Trade Ideas 2024 Offseason

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blazerkor, Apr 16, 2024.

?

How many players on our current roster will we trade this offseason?

1. 1

10.3%
  2. 2

30.8%
  3. 3

38.5%
  4. 4

10.3%
  5. 5 or more

10.3%
  1. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Fair point about having too many below average shooters. However, Daniels can is actually be a secondary playmaker, whereas Camara has zero chance of doing so.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  2. BankTeller

Yeah I couldn’t think of a good return for Brogdon. On one hand, if Brogdon doesn’t get a great return, it’d be better to keep him. On the other hand, we really can NOT afford to keep him, with the young guard talent we already have.

If Brogdon isn’t going to get even a late 1st, I would want to find a flyer on a young prospect I still believe in. I want to find a way to get into any Garland trade with Brogdon.

3. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Ideally we trade Brogdon this summer but if there's no protected FRP offer I'd wait until the deadline. Minimum I'd take in return is getting our pick owed to Chicago back, at the deadline.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I was thinking that the suggestion that Portland having 22 different players posting numbers was a valid excuse. But I just checked a few teams. Minny had 19; Denver had 17; both OKC and Dallas had 22, the same as Portland. LAC had 21; Boston 19; Indiana had 22

so, it seems pretty usual for teams to cycle thru a lot of players. I'd think those teams, with playoff possibilities, might have focused more on shooting. And certainly, it's pretty likely that Portland ran thru more rookies and inexperienced players than other teams. It might be a case that Portland's bad shooters, because of inexperience, also had bad shot selection

I don't think it matters much at this point. Portland's roster is in flux, as it should be with a 21 win team. I worry that Cronin wants to reduce the flux prematurely though. In an event, the Blazers should not draft any more bad shooters

Hoopguru likes this.
  5. SharpesTriumph

It was pretty obvious PDX didn't sign winning players, we had multiple Gleague guys starting or playing huge roles.

Portland could put out plenty of good shooters if needed, Brogdon Ant Sharpe Reath Grant. Ayton is efficient even if not stretching from 3.

Scoot shooting is a major concern - but that's only one player.

The rest of our roster is middling possible end of the rotation prospects so their shooting is pretty irrelevant until the Blazers transition to competing for the playoffs. At that time we'll just hope one or two have become rotational level players.

When drafting rookies I don't think we should under or over prioritize shooting any different than every rebuilding NBA team should. The draft is about long term value and we have no clue what those Blazers rosters will look like years from now. However if we sign some 12th man level free agent yes that would be the spot to put an emphasis on shooting. Or if we're looking at irrelevant veteran salary to eat in a trade - perhaps we should prefer shooters if selecting between different options.

6. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Yeah the guys's he drafted so far are not what I would consider above average shooters.

7. wizenheimer

a comparison: Portland had 2 players shot over 40% from three, Brogdon & Grant; and they were the only players who shot over 39%. OKC had 8 players who shot over 40% and 10 who shot over 39%

besides that, say the Blazers put together the best shooting lineup as starters: Brogdon-Ant-Thybulle-Grant-Ayton. That team would be lucky to to get 10th seed. That's a team getting their mail on a treadmill in purgatory

Brogdon and Grant have been the players most mentioned as trade chips, along with Timelord and Ant. Some of those players...the best shooters, should be moved and off the roster, so counting them as shooting credits to offset shooting debits seems unwise

well...who says other rebuilding teams didn't prioritize shooting? OKC sure did. Minny appeared to prioritize it. Indiana did

my point was that the NBA has evolved to the point that success seems more welded to good shooting than good defense or good rebounding. And with 1st round picks a team can essentially lock them in place for 7-9 seasons, so prioritizing shooting in a long terms sense seems wise

I do get what you're saying about looking for the best talent available. Amen Thompson is a historically bad three point shooter, but he's so good at most other aspects of the game he has significant value. But a team can't have more than one or two guys like him on the roster

8. Hoopguru

The Wolves have the best D in the league yet they haven't shot the ball well, especially threes. Dallas has owned the 3 point against them.

