would gain the most from a big man coach. Collins is already a natural. Nurks the #1 reason we're not beating the Pels. If he was beasting in the post and on D it would open up everything for everyone else.

tykendo likes this.
  9. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

"F" that. There is no guaranty any draft pick will be special. One thing I do know , Dame IS special, and young. He's still developing his game. The Pels are bringing the kitchen sink at him. Sure, other teams will try to do the same thing, but it doesn't mean they have the personnel to do it. I think the development of Nurkic and Collins, with added help through trades will help continue the path.

10. tykendo

That's simply not true. Davis is a special talent, but Nurk has been hampered by a coach that won't play him. You can't play the second best player on the team only 17.5 minutes a game. That's on Stotts.

11. tykendo

I'd say 8 years. Todays athletes are in way better shape than yester years. Barring a serious injury, he will be able to stay an elite player much longer.

BonesJones likes this.
  12. tykendo

A trade like: CJ/Harkless/Swanigan & a 1st rounder to SA for Leonard/Gasol would be a step in the right direction for this team. It's helps the Blazers and helps the Spurs with their aging team. It works in the Machine. Now I think this would be enticing for the Spurs, but if you don't agree, then it means CJ's value is overrated.

BonesJones and BBert like this.
  13. AFully22

AFully22 Well-Known Member

Davis is a special talent, but there is a lot of great small ball lineups in the Western Conference that would all exploit Nurk like he was against New Orleans.

Minnesota, Golden State, and Houston could all use lineups to take Nurk out of a series if they want and if you somehow manage to not face one those teams there will be one in Eastern Conference waiting in the finals. That’s a real issue you have to consider with signing Nurk long term. Don’t think you should just let him walk either though, if possible.

14. tykendo

Nurk ate Capella for lunch in the last meeting. He's had success against Golden State too.

15. AFully22

Nurk vs Capela, Towns, or Draymond in the post, with his consistency, isn’t going to win you a playoff series if that means they can solely focus on shutting down Dame and CJ. Especially once they find ways to exploit him when their on offense. We just got a little taste of that vs New Orleans.

16. tykendo

Nurkic is a developing talent. What you see right now, doesn't mean that's it going forward. Funny how other teams in the League can be young and developing , and have a bright future, but when it concerns Portland's young and developing roster, " they're done, no future, desperate times, break it up". It's a double standard. Does there need to be tweaks, and additions, YES! But the future is bright.

BBert and HailBlazers like this.
  17. AFully22

I like Nurk and don’t doubt that he will develop his skill set but to what level is the question and can that overweight the things that won’t change with his body style like quickness and ability to guard on the perimeter. If you think his potential outweighs those things then you plan the roster with him in mind at that starting spot. But if you don’t feel like locking up potentially long term big money to a guy who you feel might be taken out of playoff series you may hesitate.

There’s plenty of examples of teams being on the wrong side of inovation throughout sports. I question if now, with the team where it is, is the best time to go against the trends.

18. tykendo

That's fair. I just know that Nurk is fairly new to the game. He didn't play basketball at a young age. It came later. But with good coaching, and desire to get better, he will IMO. Nurk is an emotional dude. That's why he says things that piss people off(Denver list him as public enemy#1). He wears it on his sleeve. As he matures with Dame at his side, I have no doubt that he will become an imposing threat to other teams going forward. I don't have the same feeling for some others on the team as far as high ceiling goes. Dame, Nurk, and Zach have the highest ceilings to me. That's why I preach that the Blazers MUST re-sign Jusaf.

BonesJones likes this.
  19. AFully22

I get that too. And I’m not even sure which decision I would make. I just think it’s a bit more of a question then some others.

20. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Ayton? What could go wrong.....

BonesJones likes this.