Time to start Collins

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tykendo, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Remember this thread?

I say we revisit it. My thoughts haven’t really changed.

Collins the last 15 games /36:

13.7 PPG
    9.6 RPG
    1.5 BPG
    1.2 SPG
    2.8 APG
    47% FG
    50% 3PT

Yet he’s only averaging 16 minutes a game. Yes, he also averages near 6 fouls/36 but I also don’t think we’re putting him in the best position to succeed. He’s splitting time or sharing the court with Meyers, neither of which is ideal.

If we were to play him with the starters, I think we’d get more out of him. I also think it’d make our offense a lot less predictable. Aminu doesn’t offer much besides an inconsistent outlet shot. Zach has flashed post ability all season. Let’s use his skill set. With how often teams go small, he’d be matched against smaller players, especially if he’s sharing the court with Nurkic. Nurk and Collins have only shared the court for 20 minutes this season, even though they’ve graded out positively on both ends. Limited sample but our best rebounding unit involves both of them.

I’m pretty sure we didn’t trade up into the lottery to draft a backup center. Olshey has ONLY compared Zach to power forwards. I get why Meyers and Zach don’t really work, but look at how well the Zach/Davis pairing worked last year. Why couldn’t we try the Nurk/Zach pairing more?

Dame
    CJ
    Layman
    Collins
    Nurk

That should be our starting 5 imo. At least give it a shot Terry! Or just keep doing the same shit over and over again and maybe get fired, your call dog.

2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

This is so damning.

Scalma and HailBlazers like this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

And this isn’t even me knocking Aminu. I just think Collins is a better fit with the starters. And we should also prioritize his development. Having him in and out of the lineup and sharing the court with a defensive liability like Meyers isn’t prioritizing development. This sounds backwards, but put him with the starters and I’d bet money his job would get easier.

Shit, the second unit would probably get better as well. With Turner, Hood, Moe, Aminu, and Meyers they could just get out and run.

chzbrgr, HailBlazers and kjironman1 like this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

in real life, players who are good at defense foul a lot too...they are just a lot smarter about how, and when, to foul

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Another interesting stat:

When Zach has a defender within 2-6ft of him on three point attempts, he shoots 46%. It’s when he’s “wide open” (6+ ft) that he has his struggles (32%)

By comparison, 2-6ft Aminu shoots 30%, and 36% on 6ft+.

What I’m getting at is Collins is probably a better shooter than his percentages indicate, while Aminu is the opposite. It’s much easier to believe the percentages on those wide open looks will improve than the ones that are more closely contested. Collins is probably just trying too hard. When he’s guarded more closely, he has less time to think.

6. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Well it kind surprised to me if Stotts think he was going be our future 4 I we think he would tinker with it more to see if it would work. I know when they both was the floor earlier it was successful especially on the defense side.

7. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

True true, but I'm not thinking that's what Zach's up to...

8. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'm curious, where is this? I've only heard Olshey compare Zach to centers when Zach was first drafted.

My speculation is this:

Zach was brought in to be Nurk's replacement, Olshey envisions the prototypical center to be quick, lengthy, and can shoot jumpers.

Then Nurk showed he's way better than they thought, which throws a wrench in the plans to develop Collins into the future starter.

9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

What centers has Olshey ever compared Zach to? The only names I’ve heard were Sheed, McHale, and Aldridge.

10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I’d say that Nurk has played well under Stotts.

H.C. likes this.
  11. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

He doesn't compare them to players specifically, it's just what he says implies that they see him as more of a 5. Add to the fact that they drafted a guy who can only play the PF in the same draft.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest...ing-neil-olshey-was-sold-zach-collins-january

12. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what Blazer offense can be mounted when we play Nurk with Zach and Enes as forwards. Blazer rebounding dominance might equal a powerful winning strategy.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  13. Propagandist

When I read your posts I hear a robot voice in my head.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Not until Aminu is gone at the end of the season. He will be our starter to open next season though.

15. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Hopefully that is the case. Collins needs to really take a step up in season 3 if the Blazers are going to take a next step.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  16. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

No, No. We need a big man coach.
    Our bigs are shit and with one they'd be amazing.
    Stotts and co don't develop players EVER.

Hoopguru likes this.
  17. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Seemed like the Kanter thread was kinda veering off topic so figured I'd dredge this one up to talk about Collins.

Some people like Aminu. Cool. I don't. And I don't think the numbers say that Aminu should play 30mpg while Zach gets DNP-CD'd.

And to those who will point to the difference in ORtg, etc, I would say that those are probably highly influenced by who they are playing with:

Aminu plays 87% of his minutes with both Dame and Nurk, and 13% of his minutes with at least one of Dame/Nurk.
    Collins plays 0% of his minutes with both Dame and Nurk, 36% of his minutes with one of Dame/Nurk, and 64% of his minutes with neither.

Something makes me think that Collins' advanced metrics would look a lot better if he played 87% of his minutes with the team's best players, rather than 64% of his minutes with the team's worst players. As it sits he still sports an equal Drtg. Let that sink in - the guy who hardly plays with Nurk and plays most of his minutes with Meyers has an equal Drtg to the guy who plays at least 87% of his minutes with Nurk.

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 10.31.42 AM.png

dviss1, THE HCP, PtldPlatypus and 3 others like this.
  18. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I agree. And that makes me scratch my head a little bit.

BonesJones likes this.
  19. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I hear a commercial advertisement.

20. Propagandist

Have you no eyes?!?!?

Collins plays against bench talent and still looks lumbering and oft lost. Chief plays with sieves up front AND guards the elites. Chief is the glue.

At this point this is a careful-what-you-wish-for scenario. Besides, we've been playing good basketball without him, and 4th quarters against the Suns with him. Can't we just focus on winning and revisit Zach in a couple of seasons?