We better draft one of the better shooters and prioritize shooting over athleticism.

9. Hoopguru

10. BankTeller

A FRP from a guy that will be a FA even this summer is even a big ask imo. Waiting till the deadline only diminishes his value imo unless he’s lighting it up. But depending on our guard depth, we might not be afford to keep him because there aren’t minutes to go around.

But I really hope his value is closer to what you have it as than me.

11. SharpesTriumph

A lot of those teams have many players with great 3pt% because they first have very efficient offense that generates very good shot attempts for those shooters. For example it starts with OKC having Shae, Dallas having Luka, etc. The Blazers didn't have any of that.

Swap Sharpe Grant Brogdon Ant Reath etc on as role players for any of those teams efficient offense and those players would have shot much better. The problem was they had to be primary offense initiaters with the shitty talent on the Blazers roster. They had to try and fill larger roles than ideally they should. That causes a drop in efficiency.

Now I certainly think you may be right that shooting is the most important skill for NBA players and that a rebuilding team should prioritize that skill above others. I wasn't disagreeing with that.

My point was just that the Blazers players 3pt stats and 3pt production from last year shouldn't have any bearing on what type of skill set players the Blazers target in this draft.

Additionally, there is a huge difference in 3pt skill for a player drafted and 3pt competency over their NBA career - so that can be very hard to project.

A useful NBA role player needs a skill besides shooting - they can't provide much benefit if they are deficient in all other areas of an NBA game.

RR7 likes this.
  12. sheed30

sheed30 Well-Known Member

What are you talking about, Carter has played 7 seasons not 6? lol
    3 point shooting isn't important in the NBA today? ok

13. sheed30

Ant is overpaid? lol funny

14. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

And then watch us still miss out on the next Giannis or Jokic...

15. wizenheimer

he's played 6 seasons. His rookie season was 2018-19. Math is hard I guess

I never said that 3 point shooting wasn't important. I said it wasn't as important for a C/PF. Ayton never shoots them; Sabonis has only been shooting about 1 a game. Adebayo & Gobert never shoot them; same for Jarrett Allen and Nic Claxton. It can be helpful when a big makes them and WCJ has shot 36% on 3.5 a game over the last 2 seasons. That's what Duop Reath did this season. But generally, when bigs are hunting for three's, their offensive rebounding rate drops, so there is a trade-off

I agree that Carter's health is his biggest issue. He's only averaged about 54-55 games played a season. But Ayton has only averaged 59

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  16. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

I'm glad there are people out there that think he's paid fairly.... Gives me hope that the Blazers can dump him for value.

Ant has always been a net negative out on the court (when considering the entire season in context).

17. wizenheimer

was curious so I thought I'd look at the on/off for the Blazers in terms of team/opponent offensive ratings:

Brogdon +8.4
    Camara +8.2
    Murray +4.6
    Thybulle +3.0
    Reath +1.5
    Ayton +1.2
    Grant -.06
    Simons -1.4
    Sharpe -1.9
    Walker -2.5
    Banton -6.3
    Scoot -8.2

I'm not really surprised by anything on that list except for maybe Murray

obviously this is a pair of numbers that are heavily influenced by rotations, time spent against opposing 1st/2nd units. And of course, the more a player played over the last 20 games or so the worse his numbers were (Blazers were 2-15 over their last 17 games).

one thing is pretty clear, to me at least, is that Brogdon was Portland's best player. To lead the team in on/off, winshares/48, BPM, and VORP, as a guard is pretty persuasive

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  18. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

@Tince I was trying to tell you this at the start of the season!!!!!

19. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Watching these top playoff teams is a cruel reminder of just how far POR would have to go to be great team, let alone a contender. It is almost inconceivable.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  20. sheed30

Talking about math and you can’t even get it correct that he just finished his 7th season in his career? He has played 3 seasons with the Bulls and 4 with the Magic, that equals 7. Math is hard ya, for you!

3pt shooting is important since we talking about Carter and Ayton on the same floor together, someone pointed out KAT/Gobert can co exist but I was pointing out KAT is a great 3point shooter and Carter isn’t. Big difference
    Imo