Time to start Aaron Rogers

Discussion in 'NFC North' started by royalstarblue, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Packersfan

Packersfan nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, marino was in 2nd rd of playoffs his last game and lost 62-7 to the jacksonville jaguars.

I remember. I am sure beef remembers(if he forgets, i remind him) The key is, IN THE PLAYOFFS! Marino played good his last season, good enough to reach playoffs, despite no running game. Marino didnt have a losing season i believe. He was the best, without a doubt.</div>
    Marino didn't play by himself, despite how good one player is, no one player can win a single game by himself. IMO even if Marino was in his prime, and played QB for the packers last season, they wouldn't have done any better.

2. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>. IMO even if Marino was in his prime, and played QB for the packers last season, they wouldn't have done any better.</div>
    Dumbest thing ever said. Even farve playing better they would have won more games. They lost so many close games last year. Marino throwing for 40 TDs might have made a difference. Heck Farve not throwing 30 ints might have made a difference. The combination of marino not throwing picks and actually throwing for more tds, would have made a HUGE difference. They would have contended for super bowl.

3. Packersfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>. IMO even if Marino was in his prime, and played QB for the packers last season, they wouldn't have done any better.</div>
    Dumbest thing ever said. Even farve playing better they would have won more games. They lost so many close games last year. Marino throwing for 40 TDs might have made a difference. Heck Farve not throwing 30 ints might have made a difference. The combination of marino not throwing picks and actually throwing for more tds, would have made a HUGE difference. They would have contended for super bowl.</div>
    WOW...... your telling me that Marino playing on the Packers team last year with all those injuries would of not just won more games but made it to the playoffs? Now that may be the "dumbest thing ever said".

4. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>. IMO even if Marino was in his prime, and played QB for the packers last season, they wouldn't have done any better.</div>
    Dumbest thing ever said. Even farve playing better they would have won more games. They lost so many close games last year. Marino throwing for 40 TDs might have made a difference. Heck Farve not throwing 30 ints might have made a difference. The combination of marino not throwing picks and actually throwing for more tds, would have made a HUGE difference. They would have contended for super bowl.</div>
    WOW...... your telling me that Marino playing on the Packers team last year with all those injuries would of not just won more games but made it to the playoffs? Now that may be the "dumbest thing ever said".</div>
    When you add 25 tds, and take away 12 turnovers (Marino's prime 48tds 17ints) you will see a HUGE turnaround. Thats 9 more point a game of offense.

5. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

Marino would have gotten killed last year behind Green Bay's offensive line.

For his career, I believe Marino's rushing yards are in the negative. Favre's never been a scrambler, but his legs are what kept him alive last year. Marino would have gone down, even in his prime, by game four.

6. Packersfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    WOW...... your telling me that Marino playing on the Packers team last year with all those injuries would of not just won more games but made it to the playoffs? Now that may be the "dumbest thing ever said".</div>
    When you add 25 tds, and take away 12 turnovers (Marino's prime 48tds 17ints) you will see a HUGE turnaround. Thats 9 more point a game of offense.</div>
    Marino would not have had the same number of TD's and INT's playing on the Packers last year....

7. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

I don't think you can argue Marino probably would of done better with the Pack. His TD's might of been around the same and maybe lower but his INT's would of been much lowered. Favre threw almost 4,000 yards and 20 TD's but he still threw 29 INT's. Marino wasn't as careless with the ball. In fact he's probably the most gifted passer to ever play. Actually he is!! Maybe Marino goes for 20 TD's and 3,500 yards or 18 TD's and 3000 yards but Marino probably would of kept the INT's between 10-15 and I'll take 14 less INT's and 5 less TD's and 500 less yards anyday.

I consider John Elway the greatest QB ever. With Marino, Favre, Montanta all up there. You can make an arguement for and against each one.

8. Packersfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think you can argue Marino probably would of done better with the Pack. His TD's might of been around the same and maybe lower but his INT's would of been much lowered. Favre threw almost 4,000 yards and 20 TD's but he still threw 29 INT's. Marino wasn't as careless with the ball. In fact he's probably the most gifted passer to ever play. Actually he is!! Maybe Marino goes for 20 TD's and 3,500 yards or 18 TD's and 3000 yards but Marino probably would of kept the INT's between 10-15 and I'll take 14 less INT's and 5 less TD's and 500 less yards anyday.

