"To lose two points like that, it is a disgrace.'' - Ray Allen

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlayZa, Jan 1, 2009.

1. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    Blazers' power-play goal latest sign of frazzled referees

PORTLAND -- This might have been the worst official decision I have ever seen at a major sporting event.

I have seen criminal verdicts made by judges of boxing, more than once I've heard of an extra down awarded accidentally to a college football team, and baseball umpires have infuriated me more often than I can remember.

But a new threshold was established here Tuesday when the Portland Trail Blazers accidentally put six men on the court against the Boston Celtics. The sixth man scored a basket. The referees acknowledged that he should not have been allowed on the floor. And then they permitted his basket to stand.

In other words, the officials rewarded a team for the most brazen form of cheating.

"I thought that was a disgrace,'' said Celtics All-Star guard Ray Allen. "I've never experienced anything like that since I've been in the NBA. To lose two points like that, it is a disgrace.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/12/31/thomsen.referees/

didnt see it elsewhere :)

2. Cake

Cake Member

I guess it's good we beat them by 5 then.

Whiners.

3. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    Are you implying that the NBA saying 'oh well' to a team having 6 players on the court is fair? It is a disgrace.

I hope every team starts doing that, to be honest. Expose Stern for being an even bigger idiot.

4. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

I was listening to Celtic fans argue that because of this 1 point swing, they lost the game. But they didn't respond about Gregs travel, Rondo's push of then 3 pointer, Pierce's travel then foul and 2 FTs, or anything like that. Its only selective if it goes FOR Boston.

Figures... Its gotta be something someone else did that would cause them to lose to the Blazers without Roy. LOL!

Edit - or when Sergio fouled that guy and they gave him 2 FTs... oh man... horrible game.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. JE

JE Suspended

When did I say anything about the game? I stated how it was bullshit that the NBA doesn't even have a rule punishing a team for having an extra player on the court. I mean, really?

6. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about you, as this is the first time i've read your post since the game.

I also agree it is stupid that the basket counted. The refs should have caught it when 6 players went out there. After they didn't catch it, and the basket was good, and THEN they realized... sadly, I don't think there is much they can do about it other than the Tech. and Boston ball.

Edited... mispelled a word.

7. JE

JE Suspended

I just hope we see a mass outbreak of 6 men on the court incidents in the near future.

8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I bet some coach (George Karl comes to mind) will try that against Portland.

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

It is a dumb rule, but the refs did say that if they had caught it...(I have no idea how they didn't, but I didn't notice either) before the basket they would have stopped play and awarded a FT to Boston. So any coach wanting to try that needs to know that more than likely they will lose a point.

It was a 1 point swing. Get over it. Oden didn't travel, Pierce took 4 steps, Garnett elbows someone every time down the floor and doesn't get called.

IT WAS 1 POINT

10. JE

JE Suspended

I'll assume that's directed at Ray Allen and not me, considering I have yet to voice any foul play about the game's actual outcome.

11. Blazerfan22

Blazerfan22 Member

seriously there is alot more stuff for Blazers fans to complain about in this game then the one play Portland did get away with which still got the Celtics a FT and ball. The way I looked at this game the Celtics had a 6th guy on the court the whole game and they were wearing stripes.

12. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Directed at the 100's of Celtic fans on the internet and Celtic players that keep bitching about it. It was a bad call, but 1 point. The Celtics get more calls, or non calls as it were than any other team.

So no, it wasn't directed at you.

13. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I think they need to get over it. The refs were terrible on both sides of the coin. To be perfectly honest, if they're the world champs, they shouldn't have put them into a position where a 1 point swing would turn the tide....

Point is, we out played them regardless of the refs sucking for both teams..

14. Public Defender

Public Defender brigadier general

asking questions
    I think JE's point is that the refs had a pretty clear violation and basically rewarded the team for it. The other calls - Pierce's travel in the paint is the most obvious that I can remember - are all very quick, in the heat of the game, judgment calls. The Blazers' six-men-on-the-court was an infraction of a different order.

Even so, since it really only cost the Celtics two points at most - and probably less than that, considering I think the refs had a few "make-up moments" after that - I don't believe it determined the outcome of the game (plus, didn't it happen in like the 3rd quarter?).

But the bigger question is, will the Blazers announcer now have to start saying "You're our SEVENTH man, so get on your feet!" :dunno:

15. BatumKaboom

BatumKaboom Suspended

Cry about it Boston fan. You got owned by Nates slick coaching! Way to go Nate!

16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Pierce blatantly took three steps in the key, made the basket and the free throw. That was a huge swing in the game. As always there are several of those scenarios every game. And they keep bitching about one point?

17. JE

JE Suspended

Right...

18. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

Not to mention, Bayless was called for steps to begin the 4th when he scored a layup and he was no where near traveling. The 1 pt swing did NOTHING! Can we get a re-quote from Ray..to lose ONE POINT like that, it is a disgrace!"..HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Karmas a mother!

19. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I think that that specific rule is absolutely stupid. I don't know why in the world we were allowed to keep those two points when it was an obvious violation of the rule. I was really surprised to see those two points stand. Either way, I'm glad we won.

20. JE

JE Suspended

Well, who else lost I.Q. points reading this?