TPE

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Sep 25, 2017.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst

Exactly.

2. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

I also don't think we know what we have, not only competitive-wise, but where the holes are and what skill set we're missing. I can see NO holding the TPE until he identifies what we need on this roster.

3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Looks like Quick read this thread

http://www.csnnw.com/portland-trail-blazers/breakfast-blazers-olshey-may-not-be-done-roster

“But things are not over yet,’’ Olshey said. “We have the biggest trade exception in the league; we are still aggressive.’’

A trade exception is valuable in acquiring a player from a team that is looking to dump salary by absorbing the contract without having to give anything back in return. In other words, the Blazers can acquire a player making $12.9 million without having to give up anyone. The Blazers get a good player, the other team gets cap relief.

The $12.9 million trade exception was acquired because the Blazers sent out more money with Crabbe’s contract (about $19 million) than they got in return from Brooklyn in the form of Andrew Nicholson’s contract (about $6 million). Nicholson was later waived.

The Blazers have until July 2018 to use the exception, and it could be something that it utilized quickly, such as if Cleveland needs to move salary to sign Dwyane Wade, the Blazers could facilitate by absorbing Iman Shumpert and his $10.3 million contract.

Or it could be used later in the season, perhaps after a team that thought it would be a contender falls out of a race, or decides to go in a different direction. The point is, Olshey still has a chip he can play in improving the roster.

For reference, here are examples of some players who could be absorbed using the $12.9 million: Denver’s Kenneth Faried ($12.9 million); Washington’s Marcin Gortat ($12.8 million), Sacramento’s Zach Randolph ($12.3 million), Charlotte’s Kemba Walker ($12.0 million), Orlando’s Terrence Ross ($10.5 million), Detroit’s Jon Leuer ($10.4 million).

Certainly, none of those names are as impactful as a Paul George or Carmelo Anthony, but they could be pieces that improve the roster, even if it means going over the luxury tax threshold, which owner Paul Allen has made clear he does not fear.

4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Doesn't know what we have? It's literally the same roster. He should have a general idea by now

5. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

I would take Faried as a stop-gag at PF and he told DEN if they won't start him (and the won't with Milsap) that he wants out.

6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yes this makes the most sense to me.

I also agree it could be used around the trade deadline if we are playing well, but it would take an injury for us to use it. I mean if we are playing well already why add another one of those players listed? We would need a replacement player IMO, not an addition to the bench.

e_blazer and PtldPlatypus like this.
  7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Wade is going to Cleveland. Shumpert has to be really available now.

8. BLAZINGGIANTS

You've never coached basketball, have you?

Players develop, roles change, some players regress. What may have been a weakness last year, may now be a strength, especially with a full year of Nurk. What may have been a strength last year may now be a weakness. I'd give the team time to grow and move forward together and spend my TPE where I can help the roster the most.

I'm no expert, so I don't pretend to know exactly what we have with this roster. And I'm not sure how anyone can be so sure, considering the changes the last quarter of the season, and we have one of the youngest rosters with a lot of guys developing and learning. But maybe you know exactly what we have, so good on you for that.

BBert and SIeepwalker like this.
  9. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

It’s great to have a trade exception, but unfortunately there are no players in the salary dump range that are worth going into luxury tax for... the only player I might consider is Derrick Favors... besides him, the exception is worthless IMO

10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Hypothetical best-case scenario--NY realizes they need another ball-handler more than they need outside shooting and decides Turner would be a good option. We swap Turner for Courtney Lee at the trade deadline, using the TPE to absorb Lee's contract, generating an even larger TPE with a much later expiration date by sending out Turner, and getting us under the tax line in the process.

11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Save the condescending bullshit thanks. Ironic since that's exactly what you were complaining about in another thread as the reason you're going to leave

12. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

As a rebuilding team, I really don't think the Knicks are interested in acquiring any overpaid players over the age of 25. Even if Turner filled a need, I doubt if they'd be interested in a 29-year old role player making $18 million a year with two and a half years left on his contract.

BNM

13. BLAZINGGIANTS

It's not condescending, but take it how you want to. You tend to read that from people cuz most of your posts could be interpreted that way, it seems (talking about leaving had nothing to do with condescending posts, by the way - absolutely nothing. It was about people being crybabies and/or pricks). I'm just not pretending to know everything, thanks. You clearly missed the part where I said I don't take this place serious, and everything I say is with humor or tongue-in-cheek.

In case you weren't aware, this is one of the youngest teams in the league. Having coached a little, teams and players change year-to-year. I wouldn't be in a hurry to use the TPE, unless something comes along that you can't afford not to jump on. We don't know what we have with this team. You seem to think we do. But we really don't. What if the last 20 games with Nurk were an illusion? What if they were just scratching the surface? What if Swanigan is the answer at PF? What is Harkless steps up his game? What if Dame becomes Steph Curry with this roster?

Trackjack likes this.
  14. PtldPlatypus

A guy can dream, can't he?

15. Storyteller2

Storyteller2 Player Salary Geek

Maybe - just maybe - the Blazers might use a small portion of the Trade Exception to bring in another player. Given the state of the team finances (ie, needing to pay Nurk next summer), I would be shocked if they used most or all of it either this season or next summer. IMO, it'll never be used at all.

Think of it this way - last summer, one part of the team's strategy seemed to me to be "Let's stockpile resources to be able to make a trade at some point for a center." Re-signing Crabbe could be seen as one of those resources, to be able to use his $$$ to match salaries in a trade for a big man. But in the end, the team didn't need to send that salary to get their center, but they did (and do) still need to send out that salary to make financial room for Nurk. So sending AC to the Nets served as the necessary salary dump to keep the tax bill from being overwhelming. As such, it would make sense that the team would just let the TPE expire and go unused - unless a gift comes their way that just can't be turned down. I don't expect that kind of gift to be offered, so I don't expect the TPE to be used.

16. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I'm in shock. You're still alive?

Storyteller2 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  17. PtldPlatypus

Storyteller is immortal, even if also usually invisible...

Storyteller2 and e_blazer like this.
  18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

LOVE the Avatar.

19. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

This is what I was thinking. Either we get a guy on a rookie deal who makes much less than the 12 mil, or we just absorb the cap savings. I don't see that much benefit in getting a washed up, overpaid role player like Shumpert.

Something like Herzonja, Bender, etc for a future pick and the TPE.

Wizard Mentor and Pinwheel1 like this.
  20. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

More like a fantasy than a dream...

BNM