Time to trade CJ

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Neil O. Shyster, Jan 9, 2020.

1. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

Now we’ve seen that CJ literally can play like an all star only when Dame is out or on a very rare off night. It’s time for CJ to run his own team and not get stuck in the shadow of Lillard. I think Trent is or should be ready to be a starter next year. He fit next to Dame so much better. With that being said here a trade that I thought would improve our defense and ball movement, 2 of our biggest weakness.
    Portland Receive Hayward and Love
    Celtics Receive Drummond and picks from Cavs
    Cavs get CJ and Whiteside
    This trade work out financially. The blazers should still use their MLE to get Dragic who can run the bench.
    Dame/Dragic
    Trent/Hood/simons
    Hayward/Little/Mario
    Collins/Ariza/Gabriel
    Nurkic/Love/cheap center
    And whoever we get with our pick

2. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Sign me up, make it happen Olshey.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  3. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Just to warn you, the trade deadline has passed and this trade is no longer possible to do.

BonesJones likes this.
  4. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

Yeah I do know that. But is it possible we can sign and trade Whiteside in this scenario?

5. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    That's not how sign and trades work so no.

BonesJones likes this.
  6. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

Sigh.

I hate Neil Olshey so much. I doubt he even gives a shit anymore, if he ever did.

7. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Bump!

https://syndication.bleacherreport....as-that-should-happen-this-offseason.amp.html

The Sixers Break Up the Core
    [​IMG]

The Trade: Ben Simmons for CJ McCollum, Anfernee Simons (or Nassir Little), a 2021 first-round pick and a 2022 second-round pick

There are three camps, all with legitimate arguments, that emerged with respect to the Philadelphia 76ers this season: those who...

• think they should trade Ben Simmons and build around Joel Embiid.
    • think they should trade Embiid and build around Simmons.
    • think they surrounded the two stars with players who simply don't fit their games and that they should continue building around both.
    The debate over which of those philosophies carries the most weight can be saved for another day. For now, let's assume Philly flames out in the postseason and leans into the first option.

Over the course of their time together, the Sixers are plus-8.3 points per 100 possessions when Embiid is on the floor without Simmons. The idea of surrounding a generational, foul-drawing post threat with shooting is enticing and backed up by those numbers. When scanning the trade market for potential Simmons suitors, shooting should be a motivating factor for Philadelphia.

The Portland Trail Blazers, who seem to face this "Should they break up the core?" question every year, might be the ideal partner.

CJ McCollum isn't as impactful as Simmons (the latter has nearly twice as many wins over replacement player over the last three seasons), but he actually shoots the ball. And he shoots it well. If Philadelphia decides to focus its rebuild on Embiid, it needs players who won't crowd him inside.

This season, McCollum shot an absurd 51.1 percent on two-pointers from 16 feet and out. He's just a shade under 40 percent from three for his career. He's also shown an ability to generate his own offense from nothing on the perimeter.

He's not nearly as big as Simmons (6'3" vs. 6'10") and may not have the same wide-ranging skill set, but there's a decent chance he'd fit better.

For Portland, acquiring Simmons would mean moving him from the 1 to the 4 (at least, generally speaking). No one's taking that role from Damian Lillard, though Simmons may be able to make Lillard's life easier by setting up more catch-and-shoot opportunities.

But if Simmons is a playmaking 4 (or, dare I say, a playmaking 5), he instantly becomes perhaps the game's most versatile big man. Think of a taller and more athletic prime Draymond Green. That's the potential we'd be looking at there.

The Blazers would still need their version of Klay Thompson, but Lillard and Simmons would be a pretty interesting facsimile of Stephen Curry and Draymond. As far as foundations go, it wouldn't get much better, which is how the team could justify giving up its No. 2 scorer, a promising young player and multiple picks.

8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Thats way to much for Simmons, imo. Maybe a CJ and Simons and/or Little but I wouldn't include both and picks. Plus Im not sure Simmons has the mentality to ever be help a team win the big one?

9. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

That would be the incredible and magical. Starting lineup: Dame, GT, Simmons, Zach, Nurk? gtfo. I want it.

10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I really like Simons still and don't want to lose him, but I'd still do that deal for Simmons.

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

If only so that BGD would never again post about Simons and call him Simmons.

12. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

So what are they gonna do with deadlines and player movement as this Covid situation continues? What begins to be kicked around?
    Sorry if this has been discussed already. I have not been following much lately.

13. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Yeh, I wouldn't send out Simons; Blazers seem to have hope he can be a scorer like CJ some day.

14. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    It also seems hard to make a trade involving Simmons work due to his lower salary and poison pill thing. Can anyone do it?

15. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

One of my favorite parts of this trade idea is that Anfernee "Fool's Gold" Simons is involved...haha. He is by far my least favorite Blazer on the roster. And yeah I know Swanigan is back.

beast crnjo and kjironman1 like this.
  16. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

C'mon. We said Meyers was "Still Young" for like 4 years....

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Isn't he still young? He looks 16. I think his birth certificate is a sham and he was drafted at age 10.

18. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Uh NO! With Nurk and Collins healthy, i really look forward to seeing it all come together. I truly hope the Blazers get a chance at that 8th seed. It could be REAL INTERESTING.

19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

When looking for a secondary player, I'm not trading C.J. for someone who'd be noticeably worse at playing off of Dame, or who sacrifices our floor spacing. Simmons isn't an upgrade. We don't desperately need the extra playmaking if Nurkic is healthy, and I think we lose as much on the offensive end as we gain on the defensive end with that trade. I want Dame with as much shooting around him as possible, and if you have Simmons and Nurk on the floor, you have two non-three-point threats on the floor (and no, I don't support trying to turn Nurkic into a stretch-five "unicorn" just to make Simmons fit).

hoopsjock and Orion Bailey like this.
  20. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

It was all mental for him. Looking at Simons, I think his issues are due to a lack of strength and a lack of seasoning and experience. The raw tools and the mindset is there. For Meyers he had the first, if only he had the latter.

Orion Bailey likes this.