TPE

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

No, we didn't play great after getting Theo. He blocked a shit ton of shots, and that was fun to watch, but the team went 17-15 with Theo with a scoring differential of +0.7. With Nurk, we went 14-6 with a +9 scoring differential.

Theo was a one trick pony. He could block shots, but was a weak rebounder, nonexistent passer (his 3.1 AST% made Dale Davis look like Magic Johnson) and couldn't score to save his life. Nurk is a MUCH more complete player.

But, perhaps the biggest difference is age. Theo was already over 30 when we acquired him. Nurk was 22.

BNM

BBert likes this.
  2. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Yep. Theo blocked everything in sight for the last few weeks of the season. The fans went crazy. Paul Allen went crazy. Uncle Paul gave Theo a crazy contract, and that's the last we saw of that version of Theo Ratliff. IIRC, he injured his shoulder, but still. Never saw the same guy after that.

:cheers:

3. Boob-No-More

Yep, and it was really more about Davis being pissed about his decreased role than it was about the weather.

BNM

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Yes that was definitely Dale Davis.

Well, maybe I should never use the word 'definitely' around you jackals, LOL, but I'm pretty sure it was Davis.

:cheers:

5. Boob-No-More

I was a Theo fan, but thought that contract was a stupid move at the time. It was another John Nash bidding against himself boneheaded move (see Darius Miles). Theo still had another year left on his contract, but rather than making the 31-year old Theo prove he was worth it, Nash handed him that ridiculous extension a year early.

BNM

Blazers Roy and BBert like this.
  6. Boob-No-More

It was.

BNM

7. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Cue the "HCP is a racist" posts in 5...4...3...

8. BLAZINGGIANTS

Ironically, Theo was taken with the #18 draft pick previously owned by Portland by Detroit (when we traded our own pick plus an acquired pick, which was from the Drexler trade, IIRC). Blazers drafted Respert, traded him for Gary Trent. Then traded Otis Thorpe to the Pistons to get back one of the picks (Randolph Childress). We had received the #8 and hoped to deal that with Strickland for the #4 pick and Calbert Cheney or Rex Chapman to draft Sheed or more possibly, KG. We failed. Then made the same essential trade a year later.

That and the following summer were wild summers for Blazers fans. Man, sometimes I miss Trader Bob.

BBert likes this.
  9. Boob-No-More

And the circle remains unbroken...

Draft Express currently has us taking Gary Trent Jr. in their 2018 mock draft.

BNM

10. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Don't worry, guys. Just need to find another disgruntled, incredibly talent player that is on his first contract..... a new Nurk if you will? Olshey, I am waiting....

11. BLAZINGGIANTS

Haha. That'd be kinda cool.

And really, Washington made that deal with us the following summer in the aftermath of the Juwan Howard-to-Miami debacle. Juwan signed, but Zo Mourning said he signed first, so the NBA voided Howard's contract (cuz Miami could go over the cap for Zo, but not to sign someone else's free agent) and he then went back to the then-Bullets. What a cluster that year was. Lots of CBA issues that year, too.

12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Hezonja? Lol

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  13. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

There no rush by using it at this time. I think he going to wait to see how the team does before he use it. But due to it so much I believe eventually he will use it before itexpires.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Can't tell me he wouldn't help. We're not getting a star or a real impact player for a TPE, not now, not next summer. That's essentially a salary dump for another team. Shumpert fits the caliber of player we'd get. I say go for it.

Dame
    CJ
    Shumpert
    Swanigan/Aminu
    Nurkic

CJ
    Turner
    Harkless
    Aminu/Swanigan
    Davis/Collins/Leonard

15. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I think the ideal scenario, would be if Washington wanted to shed the contract of Marcin Gortat. Imaging being about to bring him off the bench for Nurkic.

16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

That would be amazing. He's also a guy that gives Nurkic (along with every other euro center) the most problems so going up against him in practice can only make Nurk better.

17. Boob-No-More

Yeah, that would be cool to have both the Bosnian Beast and the Polish Hammer patrolling the paint for us (Bad Boys indeed!), but why would WAS give up their only decent center for a TPE? Gortat started all 82 games for them last season and played 2556 minutes. That's 2001 more minutes than their backup center, Ian Mahimni played. WAS was already a top 4 seed in the East and could be even better and go deeper in the playoffs this year. If they hope to, they will need Gortat.

I know you said to save money, but they would need to replace Gortat with someone. His $13 million salary is reasonable for what he gives you, and at the trade deadline, he'd have less than a season and a half left on his contract. Ian Mahimni is the guy they'd like to dump, but he makes too much to match our TPE (it's crazy that he makes $3 million a year more than Gortat) and he has an extra year left on his contract. Plus, I really won't want him even if he was free.

WAS is currently over the tax threshold, but they would be better off waiving and stretching Mahimni that giving away Gortat for nothing. In either case, they'd still be over the cap. So, they would be very limited in who they can get to fill the vacated roster spot (and in Gortat's case, fill his role).

BNM

18. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Agreed, if we're going to live in fantasy land, then forget the TPE and trade for Avery Bradley.

Boob-No-More and blue9 like this.
  19. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

I disowned the 5th prunetang a long time ago.
    This may sound sacrilegious, but I personally think trading for Bradley would make us a better team than the failed Carmelo trade.

20. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Thanks dude. Funny thing is that I saw your avatar last night and it inspired me to make that.

dviss1 likes this.