Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I like this trade. The first is for getting rid of Leonard. As for McCollum, I am almost getting to the point where I think his contract, compared to who he is, is almost as bad as Turner's. Seems Gordon would be a better fit, even if he has faults. And he has the declining $ contract.

Apparently some guys like him:
    Aaron Gordon is an athletic marvel. Remember when he jumped over the Magic mascot while putting the ball underneath his legs in the 2016 dunk contest? I wouldn’t blame you for not watching the Magic, but Gordon makes similarly intoxicating athletic plays during games:
    With Gordon’s speed, ballhandling skill, and vertical explosiveness, you’d think the Magic would want to play fast to maximize those abilities. That has not been the case. The Magic play at a snail’s pace under new head coach Steve Clifford, ranking 29th in possession time after turnovers, 28th after made shots, and 15th after rebounds, per Inpredictable. Clifford modernized his offense last season with the Hornets, but he’s back to his old ways in his first year in Orlando. Opportunities for Gordon to show off his bounce have been limited.

The league has noticed. In an informal survey I conducted among sources on players most deserving of a role change, Gordon was the most common answer. Two executives said he could be used as a transition starter like Pascal Siakam is for the Raptors—and it’s clear why as soon as you see him he sprint up the floor or handle the rock. Another said there’s still some modern Blake Griffin in his game that’s still untapped. To unlock these skills, though, the Magic need to start playing faster.
    Gordon isn’t quite great enough of a scorer or playmaker to warrant being the man, but even the opportunities he’s getting in a smaller role have been marginalized. Gordon is playing a large chunk of his minutes at small forward with Jonathan Isaac at the 4, and Clifford structured the system to play through center Nikola Vucevic. Gordon’s all-around game allows him to shape-shift into different roles, but his skills are best suited for the small-ball 4, where he can attack mismatches as a playmaker by running pick-and-rolls or set screens and pop or roll. Gordon is a lob threat off the ball, and he’s turned into a solid spot-up shooter, hitting 37.8 percent of his catch-and-shoot 3s since the start of last season. Without a system that maximizes his strengths in the open floor or the half court, it’s possible that Gordon won’t find his true self until he’s on a team that plays fast.

With a four-year, $80 million contract that declines in salary each season, he should be an appealing trade target for teams willing to take a swing on a player who’s shown flashes but hasn’t put it all together. It might be in the Magic’s best interest to someday make a move if the return is strong, but Gordon could make them regret it.

2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I've never been a fan of players that are that physically gifted but don't ever seem to translate that ability into being great on the court.

Now, it could just be that the Magic are a terrible organization. I just don't think we're currently the right team if he needs a fast paced style. His shooting suggests he's severely overrated though. Who cares if he can dunk over a mascot?

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I'd gladly take him as an improvement over Aminu. But, I wouldn't pay much to get him. He's certainly overpaid, so that reduces his value. I'd do Turner/Aminu and a protected pick.

4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Theoretically Gordon does more than just dunk a basketball. He can defend multiple positions, and I’ve always compared him to a Shawn Marion type. Not as good, but brings a similar skill set.

CE3B5FA2-3467-4492-9AF9-3519E0FD20F9.jpeg

These are their fifth year numbers. Both played on shitty teams, but I think Gordon would fit in really well in Portland. Orlando’s current front office didn’t draft him, have an in house replacement, and if they were looking to dump Gordon, we should consider it. They’d get Aminus bird rights, and he fits the type of lengthy player their front office likes. He’s also from Georgia and is probably open to staying closer to home. So something like Aminu, Leonard, Trent, and our pick for Gordon

5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

That's a good comparison.

But I don't think there's any way Orlando lets go of Gordon for anything less than CJ. They need a lead guard.

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Ok but I don’t think there’s any way we give up CJ for him.

FWIW, I believe the Magic were interested in Simons during the draft process. He’s also from Florida. Would you do Aminu, Leonard, and Simons for Gordon? I probably would, and I like Simons.

7. illmatic99

Without hesitation. Throw them our pick too. I see Gordon as a budding star on the right team. It's criminal how ORL keeps drafting guys at his position while ignoring all their guard holes.

Scalma likes this.
  8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I would but I was one of the few (if not only) that liked him out of college. He fits in Terry's offense. A front line of Nurk , Gordon, and Jake would be interesting. Two good leapers and 3 point shooters surrounding Nurk while spreading the floor for CJ and Dame

illmatic99 and Scalma like this.
  9. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I haven't watched Gordon enough to have a well-informed opinion. Whenever I have seen him play I've been very lukewarm on his talent. That said, the thing that stands out most to me in your comparison is that Marion was a SF masquerading as a PF, and could dribble the ball quite well - from my (admittedly limited) observation Gordon doesn't have the handles or abilities of a SF. Which is fine since he's a PF. But I just don't see untapped potential in him where he could have a Marion-like impact on a team.

10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

So they’d get a first for taking on Leonard. Then it’d be Simons, Aminu, and like $35M (don’t want to do the math on Simons contract) savings for Gordon. That seems close to me.

11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

When I compare them I’m more talking about their roles on a team. Super role players. Igoudala on the Warriors is another example. They’re not lead dogs but they can still make a big impact on a team.

12. illmatic99

Can we do a three way with Dallas and give em DSJ in exchange for salary relief?

Here's a basic framework.

upload_2019-1-17_15-23-27.png

Also, how the fuck does Simons still have a negative PER?

13. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Both Shawn and Iggy were good defenders. Both able to handle the ball. Two-way players who can put the ball on the floor - I don't see either of those things from Gordon. I get that you're going for "impact" rather than "style" or "production" - I just don't think a player who doesn't play both sides of the ball well can have that big of an impact. I think he'd be a moderate improvement over Aminu (which I'm totally fine with! But at what cost?).

14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Gordon is a good passer and defender as well.

15. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

02208C41-C486-4EC8-8D82-929026BD7C0C.jpeg

Not sure Dallas is getting enough, but there’s a baseline.

Edit: this is getting too wild no way Olshey gets this deep into his brain. We’ll get Prince for our pick and good night.

16. illmatic99

Ya that's terrible for Dallas. What site are you using for this?

Here's another if Magic are hellbent on making the playoffs this year:
    upload_2019-1-17_15-34-17.png

Send our pick MEM's way as well.

17. illmatic99

BTW, MEM is an interesting study. Their pick will go to BOS if it falls out of the top 8. They're currently tied for the 7th spot and will most likely tank like hell to make sure that pick does not convey (they're 1-9 in their last 10).

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I was just discussing this same concept on Twitter with Pinwheel Empire. Great minds, bro.

illmatic99 likes this.
  19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Why the fuck did we just recall Biggie? Makes no sense...unless.....

Ahh fuck it I’m not getting hooked in again.

20. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Everything I've read is that they want to convey that pick this year, to be done with it being in limbo.

hoopsjock and illmatic99 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.