Toronto Raptors @ Utah Jazz preview

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Stockton, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Toronto Raptors (14-13) @ Utah Jazz (15-13)

Key Stats

Utah home reocrd: 11-3
    Toronto road record: 5-9
    Last met: Teams have not met this season
    Standings: Jazz 8th Western Conference (.536), Raptors 5th Eastern Conference (.519)

Probable Starters

Jazz/Raptors

PG: Carlos Arroyo/ Alvin Williams
    SG: Deshawn Stevenson/ Jalen Rose
    SF: Matt Harpring/ Vince Carter
    PF: Andrei Kirilenko/ Donyell Marshall
    C: Greg Ostertag/ Chris Bosh
    Coach: Jerry Sloan/ Kevin O'Neill

Key Bench Players

Jazz: Raul Lopez, Raja Bell, Jarron Collins
    Raptors: Lonny Baxter, Morris Peterson, Michael Curry

Injuries

Utah: Keon Clark, Michael Ruffin, Curtis Borcahrdt
    Toronto: Mengke Bateer, Michael Bradley, Eric Montross

Keys to the game

Jazz

1. Vince Carter. He is capable of getting 30+ points and is leading the Raptors this year, and has been for a number of years when he was not injured. If Utah can limit him to under 15-20 points, Toronto will struggle.
    2. Size. Utah have a size advantage, which they must take advantage of. Normally Utah are undersized at the PF and C spots combined, but in this game they're not. They can control the points in the paint and rebounds.
    3. Late runs. Utah have let teams catch up from large deficits in the 3rd quarter, and then the opposing team have got close to taking the lead or taken it. If Utah get ahead, they need to play it out and not let Toronto get a chance of a comeback.

Raptors

1. Scoring. Toronto are going to need scoring from all of their starters, not just Vince Carter. Donyell Marshall will have a hard time scoring as long as AK47 is on the floor, but Jalen Rose can and should score a lot.
    2. Rebounding. Toronto are undersized, and Utah can rebound very well. They need to concentrate on allowing very little offfsenive boards for Utah and try to get a few offensive rebounds themselves.
    3. Andrei Kirilenko. Could easily score and rebound more than usual with a smaller PF in Donyell Marshall going up against him. Donyell, a former Jazzman, must stop the extremely versatile AK47 dominating him.

Key Matchup

SF: Matt Harpring vs. Vince Carter

Prediction: Utah have had rest, are back at home and Toronto aren't a good road team so Utah by 9. 92-83.

2. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

Nice preview.

I think that the Jazz are better team and win this game. Expecially since they are at home.

Jazz by 8

3. MVPlaya

MVPlaya JBB Banned Member

I take the Raptors, with thier new reloaded team. Jazz have been kinda quiet as of late, and Raptors have a powerful team that I should be able to get pass the Jazz.

VC, Marshall, Rose, Bosh...

4. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

Hopfully we can get this one .. we really need it !!!

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MVPlaya:</div><div class="quote_post">I take the Raptors, with thier new reloaded team. Jazz have been kinda quiet as of late, and Raptors have a powerful team that I should be able to get pass the Jazz.

VC, Marshall, Rose, Bosh...</div>

I don't think you are aware Raptors have lost 5 out of their last 6.So really Raptors have struggled more lately than the Jazz.

6. ~Fatality~

Yeah, the Raptors have gone kerplunk after those first five wins. And the Jazz are a rock solid team in the WEST.

7. BallerAK47

BallerAK47 JBB JustBBall Member

I say Jazz by 9. The Jazz play excellent at home and I believe they are playing pretty well right now as opposed to the Raps

8. Stockton

Stockton JBB

50-45 to the Raptors at half time, Mo Pete hit a 3 with a second left. Greg Ostertag isn't playing for some reason, probably either suspension or injury. Utah are missing him now.

9. BallerAK47

BallerAK47 JBB JustBBall Member

Jazz win 97-94

10. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

damn...I was predicting a Close WIN by the Raptors...not a close loss...

ohh well, who watched? opinions?

11. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Utah seem to let teams back in when they seem to have the game won. If you didn't hear it, 4 seconds left, Utah up by 5, Alvin Williams shoots a 3, but misses, and is fouled by Raul Lopez. Makes all 3 FT's. Utah by 2, 4 seconds left with the ball. Andrei Kirilenko loses the ball through a bad pass, Toronto call a Timeout. Vince then gets a game equalising 2 points and it goes into OT. At the end of OT, Raptors are down by 3 and have a chance to send it into a 2nd OT, but Jalen Rose misses and it's over. Jazz win 97-94.

12. ~Fatality~

When I saw the score at halftime I was supprised. But, the ending score wasn't much of a shocker.

Jazz are a very good team, I hope they don't get gobbled up by the West playoff brackets.

Good game Jazz.

13. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Prophecy:</div><div class="quote_post">When I saw the score at halftime I was supprised. But, the ending score wasn't much of a shocker.

Jazz are a very good team, I hope they don't get gobbled up by the West playoff brackets.

Good game Jazz.</div>

Not surprising coming from this bulls fan...always has something to say about the Raptors, they must be on your mind all the time. Or you must really hate the Raptors for whatever reason(Trade maybe?) Or jealousy?

14. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

tmac15, you said too much good stuff for your Jazz and too much bad stuff for the Raptors. Plus, the Jazz arent "great" at rebounding at all. They are 23rd (I think) in the league.

But we lost to a Russian and a Spanish guy if you ask me.

15. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Prophecy:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, the Raptors have gone kerplunk after those first five wins. And the Jazz are a rock solid team in the WEST.</div>

Better than you on going, never ending "Kurplunk" :P

16. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting vinsanity03:</div><div class="quote_post">tmac15, you said too much good stuff for your Jazz and too much bad stuff for the Raptors. Plus, the Jazz arent "great" at rebounding at all. They are 23rd (I think) in the league.

</div>

Even though Utah are 22nd in the league in rebounding, they get 41.448 rebounds a game, and their opposition get 35.517. Dallas, the 2nd best rebounding team in terms of rebounds per game get 46.714 and allow 45.179. Utah dont get heaps of rebounds, but they don't let the opposition get more, and that's what I'm getting at.

17. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting vinsanity03:</div><div class="quote_post">tmac15, you said too much good stuff for your Jazz and too much bad stuff for the Raptors. Plus, the Jazz arent "great" at rebounding at all. They are 23rd (I think) in the league.

But we lost to a Russian and a Spanish guy if you ask me.</div>

Please look where this is

The Jazz forum

So he is bound to say good things about Jazz....Which is correct.

"But we lost to a Russian and a Spanish guy if you ask me"

[​IMG] good god

You lost to a TEAM which is exactly what the Jazz are.They play good hard nose defense.While sharing the ball very well on offense...No amazing superstars but they get the job done by playing very good team basketball.