"To lose two points like that, it is a disgrace.'' - Ray Allen

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlayZa, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Yeah, my mistake. I lost track of the fact that this wasn't created by a Boston fan.

2. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

It's okay, I still love you.

3. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

currently there are 0 visitors on the Celtics site and 42 in the Blazers... that just might have something to do with why some things are discussed here

STOMP

4. RipCity71252

RipCity71252 Member

Although a Boston fan didn't start this thread, their were numerous amount of threads started by Celtic fans over at the ESPN message board concerning this topic. One guy went as far as saying that Boston got cheated out of the win. Saying that Boston should have been up by 7 at the half, not 5. :crazy: (would have been 6 without a blazer make at the buzzer.) Not trying to get an arguement started, just making a point.

Ripcity71252

5. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

It's funny; there was a 45% chance that we could have gone into halftime down only 4 instead of 5 if we'd played that play honest. So it evens out.

Ed's absolutely right in that the net result was the same; you're not going to see trick plays like that simply because you only net 1 point (2 off a 3-pointer) *and* you have get your play off before the officials see it. if they catch you before you score, it's a T and you have to play the next possession honest.

I remember seeing this once before in a Blazer game; the T was called before the whistle to inbound the ball was blown. That's when they're supposed to be counting bodies.

But, that play wasn't a disgrace (it was simply a rookie mistake)... that airball 3 from House? That was a disgrace! I wonder if KG made House cry later.

:D

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

But are there, like, four Boston fans on this site? ;)

In the teeming masses of our Blazers presence here, we have some wild cards.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MYtjpIwamos&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MYtjpIwamos&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ed O.

7. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I have come to expect a half dozen or so blatant bad calls every game from the refs. This one is bad, not so much in the decision that the basket counted (although that does suck) but that the refs were not able to catch 6 players on the court. The state of reffing in the NBA has become laughable. I think the NBA needs to train it's refs all year round and more competent ones need to be hired. This reffing mistakes are starting to decide way too many outcomes.

8. RipCity71252

RipCity71252 Member

Honestly, that call had almost no impact on the outcome of the game, at all.

Now if you were speaking of the play were Pierce took 4 steps through the lane got a foul called and got the and 1 in the closing seconds of the game, then that's a different story.

9. Blazer_Hippie

Blazer_Hippie Batum getting ballsy!

How is an accident the most brazen form of cheating?

I think it's crazy that the basket stood, but that's the rule. I was at the game and the people I was around couldn't figure out what had happened. We heard the 6 man on the court call...but it didn't seem to make sense. Rewatching it later, I guess I can understand how the rule would have been that way in the past because if the 6th man was in the game for multiple possessions it would be difficult to untangle...but I'd bet money that the rule gets tweaked...

10. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I am not saying that specific call had any effect on the outcome. I am saying that 1) the ref's missing 6 players on the court is inexcusable, 2) the quality of reffing has been getting worse and worse over the past decade.

Separately, I am saying that if the refs are making 6+ bad calls a game, it does effect the outcome. And this is the case in almost any game won by fewer than 10 points when the reffing is sub-par. I think if the Blazers had been called with 6 men, there would have been the same outcome. But, when you add all the bad calls together, maybe the Blazers would have blown out the C's, or perhaps the C's would have won. Bad calls not only give points to the wrong team, but they also change the flow of the game and swing momentum.

My main point is that Stern is doing a real disservice to the NBA by not insisting that refs are held to a higher standard. They should be trained all year round and be paid all year round. The refs should be graded every game by a panel of other refs, and raises, bonuses, and firings should all hinge on these grades.

11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

yet even with the Donaghy scandal we still don't have these obvious things you (and many national media types) point to or anything close to the amount of transparency we were promised in the league's investigation of it's officials. Maybe the league has things set up the way they want them to be?

Here's an interesting read on this topic specifically raising questions about Donaghy's pal ref Scott Foster and their telephoning prior and post games... http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba/nba-ar...ng-statements-from-nba-officials-ar49353.html

STOMP

12. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    It reminds me a lot of of the American car companies producing shit in the 80's. They figured that as long as they kept it that way, they would make more money because people would replace their cars sooner and spend a lot getting them fixed. Well, they ended up creating an image of incompetence and by the time they actually turned things around and were producing quality, few trusted their product and went with other car manufactures instead. The NBA is creating the same image of incompetence and soon, more and more fans will spend their time following other sports that they can trust more.

13. fumanchu

fumanchu Active Member

What's funny is that the big bad defending champs are complaining that one point in the first half while they still had the lead supposedly knocked them off kilter for the rest of the game. Sounds like BS to me. Either they're not mentally tough or their making excuses. Ray Allen you missed a layup and a wide open three late in the game, so point the finger at yourself. You got beat, get over it.

Besides, as others have pointed out, the Blazers got hosed a couple times in the last minute of the game when it was crucial.

14. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Yeah.. BS, they had a five-point lead at halftime, and led by as many as seven in the third until we went on a 15-2 run. They didn't get the stops they needed down the stretch.

15. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

I made a thread about it, silly boys! (^.^)

16. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Simply not true.:tsktsk:

The Third Man scored a basket. The sixth man never touched the ball, so moot point.

17. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Actually, the 6th man (Oden, who was supposed to come out for Bayless) got the assist... so yeah...

But Tony Allen got free throws on a foul on the floor (top of the key) in the 4th, so it all evens out.

18. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I've read the non-stop whining by Boston fans in other forums about this call making a difference in the game. I've read multiple articles by Boston media hacks calling it a disgrace. It was a one point difference in the second quarter that was more than balanced out by multiple bad calls in Boston's favor in the 4th quarter when the game was actually on the line. But, in the end, Boston's loss had nothing to do with officiating.

They were out rebounded 44 - 29 and gave up 13 offensive rebounds for 20 second chance points. So, Ray-Ray and all the other Boston whiners, there's your disgrace. Rather than whine about a call that made a one point difference in a five point loss, rather than constantly talking trash and throwing throw cheap shot elbows, try boxing out next time.

BNM

19. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

What bothers me is the article calling it "blatant fraud". It was not. It was a mistake. To call it fraud means the writer is saying Portland deliberately put 6 men on the floor hoping they would not get caught. Pretty dumb; sooner or later someone would notice. Not to mention saying that Nate and the players were all dishonest instead of Greg making a booboo.

20. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Yep. It attributes bad intentions where none existed. Oh, well. Lazy writing.

Ed O.