Tracy McGrady or Vince Carter

Discussion in 'Out of Bounds' started by pegs, Aug 24, 2008.

?

Tracy McGrady or Vince Carter?

1. Tracy McGrady

62.5%
  2. Vince Carter

37.5%
  1. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

Oscar Robertson was less popular than several members of the Boston Celtics, so by your logic he wasn't as good as Tom Heinsohn.

The more you attempt to explain it, the less sense you are making. This isn't OTR, step up your game.

2. cpawfan

Since Canada doesn't count according to you, we are now cutting down significantly on Vince's fan base

3. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I'm not saying that popularity is the only way that defines your career, but it does have some importance to a casual NBA fan.

Carter has done more in his career than McGrady has. He has gotten past the first round with worse team than some of McGrady's, won rookie of the year, and has been called the greatest dunker of all time. McGrady may be the better scorer, but when both were in their primes and when both are motavated and healthy, I would take Vince over T-Mac.

OTR isn't in this discussion tough guy so stop trying to look cool in front of your members. :rolleyes:

4. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Canada actually has a team in the NBA unlike other countries, so I guess they should count too.

5. cpawfan

Brian just blew your casual NBA fan theory out of the water by talking about global impact.

Glad to see you moving away from the popularity thing, which was my point from the start. Now lets talk about defense.

No, but your lack of a point is. I could have just called you stupid, but that wouldn't be very nice.

6. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Both are lazy defenders, but when they try I say there equal.

This guy is supposed to be an admin? lol

7. cpawfan

Well that is 100% incorrect. TMac isn't a lazy defender and he guards more positions than Vince.

You are the one making no sense, not me.

8. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Well according to a few Rocket fans I know, he's lazy on defense. And from what I've seen from Vince, when he actually plays defense, he isn't ad bad as everyone makes it seem.

9. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

I'm not an expert on Carter's defense, but my general impressions are he's decent when he wants to be. I could say the same thing about Tracy. His former coach, Jeff Van Gundy, has said on a number of occasions that Tracy has all the ability to be the best defender at his position, if he wants to be. And he'll show flashes of stellar defensive play in stretches.

But, on the whole, I would say he is a lazy defender. Actually, I think he tends to be lazy on both ends. That's a tough critique, considering all the pressure that's put on him to perform each game, but it's the truth. He takes a lot of shots where he settles instead of attacks. He doesn't run hard in transition, in either direction. He doesn't like to expend energy chasing guards around the perimeter. It's one of the reasons that Shane Battier has been such a valuable player for the team the last few years. He does all the things on defense that Tracy doesn't want to do. I don't think we'd be anywhere near the same team defensively if we had T-Mac and Rudy Gay at our SG/SF position instead (but that's a topic for another thread ).

And yet, given all that, McGrady is still a great player. He's still a guy I'd rather go to war with than Vince Carter. He can't do it alone, and he has to be physically right. If the team is healthy next year, and Tracy can be somewhat fresh heading into the postseason, I trust more in his ability to rise to the occasion than I would Vince Carter under similar circumstances.

10. Legacy

Legacy Beast

See, he watches Rocket games and said McGrady's a lazy defender.

11. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Am I the only one amazed with Carter's high-flying ability, considering the huge nose he has?

12. Legacy

Legacy Beast

He's that good. lol

13. pegs

pegs My future wife.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was that difficult to understand.

It should be easy to figure out what I'm asking. If you're really gonna be that difficult with this, just don't vote.

14. cpawfan

I view lazy defense as such things as reaching instead of moving your feet, not rotating out to shooters and not going through screens. When I've watched TMac the past few years, I don't see that type of laziness.

I agree he doesn't give the effort to lock down on defense like he could, but none of the big name wings do. Even Kobe has periods where he coasts on defense. Perhaps it was just the coaches adjusting to TMac, but I saw a team defensive strategy that took advantage of Battier and allowed TMac to be just a team defender in the background.

15. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

I've seen it. If you've mostly watched him in national games, it's possible that he's just motivated a bit more to play hard.

That's a good point. All great offensive wing players will coast -- Kobe does it, Wade, LeBron. Maybe since I watch T-Mac all the time, I'm just more aware of those coasting moments for him.

16. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

I'm gonna have to say Tracy McGrady.

17. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case