Tortured’s State of the Blazers

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TorturedBlazerFan, Jun 8, 2019.

1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Wow, not much to follow up on this one. A "Blazer fan" who wishes we did worse. Scratching my head. Lillard is a fantastic player, but he can't do it alone and that's why basketball is a team game. Hard to imagine a better fan than you around this place.

Orion Bailey, Hoopguru and dviss1 like this.
  2. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Boom! :smack::biglaugh:

BonesJones and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  3. CupWizier

retired
    You have mistakenly assumed the teams aren't as good because the records aren't as good. It's called the league has more parity than in the past which many of you guys have been crying for and now it's a detriment to the league when it happens. Would you rather have 2 or 3 teams dominating the league or have a league where it comes down to the last week for many spots to be determined for the playoffs? I prefer the tight competition.

4. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

You most certainly can.

5. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Having more parity kind of means that teams aren't as good. Parity means less dominant teams, and hopefully less really bad teams. With everyone kind of wrapped together. I like the tight competition and parity, but it does create a situation where the best teams aren't as "good" and the worst teams aren't as bad. At least that is the goal of having 30 teams that are very competitive.

6. CupWizier

retired
    I have no problem with TBF as we have been conversing for years, but he did claim we weren't a good team this year and that simply isn't true. You don't finish as a 3rd seed and make it to the WCF (especially missing one of our top players and his backup being severely limited) if you aren't a good.team. Sorry you guys were so disappointed in the team this year, but apparently there is no level of happiness for the team for some of you. Constructive criticism is one thing but when the same criticisms are repeated ad nauseum on a daily basis it becomes very stale very quickly and regardless of what some might think, nothing discussed in this forum changes anything and has nothing to do with what this team does. Good luck in finding your nirvana as it appears you will never find it with this team. If I was always as unhappy with this team as I find some in here are, I would look to find a different hobby.

Hoopguru and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  7. kjironman1

You think that was a temper tantrum? And you think it's me that needs to change something? But of course i'm not the one that was on S2 arguing with multiple posters all day yesterday about the same thing over and over again.
    Go ahead and look at my post count kid. Now i have another full day ahead of me. I'll be back and check on the forum again when i am done with my day.

8. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I'm actually not that unhappy with the team. When I said they weren't a good team it was in reference to a healthy GS team. However I'm unhappy with some aspects of the team, I'm sort of optimistic about next year. Though it'll be an interesting summer with some hard decisions they have to make. Also not totally sure what to expect in terms of Nurkic. I'm hoping by the end of the season he's played himself into basketball shape and they can make another run at it.

Hoopguru likes this.
  9. CupWizier

retired
    Huh? Parity doesn't mean the top teams become worse. Let's say in theory that the bottom 4 teams in each division improved 5 wins more than the year past because they improved their talent. That's 40 more losses for teams above them. In order to get those 5 wins each they would have to beat the teams above them thus creating more losses for better teams thus parity. That doesn't mean the top teams got worse.

I remember after last years playoffs all the doom and gloom in this forum about how we will never be good and that the Pelicans exposed us in the playoffs. Where were the Pelicans this year and where did we finish? That's why I don;t overreact up or down and have more patience. I just take it one year at a time and enjoy the journey. Makes for a lot less frustrating life.

Hoopguru and kjironman1 like this.
  10. CupWizier

retired
    Hey, take it easy on bonesy 2.0 as he had a serious knee injury his first year in college that limited him to playing in all 27 games otherwise he'd be in the NBA by now.

11. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    It means that the talent is spread around to more teams, which means the dominant teams can't have as much talent. It means the bottom teams have more talent. The bad teams handing the good teams more losses is part of the equation, but the other side of parity is that the good teams hand the bad teams more win, by getting worse. The way the NBA tries to establish parity is by the Salary Cap and the cba rules, which is entirely meant to keep super teams from happening and good players to stay with their franchise longer. It is my opinion that parity is an attempt to drag everyone towards the mean, both the good and the bad teams are part of that.

12. kjironman1

That isn't a "Curve" grade TBF
    That is the sum of your grades and the average. I'm a teacher. Your C+ is a hard grading system.
    You gave the Guards an A and that is the only reason you got up to C+. It's actually funny because that has been the thing a bunch of the NEGS want changed. The first name that comes up when trade discussion comes up is CJ. Except maybe Meyers and ET if that is your preference.
    Then you gave the Centers a B+ but seem to completely side step the fact that they went to the WCF's without their starting center. Why did that happen? Because the GM who got a C+ made huge moves and shored up the team and don't you even think for a second that the Blazers would not have been way better with Nurk and Kanter as a one two punch.
    Oh yeah and then there is the coach. C..... But all three of the other coaches that made conference finals are great coaches. You can't even see a B out of that?

13. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    When did I say Kerr, Nurse or Budenholzer were great coaches? It is grading on a curve you think that top should all be given A's or B's because they're at the top. Even if they don't really deserve an A score-wise. I'm saying the best teams this year are only B to B+ teams. There really isn't an A out there. Grading on a curve means the top of the class gets A's, even if the top of the class hit 80 percent.
    I actually see Budenholzer much like I see Stotts I think he's a much better regular season coach than a playoff coach.
    the "negs" as you call them only bring up CJ because he's the most significant trade chip that could (maybe) net them a big-time guy when packaged with other pieces.

14. kjironman1

I know. Serious Knee injury. I get a full ride scholarship Division One Baseball and play Red Shirt in Football plus out of College go Professional in Rugby for the Portland Jesters (ORSU) and make the American Eagles 2 years. Then play for the Army Rangers RFC between deployments but this kid thinks he has some kind of special experience. We better go easy on him for sure.

Propagandist and riverman like this.
  15. kjironman1

I got to this line and am in disbelief?
    Are you actually saying they are not great coaches?
    Never mind TBF.
    I got a bunch to do today. No time for this.
    Hope you enjoy your day.

16. CupWizier

retired
    Well, let's just leave it as I think the Blazers were a pretty good team this year.

17. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    I think Kerr is, I'm not sure about Nurse definitely a great 1st year, but it's one year. Budenholzer I already said I think he's a really good regular season coach not sure after that.
    Have yourself a good day.

kjironman1 likes this.
  18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I liked this post. But from now on your quota for swish3's in a post is at least 3.

Figure. It. Out.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

actually ignoring you doesn't work....something to do with you being on the 3 on 3 team....

20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This post doesn't show respect the the OP. It wreaks of ignorance and accusation of @TorturedBlazerFan not thinking for himself. The name of the thread is

Tortured’s State of the Blazers.

NOT @BonesJones state. I've met TBF and know for a FACT he thinks for himself. So to you and the others that liked your post, PUT SOME RESPECT ON HIS NAME....

If you're gonna talk shit... You should at least tag bones in the post. :dunno: