Time to start Collins

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tykendo, Dec 26, 2018.

1. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

One would think...
    But, Terry knows his ass is on the line, and it too dumb to realize that sticking with Aminu is only going to maintain the status quo and ensure his termination.

Scalma likes this.
  2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

For sure. I hated the Nic trade. But the fact that we paid to get rid of Vonleh when he was CLEARLY our best PF just made the whole thing that much worse.

oldmangrouch and Scalma like this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Well, he’s a free agent after the season. Right the wrong Neil and cut Bigg...oh wait his contract is guaranteed next season..NEVERMIND LOL!!

4. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine any player, having played for Stotts and then playing elsewhere, wanting to come back to play under Stotts again. Well, except Dame and CJ.

5. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

am i'm the only one here that thinks Swanigan looks slower and and more fat compared to last year in his 1st Summer League??

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

No, he’s definitely out of shape, and has been since the start of last season. He looks a little skinnier this season, but still nothing compared to last years summer league. My guess is he got in the best shape he possibly could during the draft process, and then never committed to maintaining it.

7. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Yea he went to Knicks and all suddenly he can shoot from the outside. Due to one of there coaches made little adjustment where his release point. Now I am questioning all our coaches not just Stotts. When Olshey came out saying Swanigan was better then vonleh before Swanigan even step on the floor.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

9 and 6 is worth all this hype? What about his foul trouble?

9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't come across as an attack, and I know you were likely talking about Collins + Nurk more than anything else, but that looks a bit like cherry-picking

you got that from bbref, and what you cut out of the image was minutes played for those lineups; plus, other lineups that call it into question

A. Aminu | S. Curry | D. Lillard | C. McCollum | J. Nurkic - minutes 42:27....points +38.7

A. Aminu | D. Lillard | C. McCollum | J. Nurkic | E. Turner - minutes 179.37....points +20.1

Z. Collins | D. Lillard | C. McCollum | J. Nurkic | E. Turner - minutes 17:53....points +19.8

A. Aminu | M. Harkless | D. Lillard | C. McCollum | J. Nurkic - minutes 276:27....points +8.7

A. Aminu | J. Layman | D. Lillard | C. McCollum | J. Nurkic - minutes 240:07....points +1.2

bottom line is that the regular starting lineup with Aminu has a better points advantage then the one with Zach. The margin is insignificant but the regular starters established that over a realistic sample size; the sample size with Zach is too small to have any value as a gauge

those last two lineups illustrate that the other favorite-around-here-suggestion of replacing Harkless with Layman isn't supported by numbers either. And both of those sample sizes are sufficient enough to have some confidence in

I get it: in the 4th season of seeming inertia stomping on the same damn treadmill people want to see changes. They also want to see some upside somewhere, anywhere. So, let's go with the newer guys. Fine, I won't object, sure, try it and see what happens. But at least acknowledge that the desire for Collins and Layman to replace Aminu and Harkless isn't based upon actual measurable performance and production. Rather, it's based upon about equal parts of bias and that familiarity-breeds-contempt thing

so yeah, there's no reason, except maybe in the Stotts mind why Nurkic and Collins can't play together. There's also no statistical reason to expect that would be better than Aminu and Nurkic

10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I agree. He needs time at the 4 and AFA is a 3.

11. borim69

borim69 Well-Known Member

People who have had problems with weight will always have problems with their weight, it is a constant struggle. Sometimes we poke fun at people because we think it is as simple as "putting the fork down" but in some cases it is not. Even being a high caliber athlete it can really affect you. usually you see it in football players but Duckworth comes to mind in this scenario.

12. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    hahah. Vastly unfair. That was cruel.

Propagandist likes this.
  13. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I personally think Chief does everything better than Collins except maybe be as tall. We are trying to win and Stotts thinks (and I agree) that starting Chief gives us the best chance to win games. And for some unknown reason Stotts will not play Chief at small forward. I've heard him asked about it several times and he just says that Chief's best position is PF. Rigidity is one of the inexplicable things about Stotts.

CupWizier likes this.
  14. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Zach is a better interior defender and finisher. He also sets better screens.

BBert and Propagandist like this.
  15. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    That's an incomplete answer for sure. The salient question is, what lineup combination makes the team better, not what lineup makes Chief better.

:cheers:

blue9 and Propagandist like this.
  16. Propagandist

(You love you some Zach Collins...) I really think if Stotts felt that playing Zach more would give us a better chance of winning games, then he would. Don't you?

17. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Except that the foul trouble issue confuses things. Even if Stotts thought he was otherwise playing great, foul trouble is a deal breaker.

Propagandist likes this.
  18. Propagandist

In real life, people that suck at defense foul a lot.

19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I really don't think Stotts has a good feel for what would actually win us games.

Propagandist likes this.
  20. Propagandist

We totally agree on this. And I like Zach, I just like Chief too.