Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

He's not even getting minutes in the GLeague. Played only 7 last night for some reason.

2. illmatic99

oof, just saw the protections. Top 7 this year, top 6 next year, and unprotected in 21.

All for Jeff Green.

I can understand that they want to convey this year, but they need some wins.

RR7 likes this.
  3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Its odd because he started, played seven minutes, got subbed, and never saw the court again. That’s not normal.

4. illmatic99

The box said he DNP cuz of an "injury/illness" two games prior. Maybe he's not feeling well?

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

That’s a boring explanation so probably right. Don’t know why they’d recall him though.

6. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    well if he is injured then likely to help him rehab.

7. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Keep in mind we only have 4 bigs when he's down, including Aminu. We're a lot deeper at guard.

8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

But they don’t really need him. They have three centers and enough options at the four. It would be much more beneficial for him, and the team, to play.

9. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Allow me to offer a cynical theory. Going into that draft, Stotts wanted an NBA ready player -preferably a stand-in-the-corner-and-shoot-3s guy. Instead, Olshey stuck him with a "project" big man. He can mostly ignore Zach and try to pad his resume with regular season wins, or he can invest time in developing Zach and watch Olshey and the next Blazer coach reap the rewards.

10. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since it seems like you've watched him play more than I have. Maybe the handful of times I've seen him play he's been less than his usual.

11. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    He's a decent passer, might be good if he had better teammates. He's a decent defender, but mostly that is because he is athletic so people assume he's a good defender.

I'm with you. I don't think Gordon is a good basketball player yet. It could be the Magic or it could be that he is so physically gifted that he can get by without putting in hard work.

I wouldn't give up CJ or Collins to find out. Sure I'd be fine trading others though.

12. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Looking at how many Orlando players made a leap after leaving that team (Oladipo, Harris) I would probably jump at the chance to get Gordon as well.

Pridan, tester551 and brooklynballer like this.
  13. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I’m convinced this use Durant’s last season as a Warrior.

14. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Tobias Harris didn't really have a huge jump in any of his stats until this year though. He was traded from Orlando 3 years ago.

Victor Oladipo actually had a decrease in a lot of advanced stats on OKC (which can be explained). Last year he had a huge year but this year his advanced numbers are trending back towards his career numbers.

I just don't know how you can conclude that either player had a jump simply because they left Orlando.

15. Pridan

Pridan Active Member

Maybe it's because I rate Gordon highly and see him as someone who will breakout in the right environment (keep in mind he's never played with a decent PG, let alone Dame), but I would do the proposed trade (CJ+Harkless/Leonard+1st for Gordon+Ross - maybe a 2nd comes back).

We'd look like this:

Dame
    Ross
    Layman
    Gordon
    Nurkic

Curry
    Turner
    Harkless/Aminu*
    Aminu/Collins*
    Collins/Leonard*

(Depending on who is traded/who stays)

16. illmatic99

I think the point is that they didn't reach their full potentials in Orlando, which is true. The fact that they had to go to a third team to finally break out doesn't make the premise invalid.

17. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    No it doesn't make it invalid. All I care about is how someone will be on the Blazers. If were not the team to make Gordon better then he's not the answer. As long as we have Stotts (and probably Dame too) we hardly get fast break points and other than designed back screens we rarely throw lob passes out of the pick and roll. So we literally suck at the two things that would help Gordon become better than he is now.

CJ had a breakout year too. Then his numbers slid back down. Oladipo is experiencing the same thing this year. It could be because of injuries and small sample size but it could also be because last year was an outlier like CJ's good year and that he's regressing back to his normal self. Harris is on a team with no star. It's the first time in his career he's been asked to kind of carry a team. What do those situations have in common? They both went to situations where they could be the man on their third team. Gordon wouldn't be the man here with Dame and Nurk already established.

I understand the premise of hoping he'd break out but if that is the only reason for giving up CJ and a 1st round pick for him then that is a pretty big risk.

I also have to ask, why do you think CJ or anyone would be good on Orlando if every player would be better somewhere else? Do you think Dame would be bad on the Magic? I'm guessing the answer is no. At some point you have to consider that some of these guys just don't have what it takes to be a great player.

18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Otto Porter - F - Wizards
    According to Zach Lowe of ESPN, the Wizards aren't interested in trading away Otto Porter for cap relief or young players.

There were some rumors floating around that the struggling Wizards might be willing to deal Otto Porter and the $55 million remaining on his current contract. However, here's the full quote from Lowe's latest column: "The Wizards have shown little appetite for dealing Otto Porter anywhere for a return heavy on future assets and cap flexibility, sources say."
    ——-

We can forget about him if true.

19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

DeAndre' Bembry, finding his footing
    A year ago, Bembry didn't look like an NBA player. He could barely dribble. He had the worst turnover rate in the league.

The on-court struggles were understandable, and didn't matter compared to what Bembry must have been going through away from basketball. He was mourning the June 2016 shooting death of his brother, Adrian Potts.

Bembry's play this season has been one of the league's happiest stories. He is Atlanta's best defender, hounding opponents across all three perimeter positions. He has a more sophisticated, confident pick-and-roll game. He can change speeds, loft high-arching layups with either hand, and even manipulate help defenders with mean pass fakes:

Kevin Huerter, John Collins and Dewayne Dedmon -- is plus-25 in 74 minutes. Atlanta is 8-7 over its past 15 games, coinciding almost exactly with Lloyd Pierce trying that group.

Let's not go crazy. Bembry still turns the ball over too much. He struggles shooting outside the restricted area. But he looks competent -- like he belongs. That is a start.

——-

Prince is probably there for the taking.

hoopsjock likes this.
  20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I still can’t come up with a better trade partner than Atlanta. A Dedmon/Prince package is pretty much best case scenario for Portland, not only for the playoff run, but for the summer as well. Bigger trades, involving CJ for example, aren’t gonna happen in the middle of a season, especially not this one.

Dedmon and Prince for Leonard, one or two of Baldwin/Swanigan/Trent, and a first rounder either this year or next.

A cost effective move that also upgrades Portland’s rotation, while Atlanta takes on Leonard in exchange for a pick, and adds one or two young, cheap players with no long term commitments.

Pridan and TBpup like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.