I consider John Elway the greatest QB ever. With Marino, Favre, Montanta all up there. You can make an arguement for and against each one.</div>
    As PA said, Marino wouldn't of had enough time behind the packers line last year. He may not of threw as many INT's but then he would of just threw it away or been sacked, alot. He would not have been able to give himself more time like Favre was able to do by scrambling, so he would of had to throw before he wanted to which would have led to INT's just as often if not more often as Favre. When your O-Line doesn't hold and your not a great scrambler (like Mike Vick) you have 1 of 2 options, take a risk and pass, or throw it away. Favre will most of the time take the risk. Marino would most likely have thrown it away. Now this will undoubtedly take away INT's, but it will also take away succesfull drives and TD's. IMO it would pan out and end up with around the same record. The reason I say this is the O-line didn't hold for much time at all last season so Marino would have been alot like Peyton Manning against the Chargers last year.

9. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Marino would have gotten killed behind last year's Packers O-line. Really? I'm not so sure about that. Marino had the quickest release in the history of the NFL and he wasn't nearly as cement-footed as people seem to think. Marino was a master of negotiating the pocket. He had excellent footwork which meant he was more economical in the number of steps that he needed to take to avoid the rush and those steps were always made mindfully of proper throwing technique.

Let's focus, folks. This isn't just about how good Favre and Marino were at the end of their careers. It's about where the teams they were/are playing on are in the pursuit of a championship. Yes, I remember that Marino's last game was a butt whupping by the Jaguars. However, it wasn't just Marino that was playing flat that day and, like BF1 pointed out, it was in the thick of the playoffs. The reason I think Favre should step down is because I don't see the Pack doing that well this year and I don't see what a wasted year of Favre taking snaps is going to do for the Pack. I believe that Favre's continuing to play is going to slow down the process of replacing him.

10. Packersfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>The reason I think Favre should step down is because I don't see the Pack doing that well this year and I don't see what a wasted year of Favre taking snaps is going to do for the Pack. I believe that Favre's continuing to play is going to slow down the process of replacing him.</div>
    IMO the Packers have a decent team this year. The D is solid, the offense on the other hand is what needs some improvement. The O-Line is solid with talent but young. They do have training camp to come together though. Favre is still an above average QB, even if he's not as mobile as he was, his arm is still great. At RB it's a ? but has the potential to be strong. Green will be ready by the end of preseason, Gado showed alot of potential last year, and is getting to practice as a starter, and Davenport who is at least a solid backup is getting to take limited snaps now. Driver is a good #1 WR and there's a-lot of competition for the #2 spot, including Ferguson, Gardner, and Jennings. The TE position is solid with Franks, Martin, and Lee. Henderson is as solid as they come for FB and Leach has proven his ability as a backup. IMO the packers have the potential to be a surprise team this year and make a run at the playoffs. So Favre coming back isn't a waste, not only does he give them the best chance to win, it gives Rodgers another year to learn from indisputedly one of the best QB's ever to play Football, and arguably the best ever.

11. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Your assuming that Favre can turn the interceptions on and off like a light switch. Also, I have a hard time believing that, if the Pack's O-line was as bad as you guys make it out to be, that it's fixed that quickly.

12. Packersfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>Your assuming that Favre can turn the interceptions on and off like a light switch. Also, I have a hard time believing that, if the Pack's O-line was as bad as you guys make it out to be, that it's fixed that quickly.</div>
    Last year there were alot of injuries, so yes I think that this year should be alot different. As for Favre, the pressure won't be all on him this year, McCarthy is going to focus on the running game which is going to be much improved as Green, Gado, and Davenport should be healthy. The O-Line is changing to a zone blocking scheme which fits better for the young more mobile O-Line, which will help the run and pass game.

13. Pack Attack

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Also, I have a hard time believing that, if the Pack's O-line was as bad as you guys make it out to be, that it's fixed that quickly.</div>
    Thatt's a fine point. There's no way of telling how the line will play this year. It is, by far, the biggest question mark on the team. Clifton, Tauscher and Wells are all solid players. I have no worries about them. Starting two rookies, though? That almost never turns out well.

The Packers will find out early how good their O-Line is, though. Week 1 vs. the Bears? Ouch...

14. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

But the ZOne Blocking scheme could make that a null point, i mean atlanta and Denver alot of times just through late rounders, undrafted players, and even converted tight ends in on there line and look at there ground game! Pass blocking is what im more concerned about.

15. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Packersfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    When you add 25 tds, and take away 12 turnovers (Marino's prime 48tds 17ints) you will see a HUGE turnaround. Thats 9 more point a game of offense.</div>
    Marino would not have had the same number of TD's and INT's playing on the Packers last year....</div>
    He would have been close enough. Take of the cheese colored glasses. Step into reality. We are comparing Marino in his prime to farve as a washed up QB. farves best year isnt close to marinos. Marinos worst year, is WAY better than farves worst year(of couse marino left before he was washed up like farve). Line wouldnt have affected Marino's play, he had fatest release in football. That is why he took so few sacks, not cuz he had dominant line. Watch line in super bowl, they could not give him 1 second to release. He still did a decent job til game was ridiculously out of hand. Farve played like shit last year. blame the line and the injuries if you want. Or you could just realize it is past his time. Rodgers should start. Farve is not a top 25 qb anymore. he cant get it done.

16. Pack Attack

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Farve is not a top 25 qb anymore. he cant get it done.</div>
    Best. Quote. Ever.

I'm looking forward to you retracting that statement when the season is over.

And Marino left before he was washed up? Check out his stat line from 1999...

Dan Marino

204 comp
    369 att
    55.3 completion %
    2448 yards
    6.63 ypa
    12 TDs
    17 Ints
    67.4 Rating

So Favre last year had a better rating, a higher completion percentage, more completions, more yards, more TDs and the same TD/Interception ratio (59%) as a Dan Marino who supposedly wasn't "washed up?"

Sure...

17. CanadianFavreFan

CanadianFavreFan nfl-*****s member

Score one for Pack Attack. I will agree Favre had a bad year last year but I'm not sure it was cause of age or just a bad year. He has way more skill still then Marino had when he was finishing. Favre's problems last year seemed to be more mental then diminished skills. For some reason as soon as a guy under 30 plays terrible it was just a bad year. If a guy is over 30 he is automatically washed up. Can't an older player just have a plain bad year. If I remember when Favre had a terrible year in 98 and people said he was washed up. Well he bounced back pretty well to prove those writers incompetent. So we'll let this year determine where he's at. Personally I think if he plays smarter the skills are still there to lead this team.

18. Bearsfan1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pack Attack)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Farve is not a top 25 qb anymore. he cant get it done.</div>
    Best. Quote. Ever.

I'm looking forward to you retracting that statement when the season is over.

And Marino left before he was washed up? Check out his stat line from 1999...

Dan Marino

204 comp
    369 att
    55.3 completion %
    2448 yards
    6.63 ypa
    12 TDs
    17 Ints
    67.4 Rating

So Favre last year had a better rating, a higher completion percentage, more completions, more yards, more TDs and the same TD/Interception ratio (59%) as a Dan Marino who supposedly wasn't "washed up?"

Sure...</div>
    Alright I concede they were equally shitty. Marino obviously needed to get away at that point. Marino wasnt throwing as many INTs on % or TDs on % but, i remember JJ ran the ball on 1st and 2nd and had dan throw on 3rd and long all year. Thats not what pack did. Farve was just losing game after game, which marino didnt do that year as evidenced by playoff appearance and win.

EDIT: I will not concede anything at end of year. If he suceeds i will attribute it to underhanded shady deals he made. Although, i doubt he lasts past bears game, rodgers will have to start then.

19. CanadianFavreFan

CanadianFavreFan nfl-*****s member

One stat that also says a little bit is that I think it was 20 out of Favre's int's were when they were trailing. That's one thing about Brett he's not worried about stats so he'll keep trying till the end insteaed of running out the time

20. Bears#1Fan

Bears#1Fan nfl-*****s member

I think Marino was a Better QB esp since he never had a solid run game to help him or the best recivers or the best line but he still put up the numbers.

Asfar as brett favre goes Last season was only the 4th time in his long ass career that he threw more ints then TD passes

1991 with atlanta 0td - 2 int
    1993 19td- 24 ints
    1999 22td - 23 ints
    2005 - 20td -29 ints

In Dan Marinos carrer That only happened 1 time and that was 1999 His last year as a pro

I personally Think Favre is done.. Do i think he is a good QB? yes Do i think he gives the Pack the best chance to win??? yes i do but in all reality Aaron was drafted as the QB of the future.. whether or not he turns out to be is not the question... Aaron needs to get Playing time if he is to develop what the pack thought he could be when they selected him in round 1.. The team needs to get used to the Future of the franchise.. Brett Favre came back i belive not to help this team get to a superBowl But to not go out with a bad note.. he can go on and on about that but when it all breaks down He is doing it for himself.. I give him props for saying that this Group is talented.. which i think its is But Let them get experiance with the future not the past